LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

Do we cut Culliver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we cut Culliver?

Yes, time to go.
If this has been brought up already I apologize . . . but for the "get rid of him" side;

What if this was Crabtree or Iupati? Same reaction . . . or are you apt to be more tolerant?
We are the niners we can do whatever we want..
Originally posted by jreff22:
Until we have a replacement we really can't. Had Brown been resigned I think it's a yes for sure. He could be the only guy keeping Cook on the bench at this point.

The replacements are 39 days aways and they are our draft picks. My hope is we use 2 each on CB and WR.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
If this has been brought up already I apologize . . . but for the "get rid of him" side;

What if this was Crabtree or Iupati? Same reaction . . . or are you apt to be more tolerant?

Crabtree and Iupati haven't done anything totally stupid once, much less twice. With 12 draft picks, we can replace Cully in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Until we have a replacement we really can't. Had Brown been resigned I think it's a yes for sure. He could be the only guy keeping Cook on the bench at this point.

The replacements are 39 days aways and they are our draft picks. My hope is we use 2 each on CB and WR.

Yup. I wanted to do that before this crap happened.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Crabtree and Iupati haven't done anything totally stupid once, much less twice. With 12 draft picks, we can replace Cully in a heartbeat.

The Super Bowl remarks were stupid, not criminal . . . at least not yet.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Bye bye Culliver.
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
I think you could argue what he did was just as stupid/bad as those crimes. Hit a guy on a bicycle, then threatened the guy instead of checking how he was. He took a bad situation and made it worse.

Uhhhh, what? He didn't threaten the guy that was hit. He (allegedly) threatened some guy that was chasing him down afterwards.
Originally posted by larjon53:
I do not condone what Culliver did, but you can tell that he needs to grow up.what are the laws in Carolina regarding brass knuckles where he was from . he is only 25, was scared, did not know what to do. very immature. give him a break.

My first reaction was to let him go. A day later I had to consider what might have been going through his head. He was obviously scared about getting in trouble and didn't use common sense. He probably didn't want to have to face the law let alone Baalke and Harbaugh. Not sure about the guy who cornered him. He may have felt the guy might assault him.

Bottom line when fear and adrenaline run and the person is immature, which his anti-gay statements last year testify too, things like this happen. Sure it's stupid, immature, etc. The question is, where does he go from here. Does he get it, and go through a transformation as a result. It appears he did so with the Gay comments. If he does, the only right thing to do is to keep him. To dump him to save face for the organization is equally immature and not showing empathy and forgiveness for mistakes. That would also only further damage Cully. It would also give a bad message to the other players and would cost the team a potentially very good player. If he is recalicitrant, unapologetic or insincere, you move on from him.

He will get suspended but we won't cut him. Too much talent
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

just see how it plays out. i do know that JH can not run his mouth anymore about how other teams skirt the law or whatever the hell he said in regards to the seahawks.
Best case scenario is that nothing more egregious comes out of this and it takes a year or so for it to wind through the legal system. Meanwhile that draft of his contract extension just went through the shredder . . . then we move on in 2015.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

just see how it plays out. i do know that JH can not run his mouth anymore about how other teams skirt the law or whatever the hell he said in regards to the seahawks.

If I remember correctly, his comments where directed at the use of PED's by players, which may give one athlete an unfair advantage over another. Cully beinga s**ty person gives our team no inherent advantages, quite the opposite really. So unless a bunch of our players start pissing postitive for roids or we get caught filming other teams practices, I think Jims safe in his remarks.
[ Edited by KegBert on Mar 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM ]
Best case scenario is that nothing more egregious comes out of this and it takes a year or so for it to wind through the legal system. Meanwhile that draft of his contract extension just went through the shredder . . . then we move on in 2015.

Pretty much.
Share 49ersWebzone