There are 197 users in the forums

Are we transitioning to a single high safety?!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by Since07:
No we don't fix what's not broken

Edit: Maybe some schemes vs certain offensive formations but not permanently

Its not that our secondary is broken, but it could be better, plus the secondary was just dismantled this offseason. If there would be a change this is the time to do it.

Agree if we ARE going to change now is certainly time to do it but anything could be better doesn't mean we should change our defensive philosophy when it's already "historically" great.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
And Rogers being released. I don't see a complete defensive scheme change either, but I do see them wanting to make adjustments in how they cover.

Agreed
It's not so much about the height/size of the CB's re: press. It's about their technique and physicality. Both Brock and Culliver (and perhaps Wright and Cook) are best, IMHO when they are up tight at the LOS and being physical with the WR's and dictating things rather than reacting to clean routes by WR's off the LOS. Both Brock and Culliver are very physical and have the ability to do this while keeping their eyes in the backfield. A perfect example of Brock's aggression was in the Falcon's game that lead to Bowman's pick-6 on Monday night. It was one of the first times all year I saw a Niner CB keep body-position with the WR, keep his eye's in the backfield and MAKE A PLAY ON THE BALL. If he's playing off coverage there and only focused on the WR, the WR catches the ball uncontested and is immediately tackled for a 3 yard gain (our M.O). I truly feel we'll see a different philosophy this year. We'll have a new SS learning our defense, a FS in his second year most likely calling the pre-snap reads and young guys in Brock, Culliver, blue-chip CB, Wright, Morris, Cook, etc. playing together for the first time as a unit. Playing single high and press outside is a good way to play to everyone's strengths and simplify coverages. Will it predominant? Probably not...more like a regular wrinkle BUT if they start to show lots of success with it, then you have a similar Cover 3 and press-scheme like Seattle made a living from. And we'll get back to the old Niner's defenses that used to "dictate" offenses rather than "react" to them.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM ]
two starting safeties...
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's not so much about the height/size of the CB's re: press. It's about their technique and physicality. Both Brock and Culliver (and perhaps Wright and Cook) are best, IMHO when they are up tight at the LOS and being physical with the WR's and dictating things rather than reacting to clean routes by WR's off the LOS. Both Brock and Culliver are very physical and have the ability to do this while keeping their eyes in the backfield. A perfect example of Brock's aggression was in the Falcon's game that lead to Bowman's pick-6 on Monday night. It was one of the first times all year I saw a Niner CB keep body-position with the WR, keep his eye's in the backfield and MAKE A PLAY ON THE BALL. If he's playing off coverage there and only focused on the WR, the WR catches the ball uncontested and is immediately tackled for a 3 yard gain (our M.O). I truly feel we'll see a different philosophy this year. We'll have a new SS learning our defense, a FS in his second year most likely calling the pre-snap reads and young guys in Brock, Culliver, blue-chip CB, Wright, Morris, Cook, etc. playing together for the first time as a unit. Playing single high and press outside is a good way to play to everyone's strengths and simplify coverages. Will it predominant? Probably not...more like a regular wrinkle BUT if they start to show lots of success with it, then you have a similar Cover 3 and press-scheme like Seattle made a living from. And we'll get back to the old Niner's defenses that used to "dictate" offenses rather than "react" to them.

NC, watch that play again. Brock was playing off his man with a 7 yard cushion. This allowed him to watch Ryan at the snap of the ball and jump the route when Brock saw that it was going to be a quick throw. Had he been playing press, there is no way Brock can watch Ryan. He'd have to watch the WR at the snap of the ball to avoid being beat off the LoS.

I agree with what you said about it being more about the physicality/technique and strength of the CB more so than the actual length, although length helps. Brock, although not tall is a physical CB and as I watch him in press man in the ATL game, he rises to the challenge when asked to press. He even got a holding call in this game from being too hands on.

A benefit of playing off, as opposed to press, is not having to focus on the WR at the snap of the ball. When playing press, a CB must focus on the WR and nothing else. There are pros and cons to both styles.

Edit: took this from tthe ATL film thread:
[ Edited by thl408 on Mar 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

NC, watch that play again. Brock was playing off his man with a 7 yard cushion. This allowed him to watch Ryan at the snap of the ball and jump the route when Brock saw that it was going to be a quick throw. Had he been playing press, there is no way Brock can watch Ryan. He'd have to watch the WR at the snap of the ball to avoid being beat off the LoS.

I agree with what you said about it being more about the physicality/technique and strength of the CB more so than the actual length, although length helps. Brock, although not tall is a physical CB and as I watch him in press man in the ATL game, he rises to the challenge when asked to press. He even got a holding call in this game from being too hands on.

I knew you were going to say that and should have qualified that statement! LOL...IIRC (and I could be remembering wrong) he wasn't playing very far off the LOS and jumped the route and played the ball. The WR didn't fly off the LOS (in fact he barely moved) to a soft slant. The point here was that even in press, the CB isn't always right in the face of the WR, up tight, contesting every move off the LOS. Sometimes they do...other times they are within a couple yards (like Sherman) and in the general area staying on their hip, cutting off routes, guiding the WR OOB or establishing position. Whether it was a clear off-coverage (most likely) or a soft press, I was very impressed with his ability to keep good positioning on the WR, stay within a coupe yards of him, keep his eyes in the backfield and make a play on the ball once he saw the QB's arm coming forward (a near INT himself).

PS: I'll take the 1 for 20 times, "Prior to the pass, holding by the CB...5 yard penalty, first down," every time!

PSS: Thanks t...he was playing off further than I remembered inside the RZ on that play. Maybe what we can take from that is that he started out (clearly) in off coverage and at the snap sprinted up keeping his eyes in the backfield and maintaining position.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Captain Obvious says you really can't play "effective" single-high safety/press coverage if you don't have the right personnel for it. When you acquire the right talent over time, you can. For Seattle, it was a 4 year process for everything to come together:

2010 - Drafted Thomas (centerfielder) and Chancellor (box safety) in 2010, giving them the foundation
2011 - Drafted two big corners (Sherman and Maxwell) and signed Browner to play press coverage; added speed LBs in KJ Wright/Malcolm Smith
2012 - Drafted two more speed linebackers, Irvin (DE/OLB at the time) and Wagner to roam sideline-to-sideline, cover TEs and drop quickly into space
2013 - Signed veterans Bennett and Avril to provide intense pass rush off the edges

And there you go.

I think we have most of the elements needed, with the exception of the big, physical corners (though Cully has nice size). That, and Eric Reid is no Earl Thomas.

It's interesting you say that because I am really excited to see him next year to see what this offseason does for him. I think he could be every bit as good as Thomas, but we run a different scheme than Seattle, so it is hard to say until we see it.

If they plan on playing press man, I really hope they consider trading up for Justin Gilbert. He reminds me of Patrick Peterson, and I think he could be a huge addition.
  • thl408
I knew you were going to say that and should have qualified that statement! LOL...IIRC (and I could be remembering wrong) he wasn't playing very far off the LOS and jumped the route and played the ball. The WR didn't fly off the LOS (in fact he barely moved) to a soft slant. The point here was that even in press, the CB isn't always right in the face of the WR, up tight, contesting every move off the LOS. Sometimes they do...other times they are within a couple yards (like Sherman) and in the general area staying on their hip, cutting off routes, guiding the WR OOB or establishing position. Whether it was a clear off-coverage (most likely) or a soft press, I was very impressed with his ability to keep good positioning on the WR, stay within a coupe yards of him, keep his eyes in the backfield and make a play on the ball once he saw the QB's arm coming forward (a near INT himself).

PS: I'll take the 1 for 20 times, "prior to the snap, holding by the CB...5 yard penalty, first down" every time!

My bad NC. It's only because I am watching that ATL game that I can quickly recall what happened. Brock did a great job taking advantage of playing off. He watched the QB and got a clue to what is about to happen. In this case, Ryan took the snap and immediately planted to throw, that's Brock's cue to jump the route.

Back to the single high safety topic. I don't doubt Reid can handle being the lone ranger back there, but I also haven't seen enough to give me confidence that he can. Like someone mentioned, it's probably just a new wrinkle Fangio is looking to add to the mix. If he can find the CBs to do it, and Reid can do it, great, but he isn't about to make any drastic changes to the defense imo. Single high safety with press man will increase run support with numbers at the line of scrimmage, but it reduces the CBs ability to play run support as the WR can quickly lock up the CB while the CB has no clue that it is a run play until it's too late (WR has his hands on the CB).
Originally posted by thl408:

PS: I'll take the 1 for 20 times, "prior to the snap, holding by the CB...5 yard penalty, first down" every time!

My bad NC. It's only because I am watching that ATL game that I can quickly recall what happened. Brock did a great job taking advantage of playing off. He watched the QB and got a clue to what is about to happen. In this case, Ryan took the snap and immediately planted to throw, that's Brock's cue to jump the route.

Back to the single high safety topic. I don't doubt Reid can handle being the lone ranger back there, but I also haven't seen enough to give me confidence that he can. Like someone mentioned, it's probably just a new wrinkle Fangio is looking to add to the mix. If he can find the CBs to do it, and Reid can do it, great, but he isn't about to make any drastic changes to the defense imo. Single high safety with press man will increase run support with numbers at the line of scrimmage, but it reduces the CBs ability to play run support as the WR can quickly lock up the CB while the CB has no clue that it is a run play until it's too late (WR has his hands on the CB).

Oh no, no worries...my memory failed. I did post this after you added in the gif (you may have missed).

PSS: Thanks t...he was playing off further than I remembered inside the RZ on that play. Maybe what we can take from that is that he started out (clearly) in off coverage and at the snap sprinted up keeping his eyes in the backfield and maintaining position.

Also, it was interesting that Brock was playing the QB on the outside (with a known blitz by Reid) and the inside CB immediately dropped back and was playing the WR. Is this part of the coverage scheme?
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM ]
No we don't fix what's not broken

Edit: Maybe some schemes vs certain offensive formations but not permanently

Its not that our secondary is broken, but it could be better, plus the secondary was just dismantled this offseason. If there would be a change this is the time to do it.

Agree if we ARE going to change now is certainly time to do it but anything could be better doesn't mean we should change our defensive philosophy when it's already "historically" great.

I think our run defense is excellent, but I believe our passrush and pass defense could be better to be honest and I believe single high can let our front 7 swarm offense on passing downs. My issue with off man is we let offenses dink and dunk dwn the field and we rarely get turnovers anymore.

I think our run defense is excellent, but I believe our passrush and pass defense could be better to be honest and I believe single high can let our front 7 swarm offense on passing downs. My issue with off man is we let offenses dink and dunk dwn the field and we rarely get turnovers anymore.

And it gives the QB an easy "out" when we do bring the blitz. If anything, we should be playing press and tight WHEN we bring the blitz.

And it gives the QB an easy "out" when we do bring the blitz. If anything, we should be playing press and tight WHEN we bring the blitz.

Which we didn't in the Championship game (but surprisingly did against Carolina).
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
two starting safeties...
Single high safety doesn't determine how many safeties you start... It's a coverage style that puts one safety in the box to help with the run and to cover tightends and puts one safety in the center of the field deep.
If so it woulda made sense to keep hitner. I realize he got paid but he's probably the closest to cam as far as a enforcer.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I doubt it... it's wasn't the scheme that kept us from the 6th ring, it's was the lack of talent
Share 49ersWebzone