There are 142 users in the forums

I think the Niners should give the ozzie newsome formula of compensatory picks a try.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just curious..how long did it take Newsome to win a SB?
Newsome's was the "I gotta break the bank for Flacco and I can't pay anybody else" formula.
I f**king love how competent our FO is and coaching staff compared to the dark years of recent memory.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I f**king love how competent our FO is and coaching staff compared to the dark years of recent memory.

I have mad respect for our FO. Only New England rivals us.
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

I have mad respect for our FO. Only New England rivals us.

meh.....I think NE is overrated.

As unfortunate as it is for us, Seattles front office is pretty damn good.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by crabman82:

....the 49ers have ALREADY been doing this.

Why do you think the Niners always seem to have more interest in players released by their former team than players who's contracts have expired?

Niners always seem to get comp picks.

Can't compare to the Ravens though. They lost a TON of players and paid for it.

As for Iupati....IF he were traded we could get a 1. If we let him walk we get a 3 ASUUMING they don't sign anyone from another team whos contract has expired. That's why we WON'T get a 3 or a 4 for Whitner. Bethea cancels it out.

you wont get a 1 in a trade for iupati. dont see anyone handing out a 1 AND paying elite money to a guard. they'd likely sign a cheaper guy OR draft a guard in round 1 that they like and have him cheaper for a while. i'm sure in theory if they wanted to trade him they could get something for him but i dont see any way it would be a first rounder.

Disagree.

Iupati isn't only a guard...he's considered the PREMIERE Guard in the NFL right now. There would be a team willing to give up a 1. Maybe not an early 1, but a 1 nonetheless.

BTW, I don't see this happening. He'll play out his contract and they'll let him walk, franchise him, or get a deal done. He won't be traded. My point only was that he's worth a lot more in trade THIS year than maybe getting a pick at the end of the 3rd depending on whom we sign to cancel out his signing.

I agree. They'll have a fair contract for him like they do for ALL of our FA's in their final year. Then it's on them.

Also, we'll continue to use our depth (i.e. time) to develop replacements such as Looney, Martin, or Seymour @ LG and whoever else they pick up in the draft or as UDFA's. This helps twofold (in contract negotiations and in quality development). We have to remember that guys such as Williams, Boone, etc. first developed in our farm system (we can name a # of others and red-shirted rookies to this farm system as well). This allows us to have BETTER and CHEAPER and YOUNGER starters when expensive veterans leave for more $ and in turn, it means we end up with higher comp picks as well while we're better off on the field. It's a win-win from the bottom-up and a very undervalued piece of the restructuring that goes on here....Baalke puts a premium on coaching/development and has created a structure where players CAN develop at a proper pace like in the MLB.
I'd also like to mention Undrafted Free Agents. We've done well with Ian, Dobbs, Celek, Boone, TJE, Brock and McDermott. Because of these undrafted free agent successes, we can develop and trade depth for draft picks. i.e. we get an undrafted and use him to trade for a 7th, 7th for a 6th etc... and so on. Rinse and Repeat. Or, because we have a starter that was undrafted, that's a draft pick that we can save and use for a weakness on our team.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke's got it under control...he won't overpay for either Iupati or Crabtree and those picks will just keep comin'. BTW, if you haven't seen the article yet, Peter King wrote a dandy on Baalke in his latest edition of MMQB.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/25/trent-baalke-nfl-owners-meetings/?eref=sihp

If Bethe cancels out Whitner what will we potentially get for Brown.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
If Bethe cancels out Whitner what will we potentially get for Brown.

Not much. Dictated partially by his contract....1 year 3.5 mil won't do much.
While I love the strategy...can we try and keep Iupati? He's a road grinding top 2 or 3 guard. The drop off would be massive.

Originally posted by crabman82:

....the 49ers have ALREADY been doing this.

Why do you think the Niners always seem to have more interest in players released by their former team than players who's contracts have expired?

Niners always seem to get comp picks.

Can't compare to the Ravens though. They lost a TON of players and paid for it.

As for Iupati....IF he were traded we could get a 1. If we let him walk we get a 3 ASUUMING they don't sign anyone from another team whos contract has expired. That's why we WON'T get a 3 or a 4 for Whitner. Bethea cancels it out.

you wont get a 1 in a trade for iupati. dont see anyone handing out a 1 AND paying elite money to a guard. they'd likely sign a cheaper guy OR draft a guard in round 1 that they like and have him cheaper for a while. i'm sure in theory if they wanted to trade him they could get something for him but i dont see any way it would be a first rounder.

Disagree.

Iupati isn't only a guard...he's considered the PREMIERE Guard in the NFL right now. There would be a team willing to give up a 1. Maybe not an early 1, but a 1 nonetheless.

BTW, I don't see this happening. He'll play out his contract and they'll let him walk, franchise him, or get a deal done. He won't be traded. My point only was that he's worth a lot more in trade THIS year than maybe getting a pick at the end of the 3rd depending on whom we sign to cancel out his signing.

Most teams around the league are probably aware that Iupati has 1 yr left on his contract and the 49ers may not be in a position to resign him. If they were willing to part with a 1st round pick, even a 2015 1st round pick they would make the offer to the 49ers for a trade. I doubt the 49ers would turn it down. Something tells me that no other team wants to give up a 1st round pick for a player they will have to pay huge FA money to in 1 season if they could resign him. Why not just wait 1 yr and sign him as a FA and keep your 1st round pick?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinersRule:
While I love the strategy...can we try and keep Iupati? He's a road grinding top 2 or 3 guard. The drop off would be massive.
Going to cost too much.

Hopefully we keep Boone long term. Better pass protector than Iupati and he has left/right tackle versatility.
would the niners get one for Gore if he retires after the year?
This isn't like baseball or basketball because the NFL always gives teams incentives to keep their FAs. Even if you can't resign a player after their contract year, there's always the option for a Franchise Tag as well.
meh.....I think NE is overrated.

As unfortunate as it is for us, Seattles front office is pretty damn good.

NE has been managing the cap for years. Considering how the odds have been stacked against them season after season in terms of paying their guys, the level of success, even if not in the form of rings, this past decade is unprecedented in the salary cap era. Seattle has only begun to make tough budgeting decisions on their players. They've been good at scouting and acquiring talent but managing the cap is something they haven't had to really do until now so let's not crown them yet.
Share 49ersWebzone