There are 172 users in the forums

2014 CB depth chart

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RonMexico:
everyone doesn't feel comforted by rookies performing this year

If any rookies are going to play they will have to unseat Brock, Cully and Wright. I hope IF a rookie plays they play as Cully did when he got here. I also hope to get the play of the 2011 secondary again because that year we brought in Rogers, Whitner and started Brown and Goldson. Goldson was the only guy that had been a fixture here in a sense and guess what? We made it work beautifully!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

If any rookies are going to play they will have to unseat Brock, Cully and Wright. I hope IF a rookie plays they play as Cully did when he got here. I also hope to get the play of the 2011 secondary again because that year we brought in Rogers, Whitner and started Brown and Goldson. Goldson was the only guy that had been a fixture here in a sense and guess what? We made it work beautifully!

And Morris as well (maube Cook given his NFL experience). It won't be easy. If we go to a more simplified press coverage scheme, he's got a shot to unseat 1 of the top 3 but dount he earns a #2 spot in one off season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Niners99:
1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Wright
4. Cook
5. Morris

Not getting Thurmond really makes our CB's look weak. Brock is great, but after that its Culliver coming off a rookie 2012, and a few scrubs. Morris isnt ready, Wright wouldnt make half of NFL rosters, and Cook blows.

LOL, I thought you ran out of ridiculous things to say. Wright looked good in his limited time playing, had some injury issues but he's someone with clear talent and ability. He got into a bad situation in Tampa Bay and simply needs a chance to build himself back up again. He's a guy who has started 81 games as an NFL cornerback, I think he's been extremely underrated by people like you. If healthy, he'll be a very good contributor to this secondary.

Remember in the playoffs, when we needed a nickel corner to fill in for Rogers, and Wright was next in line? Remember who stepped in fresh off being signed and played ALL the snaps over Wright? Perrish Cox.

Im not saying Wright is garbage, but right now hes our 3rd best CB, and that means our CB depth is lacking. Hes got potential, but so does Cook. Doesnt mean they can be relied on.
J.Gilbert
C.Culliver
T.Brock
C.Cook
E.Wright
D.Morris
Remember in the playoffs, when we needed a nickel corner to fill in for Rogers, and Wright was next in line? Remember who stepped in fresh off being signed and played ALL the snaps over Wright? Perrish Cox.

Im not saying Wright is garbage, but right now hes our 3rd best CB, and that means our CB depth is lacking. Hes got potential, but so does Cook. Doesnt mean they can be relied on.

Wright was injured BTW
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Wright pulled his hamstring before the Packers game.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Wright pulled his hamstring before the Packers game.

No excuses! When I was young we dreamed of only having pulled hamstrings and had to play with broken kneecaps!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM ]

Remember who was suffering from lingering injury issues, such that the 49ers didn't think he'd be effective as a result of those injuries??? It wasn't that Cox outperformed Wright, it was simply that Wright wasn't healthy at the time, that much has come out since the season ended.

Prior to that, Wright had looked very good in this defense, given a full offseason and a clean bill of health, I think he'll be a much bigger contributor to this team than most realize.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Remember who was suffering from lingering injury issues, such that the 49ers didn't think he'd be effective as a result of those injuries??? It wasn't that Cox outperformed Wright, it was simply that Wright wasn't healthy at the time, that much has come out since the season ended.

Prior to that, Wright had looked very good in this defense, given a full offseason and a clean bill of health, I think he'll be a much bigger contributor to this team than most realize.

When Wright played as the 3rd CB during the regular season, he was playing LCB (Rogers moves to slot in the nickel). If I remember correctly, Wright injured himself while prepping for the GB game. I wonder if he was being worked in the slot? Rogers was injured and did not practice or play that week (GB playoff game). Point is, was Wright about to play the slot in that game?
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I have 0 faith in any of our current CBs

What I expect to see is something like this . . .

1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Day 1 or 2 Rookie
4. Day 2 or 3 Rookie
5. Morris, Cook or Wright

Hopefully the rookies push their way to the top sooner rather than later, but I think we have to go with a youth movement. We need to cultivate reliable cheap labor over the next few years as we try to extend 2nd contracts to our core group. I think the secondary is a good place to get that done with Donatell being one of the best position coaches we have. I think we should grab another strong safety candidate relatively early too.
Depends who they draft. If they trade up for Gilbert or Denard I could see either of them starting. Cully isn't just coming off a major injury but terrible play also.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Depends who they draft. If they trade up for Gilbert or Denard I could see either of them starting. Cully isn't just coming off a major injury but terrible play also.

Id feel more comfortable if we resigned cox and drafted Gilbert, Dennard or Fuller.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Id feel more comfortable if we resigned cox and drafted Gilbert, Dennard or Fuller.

This is likely. I wouldn't be surprised if Baalke brought in a "meh" veteran CB as well closer to the draft. It's what he does. And hopefully that player will pan out for us like Brock/Cox as well.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Don't sleep on Dax Swanson. He looks to have all the tools. Could be the next Brock a year or 2 down the line.
[ Edited by pd24 on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone