There are 30 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are we transitioning to a single high safety?!

The comments made by Chris Cook about his services being used in a single high safety scheme makes me wonder if we are actually making the transition. While we did sometimes play press man, from my point of view we usually used two men high with a lot off man coverage and zone coverage. Are we actually going to see more single high and do we have the personnel to do so. I trust in Eric Reid's range, preparation and instincts in single high, as well as Culliver's abilities to be able to handle this scheme. The worry, for me atleast, is Tramaine Brock in press man, correct me if I am wrong(which I very well maybe), but his lack of ideal size is somewhat worrisome in this scheme he possess the makeup speed as well as the weight and strength for the scheme but the question for me is whether he has the height for larger receivers. What do you all think? I would love the transition if at all possible, just imagine our front 7 with Bethea in the box, and the new found ability to blitz. Cheers!!
[ Edited by philosoraptor on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:29 PM ]
I thought Brock excelled in man as opposed to zone?
That single high safety comment by Cook caught my eye as well. I have no idea what he was talking about.
Originally posted by SFrush:
That single high safety comment by Cook caught my eye as well. I have no idea what he was talking about.

neither does he
I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there were no plans to have a single high safety look in our defense. I thought it was with an interview with Bethea or something...

Don't know why we'd need to run a single high safety.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I thought Brock excelled in man as opposed to zone?

He is really good at off man, I'm not sure about press man
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there were no plans to have a single high safety look in our defense. I thought it was with an interview with Bethea or something...

Don't know why we'd need to run a single high safety.

"They want me to be the press guy," Cook said. "And that's what I like to do. I feel like I'll fit in well with the one-high scheme that they like to run. I came from a two-high scheme. And I feel like a one-high scheme and a man-to-man scheme fits me well."
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
The comments made by Chris Cook about his services being used in a single high safety scheme makes me wonder if we are actually making the transition. While we did sometimes play press man, from my point of view we usually used two men high with a lot off man coverage and zone coverage. Are we actually going to see more single high and do we have the personnel to do so. I trust in Eric Reid's range, preparation and instincts in single high, as well as Culliver's abilities to be able to handle this scheme. The worry, for me atleast, is Tramaine Brock in press man, correct me if I am wrong(which I very well maybe), but his lack of ideal size is somewhat worrisome in this scheme he possess the makeup speed as well as the weight and strength for the scheme but the question for me is whether he has the height for larger receivers. What do you all think? I would love the transition if at all possible, just imagine our front 7 with Bethea in the box, and the new found ability to blitz. Cheers!!

Fangio uses many looks including single high safety (cover1 man), but agree with you that, most of the time, two safeties are back to prevent the big play. Cook's comments caught my attention as well. And lol about Cook not knowing what he's talking about. I buy that.

Reid's instincts and speed will be put on display if the 49ers start to use more cover1. Some ESPN scout mentioned that we may see more cover1 so that Bethea can help with run support while Bow is out. That sounds like a valid reason. I can't tell if Brock is good at press coverage because I don't remember the 49ers playing much of that although I think they did this in the ATL game last season, in the second half.
Captain Obvious says you really can't play "effective" single-high safety/press coverage if you don't have the right personnel for it. When you acquire the right talent over time, you can. For Seattle, it was a 4 year process for everything to come together:

2010 - Drafted Thomas (centerfielder) and Chancellor (box safety) in 2010, giving them the foundation
2011 - Drafted two big corners (Sherman and Maxwell) and signed Browner to play press coverage; added speed LBs in KJ Wright/Malcolm Smith
2012 - Drafted two more speed linebackers, Irvin (DE/OLB at the time) and Wagner to roam sideline-to-sideline, cover TEs and drop quickly into space
2013 - Signed veterans Bennett and Avril to provide intense pass rush off the edges

And there you go.

I think we have most of the elements needed, with the exception of the big, physical corners (though Cully has nice size). That, and Eric Reid is no Earl Thomas.
I don't see Fangio changing up his scheme. It will be added and be an extra wrinkle,
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Captain Obvious says you really can't play "effective" single-high safety/press coverage if you don't have the right personnel for it. When you acquire the right talent over time, you can. For Seattle, it was a 4 year process for everything to come together:

2010 - Drafted Thomas (centerfielder) and Chancellor (box safety) in 2010, giving them the foundation
2011 - Drafted two big corners (Sherman and Maxwell) and signed Browner to play press coverage; added speed LBs in KJ Wright/Malcolm Smith
2012 - Drafted two more speed linebackers, Irvin (DE/OLB at the time) and Wagner to roam sideline-to-sideline, cover TEs and drop quickly into space
2013 - Signed veterans Bennett and Avril to provide intense pass rush off the edges

And there you go.

I think we have most of the elements needed, with the exception of the big, physical corners (though Cully has nice size). That, and Eric Reid is no Earl Thomas.

Exactly and Bethea is no Chancellor. Chancellor alone eliminates tight ends.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SFrush:
That single high safety comment by Cook caught my eye as well. I have no idea what he was talking about.

neither does he

that's my guess
Originally posted by boast:
that's my guess

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SFrush:
That single high safety comment by Cook caught my eye as well. I have no idea what he was talking about.

neither does he

that's my guess


I am not to sure he is clueless, from the sound of it he was told by the front office and coaching staff that they want to utilize his potential as a press man corner, it doesnt seem like he just pulled it out of nowhere.
Originally posted by SFrush:
That single high safety comment by Cook caught my eye as well. I have no idea what he was talking about.

Are they making him a safety?
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by boast:
that's my guess

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by SFrush:
That single high safety comment by Cook caught my eye as well. I have no idea what he was talking about.

neither does he

that's my guess


I am not to sure he is clueless, from the sound of it he was told by the front office and coaching staff that they want to utilize his potential as a press man corner, it doesnt seem like he just pulled it out of nowhere.

Perhaps it's something they will use more of provided they find the CBs to play that style, like Ghost mentioned. Still unconvinced Reid has the range to back up that coverage. It takes a special kind of free safety.