LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

2014 CB depth chart

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pd24:
Don't sleep on Dax Swanson. He looks to have all the tools. Could be the next Brock a year or 2 down the line.

I know nothing about him...anyone have any scout info? Insight? Baalke signed a bunch (13 players) recently to future contracts.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Don't sleep on Dax Swanson. He looks to have all the tools. Could be the next Brock a year or 2 down the line.

I know nothing about him...anyone have any scout info? Insight? Baalke signed a bunch (13 players) recently to future contracts.
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/7/1/4475708/get-to-know-an-undrafted-free-agent-daxton-swanson
Swanson became an immediate starter at with Sam Houston State. In 41 games there, he recorded 14 interceptions, 31 pass breakups and 129 tackles.Swanson's junior season is what vaulted him into NFL prospect discussions, coming down with eight interceptions and nine pass breakups. For a player who is only 5'11 and 185 pounds, Swanson obviously couldn't win his coverage battles with physicality. He had to be disciplined and keep himself in position to make plays on the ball, which he certainly did.
Positives:Swanson has the speed and acceleration to make the jump from the top of FCS to the NFL. His 4.43 time at his pro day is legit. His burst out of breaks is very good, giving him the ability to click and close on the ball. Swanson has a strong feeling for route anticipation and how the receiver is going to attack him. Ball skills are excellent, with keen sense of timing, great aggression to the ball, and soft hands. He can make the athletic catch in traffic and goes for the ball relentlessly. Primarily playing press/bail and off-man, Swanson covers a lot of ground quickly and shows real stickiness in tracking receivers. He is a generally reliable tackler who drops his weight well after contact. He was skilled enough early to play as a true freshman at Toledo before transferring back close to home in Texas. Swanson showed up big in playoff games, and comes from an excellent FCS program that is well-coached. He played well in games vs. BCS competition.

Negatives:The biggest knock for me is his lack of bulk. Swanson is pretty averaged sized at 5'10" and 186, but his body frame is slender and he has maxed it out. His jam is not very physical and he doesn't force receivers off track well. He has little experience against top-level receivers or quarterbacks after transferring to SHSU from Toledo, though he did play well against Texas A&M. There isn't a lot of force behind his pads when he hits; his tackling is more about angles and timing. Because he is aggressive in going after the ball, Swanson will get burned by well-executed double moves and pump fakes (see Montana 2011). Some of that was a function of how the Bearkats are coached, so it will be interesting to see how adeptly he can adjust his style.

Overall:Swanson has been the ringleader of a very talented secondary at one of the best FCS programs in the country after transferring despite earning playing time as a true freshman at Toledo. His aggression in coverage is appealing, but his average size and athleticism probably limit Swanson to a reserve role at the next level. He'd make a nice 4th corner for a man coverage team, and that's worthy of a late 6th or a 7th round pick. -Jeff Risdon

Positive: Fluid cornerback with nice size as well as a history of making big plays. Quick when flipping his hips to transition off the line with opponents. Stays with receivers out of breaks and maintains solid downfield coverage. Plays heads-up football, displays good ball skills, and has a nice break to the throw as well as a burst of closing speed. Displays timing on pass defenses, gets vertical, and adjusts to knock away the throw. Battles receivers at the line scrimmage and mixes it up throughout the route. Does a nice job reading receivers' eyes, then getting his head back around to locate the pass in the air. Effective facing the action and shows good route recognition in zone coverage.Negative: Stiff pedaling in reverse and is better facing the action. Not a sure tackler. Lacks long speed.Analysis: Swanson was effective on the small-school level and has the ball skills to play in dime packages for a zone system at the next level.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/7/1/4475708/get-to-know-an-undrafted-free-agent-daxton-swanson
Swanson became an immediate starter at with Sam Houston State. In 41 games there, he recorded 14 interceptions, 31 pass breakups and 129 tackles.Swanson's junior season is what vaulted him into NFL prospect discussions, coming down with eight interceptions and nine pass breakups. For a player who is only 5'11 and 185 pounds, Swanson obviously couldn't win his coverage battles with physicality. He had to be disciplined and keep himself in position to make plays on the ball, which he certainly did.
Positives:Swanson has the speed and acceleration to make the jump from the top of FCS to the NFL. His 4.43 time at his pro day is legit. His burst out of breaks is very good, giving him the ability to click and close on the ball. Swanson has a strong feeling for route anticipation and how the receiver is going to attack him. Ball skills are excellent, with keen sense of timing, great aggression to the ball, and soft hands. He can make the athletic catch in traffic and goes for the ball relentlessly. Primarily playing press/bail and off-man, Swanson covers a lot of ground quickly and shows real stickiness in tracking receivers. He is a generally reliable tackler who drops his weight well after contact. He was skilled enough early to play as a true freshman at Toledo before transferring back close to home in Texas. Swanson showed up big in playoff games, and comes from an excellent FCS program that is well-coached. He played well in games vs. BCS competition.

Negatives:The biggest knock for me is his lack of bulk. Swanson is pretty averaged sized at 5'10" and 186, but his body frame is slender and he has maxed it out. His jam is not very physical and he doesn't force receivers off track well. He has little experience against top-level receivers or quarterbacks after transferring to SHSU from Toledo, though he did play well against Texas A&M. There isn't a lot of force behind his pads when he hits; his tackling is more about angles and timing. Because he is aggressive in going after the ball, Swanson will get burned by well-executed double moves and pump fakes (see Montana 2011). Some of that was a function of how the Bearkats are coached, so it will be interesting to see how adeptly he can adjust his style.

Overall:Swanson has been the ringleader of a very talented secondary at one of the best FCS programs in the country after transferring despite earning playing time as a true freshman at Toledo. His aggression in coverage is appealing, but his average size and athleticism probably limit Swanson to a reserve role at the next level. He'd make a nice 4th corner for a man coverage team, and that's worthy of a late 6th or a 7th round pick. -Jeff Risdon

Positive: Fluid cornerback with nice size as well as a history of making big plays. Quick when flipping his hips to transition off the line with opponents. Stays with receivers out of breaks and maintains solid downfield coverage. Plays heads-up football, displays good ball skills, and has a nice break to the throw as well as a burst of closing speed. Displays timing on pass defenses, gets vertical, and adjusts to knock away the throw. Battles receivers at the line scrimmage and mixes it up throughout the route. Does a nice job reading receivers' eyes, then getting his head back around to locate the pass in the air. Effective facing the action and shows good route recognition in zone coverage.Negative: Stiff pedaling in reverse and is better facing the action. Not a sure tackler. Lacks long speed.Analysis: Swanson was effective on the small-school level and has the ball skills to play in dime packages for a zone system at the next level.

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out for this one...love the dark horses. So basically, he's an inch taller and the same weight as Terrell Brown. Online it says his 5'11" 191. Size was the scouts only big negative. Very interesting! Baalke does seem to have an eye for DB's so fingers crossed.
Size isn't everything...I know it's become popular to look for bigger CB's and there's nothing wrong with that, but there are still a number of smaller guys who're flat-out ballers. Case in point is Jason Verrett...smallish by NFL "standards" but I'm betting he'll become quite the slot cover CB. FWIW, one of the all-time greatest NFL CB's, Daryl Green, was only 5-9.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Size isn't everything...I know it's become popular to look for bigger CB's and there's nothing wrong with that, but there are still a number of smaller guys who're flat-out ballers. Case in point is Jason Verrett...smallish by NFL "standards" but I'm betting he'll become quite the slot cover CB. FWIW, one of the all-time greatest NFL CB's, Daryl Green, was only 5-9.

No question about it, Corv!
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

No question about it, Corv!

Green is an example of a big man in a short body! One of my all time favorite NFL stories. I'm hoping a guy like Joyner can be that kind of guy if the niners go after him.
Share 49ersWebzone