There are 259 users in the forums

Trent, JH or Who Picked Who

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good slide show that sets it straight.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/03/27/who-gets-credit-for-the-49ers-starters-success-heres-our-take/#21959-20
Baalke brought so much talent , crazy how most didn't want him.
idk, this little bit of info may be best served in that ol power struggle thread
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
good stuff.
Looks like Scott Mcloughan is mostly responsible for all the talent. No wonder the Seahawks are so good.
McCloughan was a decent GM. He drafted fairly well but for many years the staff let us down. It was really frustrating watching the Nolan and Singletary era because I knew we had talent and a ton of potential but we underachieved so much. There were games that showed we could play with anybody but we could never close out games and we always seemed to lose close ones. I don't think he's nearly as good as Baalke who I think is one of the best in the league but I'd call McCloughan middle of the pack, maybe a few spots higher.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 28, 2014 at 4:23 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
I think that you are mistaken. This slide show is not about Trent, JH or Who Picked Who

The title of the slide show is: Who gets credit for the 49ers starters success? Here is our take.

The authors state:

Behind every 49ers player, there is a cadre of coaches, front office managers and fellow teammates who have helped develop that player. Today, we are taking a look at who is responsible for each of the starters success in the NFL so far.

There is difference between acquisition of a player and development. This article is clearly about player development.
Baalke should get credit for the acquisition of the players that he drafted, but I do not think he should get credit for their development. That credit should go to the players and the coaches.

The slide slow simply cannot be taken seriously, unless you are willing to believe that Al Davis should get credit for success that Crabtree has enjoyed in the NFL.

It is a poorly conceived piece of fluff that sets nothing straight.

[ Edited by buck on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:24 AM ]
Agree Buck, except for the few players who were directly attributed to Baalke or Harbaugh--Kaepernick and Boldin by Harbaugh, A Smith by Baalke. But I also agree that Baalke gets credit for putting the team in a position to get this talent and after that it's a team effort to make them pan out. The example of Boone is really nice...had to recommit himself to working out and staying off the sauce. Great story.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree Buck, except for the few players who were directly attributed to Baalke or Harbaugh--Kaepernick and Boldin by Harbaugh, A Smith by Baalke. But I also agree that Baalke gets credit for putting the team in a position to get this talent and after that it's a team effort to make them pan out. The example of Boone is really nice...had to recommit himself to working out and staying off the sauce. Great story.

If authors give credit to Al Davis for the success of Crabtree, they should give some credit to John Harbaugh for the success of Boldin.

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

If authors give credit to Al Davis for the success of Crabtree, they should give some credit to John Harbaugh for the success of Boldin.

Yes, it was a sillly article and irritating that it implied we would know something after reading it! I knew all the facts in this article before having wasted my time reading it, but evidently I have time to waste!! The story would have been worthwhile if it actually quoted people inside the warroom as to who fought for which picks! But even the Kaepernick pick is largely conjecture. I read one story that Harbaugh was disappointed not to get Andy Dalton and to appease him Baalke took CK. Just conjecture until they write their books someday...and I doubt we will be able to believe half of their "memories" by then!

I like the idea but I agree, it all starts with Baalke. Like Boldin? Like CK? True, those players were connected to Harbaugh BUT Baalke had to wheel-and-deal to bring them in and make it happen FOR his coaches and that's a sign of a great GM. I still have a feeling 2012 was a draft more for his coaches than him (i.e. the team), per se. He's clearly learned from that year and gone back to focusing on the LT success of this team and trusting his own instincts. There is a balance between doing what's best for the team while also granting wishes of ALL the position coaches.

PS: For all we know, the Raven's wanted a 4th rounder for Boldin. The point is, it is very clear Baalke entertains just about every FA possibility with an added focus on "value" and LT success and he places much emphasis on the coaches he just extended to help develop these players. This is why he has such high expectations for players in year 2. In short, Baalke gets it and with the coaches assembled, they make one hell of a team. A couple tweaks here and there to the offensive and defensive scheme/philosophy and we'll bring home #6. What isn't disputable is that we, clearly, are the deepest team in the NFL, year-in, year-out while also being fiscally responsible and not losing ANY critical pieces. That's a sign of a tremendous FO, top-to-bottom.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM ]
This whole Harbaugh vs Baalke idiocy is largely responsible for so many spin-off articles that collectively prove/make no valid points. There are a number of previous coaches, GM's etc. who have a piece of the current success. Although not successful as a head coach, Mike Nolan deserves appropriate credit for building up the roster. So does Singletary. As we've seen, it took Baalke and Harbaugh to transform the talent into a perennial playoff team. At the end of the day, we as fans could care less who gets the "credit". It was a cumulative effort and that's really all that needs to be said. Thanks to all who had a part in it.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
This whole Harbaugh vs Baalke idiocy is largely responsible for so many spin-off articles that collectively prove/make no valid points. There are a number of previous coaches, GM's etc. who have a piece of the current success. Although not successful as a head coach, Mike Nolan deserves appropriate credit for building up the roster. So does Singletary. As we've seen, it took Baalke and Harbaugh to transform the talent into a perennial playoff team. At the end of the day, we as fans could care less who gets the "credit". It was a cumulative effort and that's really all that needs to be said. Thanks to all who had a part in it.

Preach on, brother!
Baakle should go back to North Dakota
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Baalke brought so much talent , crazy how most didn't want him.

Especially when it seemed like it was Baalke or Lombardi. I was indifferent about the team keeping Baalke, but holy suck I didn't want Lombardi. This team would be running on fumes if he was hired.
Share 49ersWebzone