LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Eric Wright to start?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Whether you guys like it or not, Brock and Culliver are still going to be our starting CB's next year. Unless they dig up some crap thats sending Culliver to jail, He will get off with a hefty fine, probation, and community service.

Hes an idiot, but hes not getting released.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Whether you guys like it or not, Brock and Culliver are still going to be our starting CB's next year. Unless they dig up some crap thats sending Culliver to jail, He will get off with a hefty fine, probation, and community service.

Hes an idiot, but hes not getting released.

Thanks for the update Trent Baalke.
I hope not
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I'd gladly have this man start:

It's amazing how after so many years he's still in the game!

You guys are making me s**t all over my balls!!!

This is two strikes for Culliver...his stupid homosexual remarks were bad enough. Now he's committed a hit & run and had brass knuckles. This is a felony...a serious crime and the team won't just roll over on it, nor will the NFL. I'd suspect there'll be some counseling/therapy along with some jail time if he's convicted. I don't see any way he wouldn't be convicted...an eyewitness saw the incident, then tried to corner him so he couldn't escape. Culliver threatened assault, which only made things worse. It's pretty obvious he's got some issues. Comparing him to Aldon is difficult...different circumstances, different events. Aldon didn't run anyone over, then flee. He turned himself in for treatment.

I'm happy Wright re-signed. He's the senior CB now and knows how to play...and with a full off=season should be ready to rock.
Carlos Rodgers and Terrell Brown probably think this is hilarious. This is what happens when you try to cut the roster too thin. Now they will reach on a CB instead of a few other positions they may have been able to draft if the right guy feel to them.
Originally posted by Brando85:
Given that Culliver will inevitably get let go, it's clear most of the zone assume we must go corner in the first round. I certainly don't disagree, but I'm curious on your thoughts regarding Eric Wright stepping in to start?

I think an entire off-season of reps in our scheme ought to be a great primer for him to regain his form. While I doubt he is the long-term fix, I think he has shown an ability to be an above average corner in this league.
That's a big assumption right there. Culliver's issues will probably take a year or two to resolve legally anyhow.

As to the topic, I have no issues with Wright starting. It just means we have one less nickle guy. Cox still plays the same spot and it means Cook and Morris battle it out as well. We were going to draft another two CB's anyhow, someone mentioned Dax Swanson has some underrated skills as well and following Baalke's M.O., he would be bringing in another older, under-the-radar CB anyhow about a month before the draft (or after). And watch out for the 6 & 7th rounders and UDFA's. Can Wright play as well as Culliver? Who knows...maybe this will end up being a blessing in disguise and buy Culliver extra time to heal and work his way (and life) back into football focus. SInce there was no serious bodily injury or physical assault and this is his first time offense (he panicked), it's possible nothing much comes from it but it will certainly help us in contract negotiations (LOL).
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Carlos Rodgers and Terrell Brown probably think this is hilarious. This is what happens when you try to cut the roster too thin. Now they will reach on a CB instead of a few other positions they may have been able to draft if the right guy feel to them.

Aaron Rodgers had to be cut...his play was "meh" and he was due to make 7M+. And he hasn't signed anywhere has he? Also, Brown was offered a very fair LT deal and HE choose to go to the Raiders on a one-year contract (fail) at 29 years old hoping for a LT deal with them next year at 30 years old (good luck with that!).
This is VERY serious stuff w/Culliver.

Brass Knuckles is a criminal's weapon. Hit and run is a felony. This guy is a loser and a future Hall of Fame Thug. They'll have to frisk him every time he steps on the field.

IFFFF we keep him, he's looking at a BIG time suspension. So, basically, he won't be on the field anyway.

If CB in the draft wasn't the #1 Priority - it is now.

Who's left in FA worth looking at?
I'm sure he would get a fair shot to compete for the job like every one else during training camp it's up to him what he does with his opportunities.

I am rooting for Eric Wright because he is a hometown kid like myself. Any kid from San Francisco who loves the niners probably dreamt of playing for them someday. He is living out that dream.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Brando85:
Given that Culliver will inevitably get let go, it's clear most of the zone assume we must go corner in the first round. I certainly don't disagree, but I'm curious on your thoughts regarding Eric Wright stepping in to start?

I think an entire off-season of reps in our scheme ought to be a great primer for him to regain his form. While I doubt he is the long-term fix, I think he has shown an ability to be an above average corner in this league.
That's a big assumption right there. Culliver's issues will probably take a year or two to resolve legally anyhow.

As to the topic, I have no issues with Wright starting. It just means we have one less nickle guy. Cox still plays the same spot and it means Cook and Morris battle it out as well. We were going to draft another two CB's anyhow, someone mentioned Dax Swanson has some underrated skills as well and following Baalke's M.O., he would be bringing in another older, under-the-radar CB anyhow about a month before the draft (or after). And watch out for the 6 & 7th rounders and UDFA's. Can Wright play as well as Culliver? Who knows...maybe this will end up being a blessing in disguise and buy Culliver extra time to heal and work his way (and life) back into football focus. SInce there was no serious bodily injury or physical assault and this is his first time offense (he panicked), it's possible nothing much comes from it but it will certainly help us in contract negotiations (LOL).

Big assumption? This isn't Aldon Smith. Regardless of the length of legal ramifications, I can not imagaine a scenario where this franchise supports and keeps Chris Culliver. Not sure what he has proven on the field to warrant the team holding on to him, and I say this as a fan who was looking forward to him starting in 2014.
As to the question of can Wright play as well as Culliver...that's an interesting notion as given both of their careers in a vacuum, I'd imagine Wright has the upper hand, albeit he has been the league longer.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Eric Wright has a ton of starting experience. It's definitely possible he could start.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This is VERY serious stuff w/Culliver.

Brass Knuckles is a criminal's weapon. Hit and run is a felony. This guy is a loser and a future Hall of Fame Thug. They'll have to frisk him every time he steps on the field.

IFFFF we keep him, he's looking at a BIG time suspension. So, basically, he won't be on the field anyway.

If CB in the draft wasn't the #1 Priority - it is now.

Who's left in FA worth looking at?

Slim pickings as of now. Just a bunch of older guys who used to be good, or are no better than what we already have.

Terrell Thomas
Carlos Rogers
Dimitri Patterson
Champ Bailey
Asante Samuel
Jabari Greer
Drayton Florence
Rashean Mathis
Josh Wilson
Brice McCain
Quentin Jammer
Corey Webster