Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we cut Culliver?

• boast
  • Hella Fame
nope
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ninerhippy:
The bottom line in my view is Culliver just isn't a smart player, on or off the field, if Eric Reid is the Harbaugh type player than Culliver doesn't fit and our secondary will never grow to become a solidified unit with guys like Culliver apart of it. Our secondary already struggles with communication and lapses in coverage. We need to build rapport and I don't think Culliver contributes much in that regard. He's not a leader, and is not reliable.

This defense is full of grit and heart and we don't need Guys like Culliver screwing it up being selfish.

You are confusing off-the-field choices with on-the-field production. On the field, he's a terrific player and fits right in with our secondary and was in line to START over guys like Brown and Rogers two years ago like how Brock won a spot over both last year. If he doesn't demonstrate good decisions on the field, he rides the bench. Period.

I agree that there's a difference between off-the-field choice and on-the-field production, but IMHO, it's going to be really hard for Culliver to avoid jail time. Hit-and-run, fleeing the scene, and threatening someone who tried to prevent him from fleeing the scene is a HUGE problem. This is much different in terms of the law between what happened with Aldon who soft-crashed his own car into a pole and essentially turned himself in soon thereafter. Culliver was arrested as a fugitive. I just can't see him avoiding any jail time and then there will certainly be a significant slap from the league when he gets out of jail.

Sure maybe we don't cut him but I don't think that matters at this point. His actions definitely mean he will not be available this year. I simply can't see it. Baalke is at this point I'm SURE looking for a 1-year fix for the problem. I can see us going after a vet and will definitely change how we draft.

Man, I hope for our sake, you are wrong on this one...I see only a slap on the hand by the legal system at worst esp. given this is his first offense and there was no injuries or physical assault (cough, Ray Rice, cough); nothing more than fight-or-flight responses to a panicky situation. We should make a friendly bet...I not only have him with no jail time but working hard and playing a significant amount for us this year (either as the #2 or as a nickle back, his former role).

Either way, Baalke's M.O. would be to acquire an under-the-radar DB prior to or shortly after the draft anyhow and we all know this doesn't affect the draft board at all.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Man, I hope for our sake, you are wrong on this one...I see only a slap on the hand by the legal system at worst esp. given this is his first offense and there was no injuries or physical assault (cough, Ray Rice, cough); nothing more than fight-or-flight responses to a panicky situation. We should make a friendly bet...I not only have him with no jail time but working hard and playing a significant amount for us this year (either as the #2 or as a nickle back, his former role).

Either way, Baalke's M.O. would be to acquire an under-the-radar DB prior to or shortly after the draft anyhow and we all know this doesn't affect the draft board at all.

Hopefully, his actions resulted from panic--from an impulse to flee.

I could actually understand that, but....

I am still .
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
cut him, send him to seattle.
It's kinda of hard to cut a guy after you let another guy play a few days after his 2nd or 3rd off the field incident. I would cut him personally but I don't see it happening
[ Edited by lamontb on Mar 31, 2014 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:

Hopefully, his actions resulted from panic--from an impulse to flee.

I could actually understand that, but....

I am still .

Oh don't get me wrong...I am NOT pleased by his choices/actions and the snowball-effect. I'll leave it at that.
It seems professional sports works like this. If you are a below average player and you do something like this, you will be cut and likely out of the league soon. If you are an above average player the team will jump through hoops (pay for counselling, have a coach shadow every move etc) to keep you. In Culliver case, i dont see him as that good a player so i would bet he gets cut or heavily punished (ie long suspension).

This guy is a loser in my books.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Aldon, Ahmad, and Cully should all be off the team by this point.

Go ahead and cut everyone whos done something stupid. Smart move.

I bet theres a bunch of people on this board who have gotten in trouble for something, and wouldve found it terribly unfair if they lost their job. But when its someone else, no mercy, right?
That isn't the point, being a professional football player you are a public figure who represents the team, and the NFL. If the team or NFL appears tolerant toward bad behavior it soils the image, and a soiled image can cost sales of merchandise among other things. You cost your employer money and you can get fired. If the manager of the local Safeway grocery store runs over a bicyclist and doesn't kill him it probably won't make the local news let alone be splattered all over the internet. There is no potential for harm against the Safeway brand for not firing the guy because he is pretty much anonymous, a whole 12 people know what happened. On the other hand 100 million people know what Culliver did.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
lol our starting secondary got more arrests than career INTs.
You guys think the fact that Percy harvin and Tavon Austin being in our division is something keeping Culliver a niner? If I remember he was our best slot guy, not to mention his play against jordy Nelson.
[ Edited by ninerhippy on Mar 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM ]

Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Aldon, Ahmad, and Cully should all be off the team by this point.

Go ahead and cut everyone whos done something stupid. Smart move.

I bet theres a bunch of people on this board who have gotten in trouble for something, and wouldve found it terribly unfair if they lost their job. But when its someone else, no mercy, right?
That isn't the point, being a professional football player you are a public figure who represents the team, and the NFL. If the team or NFL appears tolerant toward bad behavior it soils the image, and a soiled image can cost sales of merchandise among other things. You cost your employer money and you can get fired. If the manager of the local Safeway grocery store runs over a bicyclist and doesn't kill him it probably won't make the local news let alone be splattered all over the internet. There is no potential for harm against the Safeway brand for not firing the guy because he is pretty much anonymous, a whole 12 people know what happened. On the other hand 100 million people know what Culliver did.

The point is, NFL players have done FAR worse things and kept their jobs. The 49ers can make a point and release him, but ultimately the team will lose, not Culliver. Someone else will just get a young, cheap CB with a ton of potential, and we'll be stuck with one of the weakest groups of CB's in the NFL.

Its part of the business to deal with some players doing stupid things. If the NFL can let guys like Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth get jobs after killing people while driving drunk, they would be a bit hypocritical to make an example out of Culliver.
When is the last time the 49ers released a guy after a first (legal) offense? The 49ers kept Demarcus Dobbs (Marijuana possession in season) and Al Netter (DUI-offseason), around after their incidents too. I'm leaving Kilgore out of the discussion because his offense was ridiculously minor.
I think the guy has potential, he showed that in the 2012 season. (Even though he sucked in the Super Bowl!) I am sick of hearing this crap about how he's become a better person on and off the field. I'm hear to tell you, this article right here sums it up.

http://www.mercurynews.com/scott-herhold/ci_25458614/lessons-from-chris-culliver-escapade

He did exactly what he had to do to preserve his career. I would be surprised if the 49ers cut him because they are so high on him (I think he was a Baalke pick!) Although, I would say he's probably got one strike left. I mean, how many chances can you give a guy? I would argue that he hasn't changed a thing... I mean he threatened to beat this witness with brass knuckles!! First of all, how could you just leave after striking (and potentially) killing a bicycler? I'm sorry - but to think he would leave that person for dead tells me his character IS VERY questionable. A normal person with a good head on their shoulders doesn't do that. BAD BAD decision making.
Originally posted by amosmac28:
I think the guy has potential, he showed that in the 2012 season. (Even though he sucked in the Super Bowl!) I am sick of hearing this crap about how he's become a better person on and off the field. I'm hear to tell you, this article right here sums it up.

http://www.mercurynews.com/scott-herhold/ci_25458614/lessons-from-chris-culliver-escapade

He did exactly what he had to do to preserve his career. I would be surprised if the 49ers cut him because they are so high on him (I think he was a Baalke pick!) Although, I would say he's probably got one strike left. I mean, how many chances can you give a guy? I would argue that he hasn't changed a thing... I mean he threatened to beat this witness with brass knuckles!! First of all, how could you just leave after striking (and potentially) killing a bicycler? I'm sorry - but to think he would leave that person for dead tells me his character IS VERY questionable. A normal person with a good head on their shoulders doesn't do that. BAD BAD decision making.

maybe he was coked up
lol you cant be serious. Culliver is cold and heartless because he ran away from an accident? He ran because he was afraid of getting in trouble, not because he has no soul and cold, dead eyes. The person on the bike suffered no serious injuries, so the accident probably wasnt that bad. His instinct was to run, out of fear. Same reason why he flashes the brass knuckles to the person who was trying to get him in trouble.

And btw, if you have experience following the NFL, youll know that drafting rookie CB's, of ANY caliber, will do very little to solve your current problem. CB's need to develop. Even the best get picked on as rookies. You dont figure it out overnight in the NFL. Being down to Brock, a couple rookies, and a bunch of scrubs, is a TERRIBLE idea.

Except Marcus " steal of the 7th" Cooper
Share 49ersWebzone