LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

The 49ers scouting department is failing.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
2 points

- Some guys are worth it (Smith) and some guys aren't (Culliver)

- We are talking DUI's. California is the Planet Earth capital for DUIs. A decade ago+ players were drinking in the locker room. I doubt they were catching cabs home. I'm more worried about his weapon charges.
Originally posted by Existence:
Both guys have been incredibly productive on the field. Both are young. Dammit why do we make so much of this sh*t ?

First he is a "pro player" and should act like one on and off the field.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Wouldn't you rather have guys stay out of trouble though and think of the team?

Im sure every team and fanbaae would like that, to bad its unrealistic.

Some more high character guys would be good for this team though.
I agree. The University of Missouri and South Carolina are failing as well. Smh.

I'm just so surprised. The OP is such a positive person.
I always masturbate while reading SDfan's posts, cause then I'll know I'll be less depressed when leaving.
Culliver was drafted in 2011. In case people don't realise it is now 2014. To blame this on a failure of the scouting department is facile and borderline trolling.
Aldon is young. The allegations in the Culliver situation sound almost insane, so I need to hear more context exactly about the particulars. Could go a lot of different ways. I'm not going to speculate publicly I'll wait to hear how the defense attorney portrays the events. Bad part of town, bike riders, car chase, brass knuckles ...could go a lot of different ways.
Aldon Smith

~ 3 Felonies
~ 2 DUIS
~ Multiple driving off the road incidents where he claims "somebody else was driving." Lindsay Lohan always claims the same thing. Always her friend driving after they switch after accidents.

Chris Culliver

~ 2 Felonies

Do they vet these guys or research the background? It would make sense to know the character of the player before you pick them and commit to them. You have money wrapped up in them and you rely on them to help your team. With Aldon we could have had JJ Watt btw who is a 10% better player overall and 0% of the trouble that Aldon brings. Clean as a whistle.

You can't build a Championship team if your guys keep getting in trouble. You need high character guys. Would Jerry Rice every be involved in this type of nonsense? He was too busy working out and running the hill and trying to improve in the offseason.

Overreact much? Speaking of failing, it was YOU who failed on this thread!
Aldon Smith

~ 3 Felonies
~ 2 DUIS
~ Multiple driving off the road incidents where he claims "somebody else was driving." Lindsay Lohan always claims the same thing. Always her friend driving after they switch after accidents.

Chris Culliver

~ 2 Felonies

Do they vet these guys or research the background? It would make sense to know the character of the player before you pick them and commit to them. You have money wrapped up in them and you rely on them to help your team. With Aldon we could have had JJ Watt btw who is a 10% better player overall and 0% of the trouble that Aldon brings. Clean as a whistle.

You can't build a Championship team if your guys keep getting in trouble. You need high character guys. Would Jerry Rice every be involved in this type of nonsense? He was too busy working out and running the hill and trying to improve in the offseason.

lol so 2 of 53 guys get into some trouble with the law, and now our front office is failing?

Every NFL team has a couple idiots. When you take young men, most of whom came from nothing, and hand them millions with a side of fame, youre bound to get a couple knuckleheads on each team at very least.

SD, youve become the biggest troll on the board. You contribute nothing. Go away.
Don't blame the scouting Dept for what these players have done. The scouting Dept actually did their job because Aldon and Cully have great TALENT in which the dept is paid to do, they are not paid to babysit. Who would you blame out in Indy? because their owner is facing FOUR felony charges.

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
In all honesty the only thing that pisses me off about Aldon and Cully character issues is that neither were value picks in the draft (if anything they were reaches at the time). If we're going to take questionable character guys I'm all for it, but get value out of the pick. Getting players like Desean JAckosn in the 2nd, Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd, or Vontaze Burfict/Darrick Rodgers/Lagarrete Blount in the 7th. Heck if we grabbed Colt Lyerla anytime after the 4th round I'd be ecstatic. The problem I have is when you take a player higher than they're projected AND they have s**tty character. That is not doing your research and not getting value. Culliver had no business going where he did. He struggled as a corner, was sent home from practices, and had red character flags going into the draft.

Let me get this straight. You are complaining that Smith and Culliver were not value picks and were taken higher than they should.

Have you watched them play in the NFL at all?
Lol cites two players out of a 53 man roster, not including all the other people drafted, free agency, turn over, etc. And says they are failing. Lulz.
Share 49ersWebzone