LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Do we cut Culliver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we cut Culliver?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No way. We need him. Our secondary is a mess. We keep him until we can come up with a better alternative. Ne need to draft CB early and often. But we still need Culliver. Hopefully he can win his court cases.

Yeah, I agree. As much as I want to cut him, we do need him.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Harbaugh will definitely make sure Scully goes through some rigorous training with the Walrus....
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Niners99:
I get it. When pro bowler Aldon Smith screws up, look the other way. When a young CB screws up, "we wont tolerate this behavior".

Aldon was FAR worse than this. He was an alcoholic getting multiple DUI's, firing a gun off near a crowd of people, and getting himself stabbed.

Culliver bumped into a biker, flashes a guy some brass knuckles, then runs away, and hes the scum of the earth? Really?

Culliver is an idiot, but we dont have the CB depth to be "letting people know that Santa Clara doesnt tolerate this behavior".

I don't think anyone was looking the other way with Aldon. IIRC there was plenty of outrage here over the incident, same with this one involving Cully.

Nobody was saying we should cut Aldon though. Thats my point. I just dont get the hypocritical outrage. Aldon Smith screwed up worse, but everyone felt bad for him and wished him well as he went off to rehab. Culliver's incident was an accident in which he chose to make worse by running away scared.

Im not defending Culliver's actions, or calling for Aldon to be demonized as well, but there is clear bias based on the name on the jersey.

Calling for Culliver's release as if he beat someone senseless with a baseball bat is ridiculous. He screwed up, and he will be punished with fines, community service, and probation. He shouldnt lose his job over it.
My knee jerk reaction was hoping that the 49ers would cut him, I would like to get his side of the story at least and see how things shake out, but leaving the scene of an accident is stupid as hell, busting out brass knuckles which are illegal in California, is pretty much just about as dumb. He clearly showed some terrible judgment, at best he's going to be on very slippery ice if he somehow remains on the roster.
Not yet.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
I think we wait until after the draft and we have more facts to work with in his case. Then you could be looking at a suspension by the league or even the team coming up. I don't know if we cut him but it will definately effect whether we want to extend or resign him. It will definetly cost the moron Millions of dollars.

Where can I get a job and make millions to be a screw up?

I hear that, at least evaluate for what really happened.
Simple rule - once your integrity as an organization takes a hit, you dont get it back. Ours takes a huge hit if we dont deal with Culliver in a strong manner particularly given Harbaugh"s previous comments related to the Seahawks and 49ers being "beyond reproach".
What time xid the incident take place?
Originally posted by 4ML:
No. Though it was really disappointing how Culliver behaved...I'd keep him. Now, had he beaten up a girl or shot someone or sexually assaulted someone - then it's another story.
However, still moron of the year, imho.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Some of you obviously don't give a hoot about your fellow man. The guy pulls a hit and run on a person on a bicycle. Then he whips out some brass knuckles. The guy is a scumbag, any way you slice it. Hit and run is against the law, and it takes a pretty pathetic person to run away and not render aid to someone no matter whose fault it is. Brass knuckles are another issue, not only it is a felony to possess them, why would anyone want them? They aren't a typical self defense weapon you would use to scare someone away, they are something used to gain an edge in a fight that would not be easy to detect in the initial part of a confrontation. I think most brass knuckle owners would be intent on using them. I wonder what some of you have done to blow off this incident as no big deal.

Originally posted by loxdoggie:
Simple rule - once your integrity as an organization takes a hit, you dont get it back. Ours takes a huge hit if we dont deal with Culliver in a strong manner particularly given Harbaugh"s previous comments related to the Seahawks and 49ers being "beyond reproach".

For Culliver there will be consequences. He will probably be looking at a team or league suspension and it will greatly effect whether or not the 49ers try and extend his contract or resign him. If he didn't screw up he was probably looking at a very healthy extension like Brock got. Not anymore.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Not yet.

agree. but wow hit and run and brass knuckles. the off season is still young and i bet the team is working on plan b right now to prepare to possibly release him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Some of you obviously don't give a hoot about your fellow man. The guy pulls a hit and run on a person on a bicycle. Then he whips out some brass knuckles. The guy is a scumbag, any way you slice it. Hit and run is against the law, and it takes a pretty pathetic person to run away and not render aid to someone no matter whose fault it is. Brass knuckles are another issue, not only it is a felony to possess them, why would anyone want them? They aren't a typical self defense weapon you would use to scare someone away, they are something used to gain an edge in a fight that would not be easy to detect in the initial part of a confrontation. I think most brass knuckle owners would be intent on using them. I wonder what some of you have done to blow off this incident as no big deal.
bob makes a very very good point and i can totally see his point of view and why the team would cut him. the brass knuckles thing is huge. you know its a felony and why would you have them? i know only one or two said it but i really get angry when they say,, well at least the victim was not hurt to bad. jesus
Aldon, Ahmad, and Cully should all be off the team by this point.
The FO will wait and see what the league decides as to Cullly,s penalty are to be.....that could be a few months, however one,s gotta think the FO will make plans to move on with out him just in case
[ Edited by highway49 on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone