LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 214 users in the forums

Why you shouldn't be worried about the 2015 offseason

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Imthink next year we take care of Crabtree kaep and Aldon at least on that option but iupati will probably get replaced by Jon Martin. I really believe this is going to happen
I think its unlikely the salary cap jumps that high. Theres no way we can just assume the number is going to jump to 140M. We have a lot of tough decisions to make--especially if we win the Superbowl this season. Justin Smith retiring, which i think hes going to do, would help.

I believe Hunter should be a top priority and he WILL get extended at the start of this season. And Crabtree should be extended too--please God--but im not too sure with so much money already tied into so many other players.

Tough decisions coming.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I think its unlikely the salary cap jumps that high. Theres no way we can just assume the number is going to jump to 140M. We have a lot of tough decisions to make--especially if we win the Superbowl this season. Justin Smith retiring, which i think hes going to do, would help.

I believe Hunter should be a top priority and he WILL get extended at the start of this season. And Crabtree should be extended too--please God--but im not too sure with so much money already tied into so many other players.

Tough decisions coming.

I think all the chips fall after the draft which is the focus of the FO now. Then we will see some extensions to vets that will lower some cap #'s and give us more flexibility. Then they can focus on the most important thing and that's extending Kaepernick, I know some ppl don't want 2 give him big $$ but he's our franchise QB & his salary is going to be the largest on the team for the foreseeable future. Once that's done all the chips will fall, I expect Kaep and Crabs extensions to get done this off season, Aldon's option will get picked up b4 the deadline & well likely wait on Iupati.
I think Baalke will do his best to extend Kaep and Crabtree after the 2014 season, they're of the highest priority. Aldon they can worry about in 2016 by using his 5th year option on his rookie contract for his being a first rounder. Hopefully we are able to retain Crabtree, but I am hoping we get 2 receivers this draft. In part because this draft class of receivers is so great, and for the future should we lose Crab. Gotta have a contingency plan and this is the perfect draft to make that happen.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
I think Baalke will do his best to extend Kaep and Crabtree after the 2014 season, they're of the highest priority. Aldon they can worry about in 2016 by using his 5th year option on his rookie contract for his being a first rounder. Hopefully we are able to retain Crabtree, but I am hoping we get 2 receivers this draft. In part because this draft class of receivers is so great, and for the future should we lose Crab. Gotta have a contingency plan and this is the perfect draft to make that happen.

I agree with everything you said but why wait on Kaep/Crabs? IMO you should lock up your best players b4 they ever hit FA. Not locking up Kaep is a huge gamble, the Ravens did that and lost big time with Flacco, I hope we get it done ASAP with those 2. I only want to wait on Aldon because we have the 5th year option and because he I worry he might start shooting off guns, drinking and driving cars into trees again.

Tough decisions coming.

I'm confused. PFT had a report saying the cap will be at least $140M in 2015, maybe $145M, and could jump to $160M in 2016.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Tough decisions coming.

I'm confused. PFT had a report saying the cap will be at least $140M in 2015, maybe $145M, and could jump to $160M in 2016.

every single sports media outlet is talking about this like it's absolute fact. I forget the details (and I'm too lazy to look them up) but it's some sorta formula, TV money and something else being factored in with CBA stuff, it's a certainty.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by cciowa:
ab must have missed the staff meeting they had in romper room last night. we are supposed to go back to the old ways of signing big name free agents for whatever price they want in order for us to win a super bowl. we are supposed to win at all costs. ab just to appease them, what would it have meant if we signed revis, ware and peppers to the same type of deals they got with the teams they signed with? what would it have done to us down the road? perhaps you can make a power point and be a guest speaker at the next meeting of the romper room section of the webzone, they meet every thursday morning at nine am in room 110 of tinker toy tech

How do you do it to yourself? I took one glance at that train wreck and logged off.

I have never been a big fan of free agency although when done in moderation it is very effective.

that was just madden insanity in that room.

but i keep going back to them i try to tell them that when i am the one trying to calm them down,, that is when they should know they are indeed over reacting

I'm hoping we draft 2 WRs this year. I really don't want to break the bank for Crabs.

Amazing AB, thanks bud. You make the WZ not just a fun place but a truly informational place. Cripes, I'm still trying to figure out 2014. You of all people truly deserve the red n' gold nameplate.
Why does the salary cap going up make it any easier to retain players? Serious question. Let's go through a hypothetical scenario here.

First, let's say that Kap and his agent come to us and say, "look, we'll sign for 5-years, $90M" ($18M a year) $18M represents 13.5% of the $133M salary cap. Baalke and co decide to pass on the offer, deciding they want to have another year worth of evaluation on Kap before they commit to him.

The season comes and goes, and -- hypothetically -- Kap's value remains exactly the same. He doesn't improve or regress at all. He's exactly the same player. The only difference is that the salary cap rises to $140M. If Kap and his agent approach the front office and say, "OK, we'll give you the exact same deal as last year. We feel his value hasn't changed at all", they're not going to ask for 5-years, $90M. They're going to be conscious of the fact that the cap went up, and they're going to adjust their offer accordingly. This time around, maybe they're asking for 5-years, $95M ($19M a year). $19M represents exactly 13.5% of the cap.

Repeat this process with every player eligible for free agency. The cap went up 5%, so their asking price just went up 5%. To me, a salary cap increase doesn't really make it any easier to retain players. All it does is distributes more wealth to everyone in the league.
I'M WORRIED!!!!!

Originally posted by theduke85:
Why does the salary cap going up make it any easier to retain players? Serious question. Let's go through a hypothetical scenario here.

First, let's say that Kap and his agent come to us and say, "look, we'll sign for 5-years, $90M" ($18M a year) $18M represents 13.5% of the $133M salary cap. Baalke and co decide to pass on the offer, deciding they want to have another year worth of evaluation on Kap before they commit to him.

The season comes and goes, and -- hypothetically -- Kap's value remains exactly the same. He doesn't improve or regress at all. He's exactly the same player. The only difference is that the salary cap rises to $140M. If Kap and his agent approach the front office and say, "OK, we'll give you the exact same deal as last year. We feel his value hasn't changed at all", they're not going to ask for 5-years, $90M. They're going to be conscious of the fact that the cap went up, and they're going to adjust their offer accordingly. This time around, maybe they're asking for 5-years, $95M ($19M a year). $19M represents exactly 13.5% of the cap.

Repeat this process with every player eligible for free agency. The cap went up 5%, so their asking price just went up 5%. To me, a salary cap increase doesn't really make it any easier to retain players. All it does is distributes more wealth to everyone in the league.

The cap rising doesn't mean players will ask or get more and more money. It increased $10M this year, and 90% of the deals aren't that bad on the cap. Most are cap friendly deals.

The more cap room, the better we are off. Plus Kap won't see a $18M cap figure in 2014 or 2015, they will be in the $12M range for 2015. They will backload it a bit. Just cause an increase happens, doesn't mean the players will get more than they are worth. Baalke won't overpay for anyone.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ninergold:
at some point in the near future, big dollars will come off and get reallocated. gore and cowboy will ride off into the sunset.

i think crabs will ask for huge dime and we could lose him, in addition to iupati.

No one is irreplaceable.

Rarely does paying a WR big money pay off. Crabs is a great WR for the 49ers but paying him 60+ million might not be the best use of that money.
Share 49ersWebzone