LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Do we cut Culliver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we cut Culliver?

Yesterday I kind of felt we should at least wait until the full story comes out before we pass judgment and I still believe everyone deserves a second chance, but let's be real and honest here. Culliver may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, I say we cut our losses and get someone in here with a brain.
Now he's a screw up on and off the field.
I mean he is innocent until proven guilty. And we don't have the depth at cb to make a moral stand.. But sheez were really developing a squad of bad boys with Brooks,Aldon and Cully.
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Mar 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM ]
He's arguably our best CB, we gave our best pass rusher multiple chances after what seemed like a month of fing up, so no. Imho, I feel like this could end up a blessing in disguise and at mid or seasons end we can sign him to a cap friendly deal granted he does well on and off the field.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Extend him in couple months now that the price is lower.
no.. low pay/high reward.. the guy is a good player.. just makes dumb choices.. draft is deep with receivers and corners...
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Originally posted by 4ML:
No. Though it was really disappointing how Culliver behaved...I'd keep him. Now, had he beaten up a girl or shot someone or sexually assaulted someone - then it's another story.

I think you could argue what he did was just as stupid/bad as those crimes. Hit a guy on a bicycle, then threatened the guy instead of checking how he was. He took a bad situation and made it worse.

Uhh no. Shooting someone or beating/raping a woman is far worse. What are you talking about?!?
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
No. Though it was really disappointing how Culliver behaved...I'd keep him. Now, had he beaten up a girl or shot someone or sexually assaulted someone - then it's another story.

I think you could argue what he did was just as stupid/bad as those crimes. Hit a guy on a bicycle, then threatened the guy instead of checking how he was. He took a bad situation and made it worse.

Uhh no. Shooting someone or beating/raping a woman is far worse. What are you talking about?!?

Yea but if you consider the possibilities here. The guy he hit could have been severely injured and he left him. Could have left him to die if he was hurt worse. turns out he wasn't and maybe that was apparent when Cully ran but maybe not and thats what is pretty serious here.
Originally posted by 1swift:
Yea but if you consider the possibilities here. The guy he hit could have been severely injured and he left him. Could have left him to die if he was hurt worse. turns out he wasn't and maybe that was apparent when Cully ran but maybe not and thats what is pretty serious here.

That's a good point. Maybe it was apparent the collision wasn't serious, but Culliver did not attempt to check up on the person, so how could he know for sure? What if that person was seriously injured? If it was in a rural area with nobody around to help, that person could have been left there to die.
Nobody knows what really happened yet so just leave it at that.. Let the legal part take action first before deciding to cut him.

Originally posted by matthewabbit:
There's a good chance he could play out the year before he gets imprisoned or suspended. The question is do we send a message to the league our team and the city of Santa Clara that this type of behavior won't be tolerated on the niners.

I get it. When pro bowler Aldon Smith screws up, look the other way. When a young CB screws up, "we wont tolerate this behavior".

Aldon was FAR worse than this. He was an alcoholic getting multiple DUI's, firing a gun off near a crowd of people, and getting himself stabbed.

Culliver bumped into a biker, flashes a guy some brass knuckles, then runs away, and hes the scum of the earth? Really?

Culliver is an idiot, but we dont have the CB depth to be "letting people know that Santa Clara doesnt tolerate this behavior".
What a shame,His face is just too sweet to be a bad boy
Originally posted by Niners99:
I get it. When pro bowler Aldon Smith screws up, look the other way. When a young CB screws up, "we wont tolerate this behavior".

Aldon was FAR worse than this. He was an alcoholic getting multiple DUI's, firing a gun off near a crowd of people, and getting himself stabbed.

Culliver bumped into a biker, flashes a guy some brass knuckles, then runs away, and hes the scum of the earth? Really?

Culliver is an idiot, but we dont have the CB depth to be "letting people know that Santa Clara doesnt tolerate this behavior".

I don't think anyone was looking the other way with Aldon. IIRC there was plenty of outrage here over the incident, same with this one involving Cully.

One thing I've learned from life is that the more valuable you are, the longer leash you get. So while it may seem wrong to give Aldon more leeway, that's how the world works. You're constantly balancing risk vs reward. He's an elite player. People are willing to take more risk if the potential reward is great. Can't blame people for that.

In regards to Cully, I agree with you. I don't think the 49ers should feel pressured to release him just to "prove to people" we don't tolerate that behavior. It goes without saying we don't approve what he did. The 49ers should show some patience and think this through carefully, just like the Aldon situation. They need to sit down with Cully and determine if he can be a productive member and representative of the team. If he can, then give him the support he needs and keep him. If not, cut him loose.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 30, 2014 at 12:17 AM ]
No way. We need him. Our secondary is a mess. We keep him until we can come up with a better alternative. Ne need to draft CB early and often. But we still need Culliver. Hopefully he can win his court cases.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Scully
Share 49ersWebzone