There are 256 users in the forums

How will the starting 22 be better than when they last walked off the field?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by FapForGab:
QB position just got upgraded 10 fold, so I fully expect The Gab to start looking to other targets than Boldin. Crabs and Vernon will start getting a lot more into the mix, and now that we wont be playing a simplistic college offense we can run the ball in a NFL style pro offense, not this gimmick one read limited stuff. Kind of wish we still had Jenkins to help out but he was worthless when you had a QB that couldn't look at his 2nd read, let alone 3rd. We had to let him go somewhere where he had an experience QB who looked his way. It was only fair.

Anyways it's gonna be nice getting a fresh start at QB. I really think The Gab can carry this #1 defense better than the past two QB's and that's really going to get us over the edge. So excited and can't wait for my new G7 jersey.

You're joking....right?

Tongue in cheek sarcasm or low land troll (the dumb ones)

Not sure which

"False flag poster". Existing poster sets up another user name to flame a little more. Not realising that any warnings carry over to both user names.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
"False flag poster". Existing poster sets up another user name to flame a little more. Not realising that any warnings carry over to both user names.

LOL!!! People are funny when they think / do that
  • HVHC
The draft should be used to build a solid foundation. Free agency to get a team "over the hump". The Niners have been at the edge of winning another championship the past 3 years. It would be prudent to sign the players (via FA) to help us get over that hump rather than continue to build on a solid foundation that already exists.

Thats not to say that we should not try to reinforce our strengths through the draft, but I just dont see how drafting a rookie CB helps us become a better defense this year as compared to last year's team with a veteran like T.Brown. I know we're restricted bc of our salary cap situation, but if you look at the team on paper and compare it to last year's roster we are not better. The hope is that our coaching staff can translate our player personnel into onfield success, but then again they havent been able to do that with previous teams (in terms of SB wins) with arguably better talent.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HVHC:
The draft should be used to build a solid foundation. Free agency to get a team "over the hump". The Niners have been at the edge of winning another championship the past 3 years. It would be prudent to sign the players (via FA) to help us get over that hump rather than continue to build on a solid foundation that already exists.

Thats not to say that we should not try to reinforce our strengths through the draft, but I just dont see how drafting a rookie CB helps us become a better defense this year as compared to last year's team with a veteran like T.Brown. I know we're restricted bc of our salary cap situation, but if you look at the team on paper and compare it to last year's roster we are not better. The hope is that our coaching staff can translate our player personnel into onfield success, but then again they havent been able to do that with previous teams (in terms of SB wins) with arguably better talent.

+1

How can you compare prior to the draft?
  • HVHC

Because I just dont think replacing players like Rogers and T.Brown with players like Cook and/or rookies drafted make us a better team. Yes, I think Rogers was over-rated. And I dont think T.Brown deserved the contract he received from Oakland. But they were still veterans that were familiar with the system, and IMO it's not plausible to assume that a rookie can come in and fill their shoes in their first year as starter.

Because I just dont think replacing players like Rogers and T.Brown with players like Cook and/or rookies drafted make us a better team. Yes, I think Rogers was over-rated. And I dont think T.Brown deserved the contract he received from Oakland. But they were still veterans that were familiar with the system, and IMO it's not plausible to assume that a rookie can come in and fill their shoes in their first year as starter.

But Reid did.
  • HVHC

But Reid did.

You're more likely to end up with a Vance McDonald (replacing Walker) than Eric Reid (replacing Goldson), wouldnt you agree ?
Rogers and T. Brown are good CBs but they were just ok as slot CBs. Brock proved last year he was the best CB on the team.
If the 49ers were to draft CB Jason Verrett or Lamarcus Joyner and if Culliver can come back 100% then I think the 49ers having a equal if not better Secondary next year.

RCB T. Brock
LCB T. Brown
NB C. Rogers

RCB T. Brock
LCB C. Culliver
NB J. Verrett or L. Joyner

But Reid did.

You're more likely to end up with a Vance McDonald (replacing Walker) than Eric Reid (replacing Goldson), wouldnt you agree ?

With your second round pick you are more likely to end up with a McDonald, a contributor who has not yet become a starter. But with your first round pick there is an expectation that you will find a starter. If your first round pick doesn't start, unless he is a quarterback, words like BUST appear against his name.

But Reid did.

With your second round pick you are more likely to end up with a McDonald, a contributor who has not yet become a starter. But with your first round pick there is an expectation that you will find a starter. If your first round pick doesn't start, unless he is a quarterback, words like BUST appear against his name.
And we'll move up in the second round to get what Baalke thinks is first round talent, or if that's not there, we'll move all the way up into the first round for a second first round pick. I think the only way this doesn't happen is if we move our first round pick well up for WR or CB.
Healthy starting quality WRs that have practiced with the QB should make a huge difference.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We are getting Tank and Lattimore as if they were 1st round draft picks this year.

We have better depth at OT.

We will have fewer personal foul penalties in the secondary.

Our talented rookies will have a year of experience: Reid, McDonald, Lemonier, Patton

We will almost certainly have a better backup QB.

Kap finally has a full year of experience.

We will hopefully upgrade our center spot.

We have TJE emerging.

Then all the injuries (mental and physical) from last year: Crabs, Patton, I Williams, A Smith, Culliver,

And then we will be energized from the new modern stadium with a louder field on defense and our team in the shade.

And then we have a TON of HIGH draft picks in one of the DEEPEST drafts in a decade.

The only possible downs I can see are Bowman and CB, but I think the upgrades far outweigh them at the moment. And don't forget Bowman might come back strong with all the modern rehab he will go through, and our CB position was never what made our defense great anyway.

I'm not even sure if that is accurate.

Terrell Brown/Carlos Rogers. Brock played well enough to get resigned and was going to be a starter regardless.

Culliver would probably have been the starter over Rogers LAST year had he not been hurt. That Knee injury effectively gave Carlos another year with the team.

Beyond that we are looking at a deep draft.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We are getting Tank and Lattimore as if they were 1st round draft picks this year.

We have better depth at OT.

We will have fewer personal foul penalties in the secondary.

Our talented rookies will have a year of experience: Reid, McDonald, Lemonier, Patton

We will almost certainly have a better backup QB.

Kap finally has a full year of experience.

We will hopefully upgrade our center spot.

We have TJE emerging.

Then all the injuries (mental and physical) from last year: Crabs, Patton, I Williams, A Smith, Culliver,

And then we will be energized from the new modern stadium with a louder field on defense and our team in the shade.

And then we have a TON of HIGH draft picks in one of the DEEPEST drafts in a decade.

The only possible downs I can see are Bowman and CB, but I think the upgrades far outweigh them at the moment. And don't forget Bowman might come back strong with all the modern rehab he will go through, and our CB position was never what made our defense great anyway.

Nice post. The only thing that might be concerning is Bowman's fitness throughout the season. Not concerned about the CB's, they're there to suit the scheme we want to run. As long as we add a quality slot CB in the draft we'll be set there.

I never thought about the stadium design being such a great assistance to our team. That will be huge down the track.
Share 49ersWebzone