There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All Time 49ers Team

Fun article and a lot of good memories.

I forgot about Guy McIntyre - he was tough as nails.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000336695/alltime-team-san-francisco-49ers
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,814
How is Ray Wersching on that list? As I recall anything outside of 40 yards was a less than 50% chance of success and you could forget about anything over 50. I never understood why we kept him for so long when we had a free spending owner and no salary cap.The guy wasn't qualified to shine Joe Nedney's shoes.
Where's Gabe Wilkins, Antonio Langham and Winfred Tubbs??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,236
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Where's Gabe Wilkins, Antonio Langham and Winfred Tubbs??

in the unemployment line with elmo boyd , brandon doman , isreal ifeanyi
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Where's Gabe Wilkins, Antonio Langham and Winfred Tubbs??

in the unemployment line with elmo boyd , brandon doman , isreal ifeanyi

I'm Sure Rashaun Woods and Saleem Rasheed are in line with them
Originally posted by BobS:
How is Ray Wersching on that list? As I recall anything outside of 40 yards was a less than 50% chance of success and you could forget about anything over 50. I never understood why we kept him for so long when we had a free spending owner and no salary cap.The guy wasn't qualified to shine Joe Nedney's shoes.


He wasn't as bad as you're making it sound...you can't judge him by today's standards for kicking, which blow away anything we saw 25-30+ years ago, but he was definitely over 50% between 40-49. Although, he did shank a game-tying 37-yarder in the final seconds vs. Steelers in 1984 which likely cost the 49ers a 19-0 season. But hey, he did "invent" the squib kick...by accident.
After watching the NFL network old 49er games, seeing Lenvil Elliot running and Dwain Board sacking White made me think of some of the other forgotten 49er stars.

Derrick Deese was super tough.

Kevin Gogan, John Taylor who would have been a #1 on lot of teams, Ricky Waters and the list goes on and on.
i thought merton hanks was a slightly better player than tim mcdonald
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,236
Originally posted by crabman82:
i thought merton hanks was a slightly better player than tim mcdonald

timmy was slow,, but he was very good. the team signed timmy after they got rid of lott and craig. it made us feel a bit better at the time, although i had no problem getting rid of craig at the time. He had a bad last year as a niner and just kind of lost it over night
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,236
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
After watching the NFL network old 49er games, seeing Lenvil Elliot running and Dwain Board sacking White made me think of some of the other forgotten 49er stars.

Derrick Deese was super tough.

Kevin Gogan, John Taylor who would have been a #1 on lot of teams, Ricky Waters and the list goes on and on.
i love that 81 super bowl team, it was the first one and just a bunch of kids and no names, cept for hacksaw, who would grow up to be superstars.
Having grown up in the 60's as an ardent Niner's fan, here are my comments:

Montana- correct

Joe Perry- maybe, but Rathman is my guy here.

Roger Craig- definitely not. The benefactor of Walsh's new system put him on the map but, cannot hold the jockstrap of Frank Gore, the absolute best all around back in Niner history

Rice- correct

Owens- maybe, for 4 years, nobody scared defenses more after the catch then John Taylor. Not even Jerry Rice. I am sure he led the NFL in YAC between the years of 89-93. He had great hands
and was a ferocious blocker. He did not have the longevity that Owens had so I can see the argument. But I would take Taylor at his best.

Vernon Davis- correct

Bob St Clair- overrated. Saw him play often. A SF legend having played highschool, college and pro football at Kezar Stadium. He was kind of a side show. 6' 9", ate raw steak in front of reporters.
Kind of gangly and slow. Love having him in our history but for my money, give me Harris Barton here.

Joe Staley- correct

Guy McKintyre-okay

Randy Cross- okay

Forrest Blue- yeah, maybe Jesse Supolu

4 Man D-Line- Hardman DE, Justin Smith DT, Bryant Young DT and Tommy Hart DE. No disrespect to Nomellini, he was a legend and got to meet him as a kid. Totally in awe, but no pure 49er DE
was as good as Hart all around. He and Hardman were the best rushing DE tandem in 49 history. Sacked the Ram's QB 10 times on a MNF game.

Dave Wilcox- they got that right. Smartest LB in our history. Could do it all. A real stud.

Haley- correct, even though the guy is a sicko.

Willis-correct, Bowman too with a 4 LB defense. Maybe over Willis with a 3 man set.

Jimmy Johnson- nobody comes close as a cover corner in our history other than one year Deion.

Eric Wright- correct

Lott- of course

MacDonald- okay, maybe Dwight Hicks at FS and Lott at SS might have been a better tandem. Hicks could pick and was very smart.

Wershing- yes, wish his leg had been stronger. Was money from 40 on in.

Andy Lee- correct

Abe Woodson- my Niner crush as a kid. Glad to see him here he was phenomenal.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM ]
Might be wrong on this one but where is Dana Stubblefied?
Great to see Eric Wright opposite Jimmy Johnson. The D-line positions highlight how everyone should be judged in context of their own periods, though. Nomellini was a great lineman in his era, but he's get pancaked these days. O-linemen have simply gotten too big. Cross and McKintyre - awesome guards, but the very definition of what some people think of as finesse as opposed to overpowering.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Might be wrong on this one but where is Dana Stubblefied?

Had some great years, thanks to Bryant Young being double teamed, but don't think he could supplant Young or Justin.
http://vimeo.com/14533761