LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

I think the Niners should give the ozzie newsome formula of compensatory picks a try.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What a steal, the Niners let Dashon Goldson walk, get a cheaper replacement in the draft AND get a 3rd round compensatory selection. Ozzie Newsome has been doing this for years in Baltimore.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Wizard-Of-Compensatory-Picks/d6638cb2-c63f-4ea2-a0c2-ac360bfb176c

This is why the Niners should not try to trade Iupati this year, let him play out his contract, let him sign his monster contract in FA, and then receive a 3rd round compenatory pick a year later.
Hell yeah, same with Crabtree, if either of them are not re-signed (for a 49er friendly contract). Those extra picks will be looking good.
its kind of how baalke has been operating for a while, obviously not as long as ozzie has been doing it. think about it, whens the last time we had a pretty good player with 1 year left on his contract and we traded him? i cant think of any recent examples. you either get extended before the final season of your contract or you head into that contract year play it out and likely dont return to the 49ers.
Unless some team calls up and offers us something we can't refuse it's definitely a good idea, iupati and crabs are gonna get monster deals

....the 49ers have ALREADY been doing this.

Why do you think the Niners always seem to have more interest in players released by their former team than players who's contracts have expired?

Niners always seem to get comp picks.

Can't compare to the Ravens though. They lost a TON of players and paid for it.

As for Iupati....IF he were traded we could get a 1. If we let him walk we get a 3 ASUUMING they don't sign anyone from another team whos contract has expired. That's why we WON'T get a 3 or a 4 for Whitner. Bethea cancels it out.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Why do you think the Niners always seem to have more interest in players released by their former team than players who's contracts have expired?

As for Iupati....IF he were traded we could get a 1. If we let him walk we get a 3 ASUUMING they don't sign anyone from another team whos contract has expired. That's why we WON'T get a 3 or a 4 for Whitner. Bethea cancels it out.

you wont get a 1 in a trade for iupati. dont see anyone handing out a 1 AND paying elite money to a guard. they'd likely sign a cheaper guy OR draft a guard in round 1 that they like and have him cheaper for a while. i'm sure in theory if they wanted to trade him they could get something for him but i dont see any way it would be a first rounder.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I see no reason to confound our salary cap situation by signing a guy who is good at only run blocking. Iupati is a beast at opening holes in the run game, but he stinks at pass protection.

I think the team should allow him to play out his contract, especially considering his recent injury history, then offer him a fair deal. If he walks, then we get fairly decent compensation with a draft pick. Not a bad approach in my opinion.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Re: Iupati. I don't think we can sign him, so the only way we can get a 1 for him is trade him this year and maybe add in another lower round draft pick. Me, I'd like him to play out his contract and we get a 3rd rounder in compensation. That way, we get his services for this year, we can draft an offensive lineman to develop this year in place of him next year and the 3rd round comp pick.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Re: Iupati. I don't think we can sign him, so the only way we can get a 1 for him is trade him this year and maybe add in another lower round draft pick. Me, I'd like him to play out his contract and we get a 3rd rounder in compensation. That way, we get his services for this year, we can draft an offensive lineman to develop this year in place of him next year and the 3rd round comp pick.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. I am glad that others understand the value of letting players play out their contract then not overpaying them. Aldon Smith, and CK7 will take up a huge chunk. At this point if one or two WR's from this draft pan out, Crabtree might become a FA.

Absolutely right on, most of us are aware of the bolded. Too bad about our FA losses and gains this year canceling each other out, without a high (or perhaps any) comp pick coming back. I'm guessing that a trade of Iupati for a first rounder isn't going to happen this year, so we will be happy (if it goes down that way) to get the comp 3rd Rd pick for the '16 draft. I love how Baalke and co. work.

• fryet
  • Veteran
The 49ers could do it a little better. Last year we signed Dorsey and this year we signed Bethea. Both will take a compensatory draft pick away from us. If we were to draft the replacements for exiting starters a year earlier, we wouldn't feel the need to sign a free agent to replace them. On the other hand, players like Dorsey aren't found in round 3. He was a former top 10 draft pick that didn't meet expectations. The 49ers like to take flyers on some of these players to see if they can bring out their potential like they did for Justin Smith.

So I guess in summary, we could get more draft picks if we wanted them, and probably should try and make sure we have a plan for 2015 exiting starters (Iupati/Crabtree), however there are still times that signing a free agent is more valuable than the compensatory pick we would get if we didn't.
Originally posted by crabman82:

you wont get a 1 in a trade for iupati. dont see anyone handing out a 1 AND paying elite money to a guard. they'd likely sign a cheaper guy OR draft a guard in round 1 that they like and have him cheaper for a while. i'm sure in theory if they wanted to trade him they could get something for him but i dont see any way it would be a first rounder.

Disagree.

Iupati isn't only a guard...he's considered the PREMIERE Guard in the NFL right now. There would be a team willing to give up a 1. Maybe not an early 1, but a 1 nonetheless.

BTW, I don't see this happening. He'll play out his contract and they'll let him walk, franchise him, or get a deal done. He won't be traded. My point only was that he's worth a lot more in trade THIS year than maybe getting a pick at the end of the 3rd depending on whom we sign to cancel out his signing.
Originally posted by fryet:
The 49ers could do it a little better. Last year we signed Dorsey and this year we signed Bethea. Both will take a compensatory draft pick away from us. If we were to draft the replacements for exiting starters a year earlier, we wouldn't feel the need to sign a free agent to replace them. On the other hand, players like Dorsey aren't found in round 3. He was a former top 10 draft pick that didn't meet expectations. The 49ers like to take flyers on some of these players to see if they can bring out their potential like they did for Justin Smith.

So I guess in summary, we could get more draft picks if we wanted them, and probably should try and make sure we have a plan for 2015 exiting starters (Iupati/Crabtree), however there are still times that signing a free agent is more valuable than the compensatory pick we would get if we didn't.

That's the whole point.

The goal isn't just to obtain as many Comp picks as possible. Its to evaluate the player you get vs the player you could likely get with that comp pick. Dorsey was signed to a deal smaller than both RJF and Isaac Sopoaga. He counted little toward the formula. That's one of the reason the Niners kinda go bargain shopping in FA.

They have been getting comp picks for years now. Hell, Marcus Lattimore was a comp pick at the end of round 4. That's a player with 1st round talent selected late because of the injury and with a comp pick because they were smart on whom they signed.

Remember this the next time people complain about not signing "proven players".
Originally posted by crabman82:

Disagree.

Iupati isn't only a guard...he's considered the PREMIERE Guard in the NFL right now. There would be a team willing to give up a 1. Maybe not an early 1, but a 1 nonetheless.

BTW, I don't see this happening. He'll play out his contract and they'll let him walk, franchise him, or get a deal done. He won't be traded. My point only was that he's worth a lot more in trade THIS year than maybe getting a pick at the end of the 3rd depending on whom we sign to cancel out his signing.

I agree. They'll have a fair contract for him like they do for ALL of our FA's in their final year. Then it's on them.

Also, we'll continue to use our depth (i.e. time) to develop replacements such as Looney, Martin, or Seymour @ LG and whoever else they pick up in the draft or as UDFA's. This helps twofold (in contract negotiations and in quality development). We have to remember that guys such as Williams, Boone, etc. first developed in our farm system (we can name a # of others and red-shirted rookies to this farm system as well). This allows us to have BETTER and CHEAPER and YOUNGER starters when expensive veterans leave for more $ and in turn, it means we end up with higher comp picks as well while we're better off on the field. It's a win-win from the bottom-up and a very undervalued piece of the restructuring that goes on here....Baalke puts a premium on coaching/development and has created a structure where players CAN develop at a proper pace like in the MLB.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:42 PM ]
Baalke's got it under control...he won't overpay for either Iupati or Crabtree and those picks will just keep comin'. BTW, if you haven't seen the article yet, Peter King wrote a dandy on Baalke in his latest edition of MMQB.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/25/trent-baalke-nfl-owners-meetings/?eref=sihp
Share 49ersWebzone