There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All Time 49ers Team

Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Might be wrong on this one but where is Dana Stubblefied?

Had some great years, thanks to Bryant Young being double teamed, but don't think he could supplant Young or Justin.

I'd actually put Kevin f*gen in there before Stubblefield. f*gen, in his prime, was the strongest player in the NFL and it was almost impossible to run on him.
WTF? They have to starr out Kevin f*gen's name? Wow.
What about Mr. Silver medalist Michael Carter
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
What about Mr. Silver medalist Michael Carter

That's a good call
Wut no BJ??
Putting Roger at FB is kinda weak cop out.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Having grown up in the 60's as an ardent Niner's fan, here are my comments:

Montana- correct

Joe Perry- maybe, but Rathman is my guy here.

Roger Craig- definitely not. The benefactor of Walsh's new system put him on the map but, cannot hold the jockstrap of Frank Gore, the absolute best all around back in Niner history

Rice- correct

Owens- maybe, for 4 years, nobody scared defenses more after the catch then John Taylor. Not even Jerry Rice. I am sure he led the NFL in YAC between the years of 89-93. He had great hands
and was a ferocious blocker. He did not have the longevity that Owens had so I can see the argument. But I would take Taylor at his best.

Vernon Davis- correct

Bob St Clair- overrated. Saw him play often. A SF legend having played highschool, college and pro football at Kezar Stadium. He was kind of a side show. 6' 9", ate raw steak in front of reporters.
Kind of gangly and slow. Love having him in our history but for my money, give me Harris Barton here.

Joe Staley- correct

Guy McKintyre-okay

Randy Cross- okay

Forrest Blue- yeah, maybe Jesse Supolu

4 Man D-Line- Hardman DE, Justin Smith DT, Bryant Young DT and Tommy Hart DE. No disrespect to Nomellini, he was a legend and got to meet him as a kid. Totally in awe, but no pure 49er DE
was as good as Hart all around. He and Hardman were the best rushing DE tandem in 49 history. Sacked the Ram's QB 10 times on a MNF game.

Dave Wilcox- they got that right. Smartest LB in our history. Could do it all. A real stud.

Haley- correct, even though the guy is a sicko.

Willis-correct, Bowman too with a 4 LB defense. Maybe over Willis with a 3 man set.

Jimmy Johnson- nobody comes close as a cover corner in our history other than one year Deion.

Eric Wright- correct

Lott- of course

MacDonald- okay, maybe Dwight Hicks at FS and Lott at SS might have been a better tandem. Hicks could pick and was very smart.

Wershing- yes, wish his leg had been stronger. Was money from 40 on in.

Andy Lee- correct

Abe Woodson- my Niner crush as a kid. Glad to see him here he was phenomenal.

Weird. This is almost exactly my thinking. Except Jones>Vern. I saw the Monday night game. That was fun.

Are you me?
GREAT post 60's fan!
Originally posted by joshuatree:

Why? He started for us as fullback. Perfectly valid selection although Tom Rathman might have something to say.

And as a general comment: no Jeff Fuller?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by joshuatree:

Why? He started for us as fullback. Perfectly valid selection although Tom Rathman might have something to say.

Wendell Tyler at HB and Craig at FB was a pretty potent running attack in that '84 Super Bowl year. I think they were #3 or #4 in rushing that year. They were definitely #2 in total offense second only to the Dolphins which was an offensive juggernaut that year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Wendell Tyler at HB and Craig at FB was a pretty potent running attack in that '84 Super Bowl year. I think they were #3 or #4 in rushing that year. They were definitely #2 in total offense second only to the Dolphins which was an offensive juggernaut that year.

we have a nice tradition of a traditional halfback fullback.. vic washington/ken willard.... delvin williams/wilbur jackson. tyler/craig. whoever/rathman. miami was actually a one trick pony whom we exposed after we figured out that stupid chicken s**t no huddle they went to in the super bowl
Originally posted by English:

Fuller was awesome he was Kam Chancelor before Kam Chancelor. Just didn't play long enough, unfortunately due to his terrible neck injury. Lott and Fuller might have been the best S tandem ever, otherwise.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Weird. This is almost exactly my thinking. Except Jones>Vern. I saw the Monday night game. That was fun.

Are you me?

I was torn here as well and can be talked out of my original decision. Jones was definitely more adept at finding openings in the zone. Great hands and decent speed. I went with VD because of his WR speed and unmatched blocking. FS's would have a nightmare figuring where to roll with Rice, Taylor and a TE like VD in there, not to mention, that may be the best blocking receiver set, ever.
Originally posted by crake49:
WTF? They have to starr out Kevin f*gen's name? Wow.

Webbie once offered to right it and was threatened with mass resignation! Typing in Kevin f*gan is one of the true pleasures of posting here!
  • Chico
  • Veteran
i can't argue with any of these picks except maybe i'd find a way to put Bowman in there. John Taylor is a stud but Owens is a beast that can't be stopped!
Craig vs Gore...Craig was a game breaker, broke tackles with his high knee action and Gore is just a North/South runner with little speed. I really don't see him breaking long runs or busting tackles like Craig did so i would say Craig is the better pick over Gore...