2014 CB depth chart

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Wright
4. Cook
5. Morris

Not getting Thurmond really makes our CB's look weak. Brock is great, but after that its Culliver coming off a rookie 2012, and a few scrubs. Morris isnt ready, Wright wouldnt make half of NFL rosters, and Cook blows.

LOL, I thought you ran out of ridiculous things to say. Wright looked good in his limited time playing, had some injury issues but he's someone with clear talent and ability. He got into a bad situation in Tampa Bay and simply needs a chance to build himself back up again. He's a guy who has started 81 games as an NFL cornerback, I think he's been extremely underrated by people like you. If healthy, he'll be a very good contributor to this secondary.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL, I thought you ran out of ridiculous things to say. Wright looked good in his limited time playing, had some injury issues but he's someone with clear talent and ability. He got into a bad situation in Tampa Bay and simply needs a chance to build himself back up again. He's a guy who has started 81 games as an NFL cornerback, I think he's been extremely underrated by people like you. If healthy, he'll be a very good contributor to this secondary.

+1. I think a lot of people are overlooking Wright. He's now more familiar with the D scheme and hopefully he gets better with more playing time, stays healthy, and keeps out of trouble.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

+1. I think a lot of people are overlooking Wright. He's now more familiar with the D scheme and hopefully he gets better with more playing time, stays healthy, and keeps out of trouble.

True. If we can do what we do up front with our 7 then our backend will have ample opportunity to shine

I agree. I have a feeling that Wrights lack of playing time had much more to do with personal choices then it did with his play on the field. His play on the field was encouraging too so I don't understand the negativity regarding his on the field performance. What we have in Wright is guy who's life was in upheaval during last off season, and possibly still needs to be condensed into a more manageable lifestyle. This is a good environment for him. As good a place as any, and I think the patience of the FO will pay THIS season.

And if not then it was only a veteran minimum. People really need to get a little more realistic when it comes to FA signing. We're locking up OUR guys. That means Kaep, Aldon, Crab, Cully, Iupati, and Boone. All of which will be up for contract over the next 2 season. Cutting Rogers allowed us to replace Whitner with a vet in Bethea. It's important to note that Betheas contract will be easily releaseable in 2 season from a financial perspective. So the FO is not going to put themselves in poor financial position with all the young and talented players coming up on contract years. Signing a CB now could mean losing one of those guys from that list.

I know some people are frustrated Brown went for so cheap, but think of it this way. Instead of renting Brown for a year we're extending Cully for 2-3. Over the next couple of draft we're going to build the secondary so the CB depth chart is not a finished product either. Guys will step up this year like they have almost every year for the past 3 years. Ultimately if the pass rush is getting there we wont have to worry about Cook and Wright anyway but until then we shouldn't be so critical of the FO. They're playing chess not checkers.
1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Draft Pick
4. Wright/Cook/Cox
5. Morris/Draft Pick

Wouldn't surprise me if they bring Cox back closer to TC if he doesn't get picked up and he competes with Wright and Cook.
I think Morris has value, but at this time more on ST.
Originally posted by buck:
Culliver was our second best cornerback in the 2012 regular season.

In 2013, Tramaine Brock was our best cornerback and Eric Wright was third.

Well, according PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2013&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=0&numgames=1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2012&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=0&numgames=1

Yeah, I think Wright is going to surprise people with a full off season of work. He is really going to push Brock/Culliver hard for that #2 as will the #1 CB we pick up. Its going to be really fun watching this secondary get younger, faster, stronger, more physical and continue to grow. Donatell can coach them up and I can't wait to see if Fangio is going o change up his scheme to more press!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice post and it's a fair concern. But check this out:

04/25/2013 The 49ers have selected S Eric Reid pick No. 18 in the 2013 NFL Draft.
04/15/2013 The 49ers have signed CB Tramaine Brock to a one-year contract.
04/03/2013 The 49ers have signed CB Nnamdi Asomugha to a one-year contract.
03/21/2013 The 49ers have signed S Darcel McBath to a one-year contract.
03/16/2013 The 49ers have signed S Craig Dahl to a three-year contract.

Catch my drift? Many of the moves were made within a month of the draft last year and we had few holes there...and quickly solidified the "hole" in the draft. This year, CB & S will be a top priority.

Now how big was that "meh" Brock signing 10 days before the draft? Cox was the same way. Whitner and Rogers were "meh" signings at best esp. with Nnamdi and other big names signing with other teams such as the Eagles...and then we ended up with Nnamdi anyhow. Remember Brown surprised everyone in NT when he "won" a starting CB spot himself out of nowhere. Last year, remember, we went with Nnamdi instead of Cooper. Oops! Also, Baalke already signed 13 players to future contracts and even Spillman can play CB if needed.

Now let's look at the starters and depth:
T. Brock - Signed and secure and for the first time in his career, will be preparing for a full season as a starter!
C.Culliver - Baalke wanted him to start TWO years ago. What does that tell you? Baalke is already working on a contract extension as we speak.
E. Wright - Knows this defense now and for the first time, willl have a full offseason and a real shot at earning a #2 or #3 spot = motivated.
D. Morris - The dude got better and better through college and even beat out Cooper for a final spot. Year 2, like the others, will be their year to "lock down" their roles.
A. Bethea C. Dahl R. Ventrone - Anyone worried here?
E. Reid C. Spillman - Or here?

We only kept 7 CB's last year and 4 spots are already guaranteed for 2014! In 2013, 3 CB's were on I.R. or NFI to start the year so really, we only started the year with 4 total CB's.

2013:
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock; Chris Culliver, Eric Wright & Nnamdi Asomugha (I.R. & NFI)
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Raymond Ventrone

We will add another blue-chip CB on the outside and another slot CB in the draft and possibly another "meh" FA or two for competition closer to the draft.

Just learn from our FO's pattern of success and be patient. Watch "the plan" unfold.

I like it and I'm with you - I trust our FO and they've had the history over these past three+ years to back it up. It's only Mar. 17 in the offseason...what we have in place right now at CB is already better than what a lot of other teams have. Once the draft rolls around (May 8 can't get here soon enough), I know we'll have added one or two quality rookie CBs and hopefully we'll be talking about an upgraded CB situation once we get to Sept.

Agreed. I also expect a couple "meh" FA signings as well for added competition around a month prior to the draft as well.
Originally posted by ritchie:
1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Draft Pick
4. Wright/Cook/Cox
5. Morris/Draft Pick

Wouldn't surprise me if they bring Cox back closer to TC if he doesn't get picked up and he competes with Wright and Cook.

Agreed and let's be honest...MANY teams were hungry for CB's this off season yet Brown lasted a week+ with 0 calls and the 1 he did get, he jumped on for the Raiders on a one-year deal. And Rogers? He's still out there as is Cox. So again, as fans, were we overrating these guys some? It's not like any of them had high $-demands.
1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Draft Pick
4. Wright/Cook/Cox
5. Morris/Draft Pick

Agreed and let's be honest...MANY teams were hungry for CB's this off season yet Brown lasted a week+ with 0 calls and the 1 he did get, he jumped on for the Raiders on a one-year deal. And Rogers? He's still out there as is Cox. So again, as fans, were we overrating these guys some? It's not like any of them had high $-demands.

I'm not sure what kind of market Brown was realistically expecting to get. He's solid, gets the job done but he's not a top, big name corner in this league by any means. I thought the 49ers offered him a very fair deal to let him stay with a winner for possibly the rest of his career - his decision to go to Oakland on a prove it deal, because he's expecting/hoping to get big money when he hits free agency again next year when he'll be 30 () is completely beyond our control. Personally, I'm kind of happy he and Rogers (off coverage CBs) are gone - finally gives Baalke/Fangio the opportunity to start from scratch and build their own ideal secondary which I'm hoping includes more press and jamming WRs at the LOS.

I will miss Whitner doe. Only guy I wanted to bring back. Yeah his coverage wasn't the best but he was a fierce hitter, leader, competitor, and a great mentor to Reid. #Respect
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Mar 18, 2014 at 8:00 AM ]
1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Draft Pick
4. Wright/Cook/Cox
5. Morris/Draft Pick

Yeah. The CB depth will be fine. Also, when the Rogers designation $$ comes into effect, they'll either stash that to add to next year's cap or grab someone on a 1 year if in case they feel they need to add another body post draft.

Say what you want about Rogers, but Brown is a good corner. I know he didn't want to be here, whatever, and I'm not saying he's elite or anything but he's better than Cook, and Wright. He had injury problems the past couple seasons and I'm sure that hurt him some on the open market. I know what I saw on the field. Brown was getting healthy and starting to look more like T. Brown toward the end of last season. You can say I'm homering and over rating T. Brown, that may be true, but I'm positive some of you are over rating Wright and Culliver.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Say what you want about Rogers, but Brown is a good corner. I know he didn't want to be here, whatever, and I'm not saying he's elite or anything but he's better than Cook, and Wright. He had injury problems the past couple seasons and I'm sure that hurt him some on the open market. I know what I saw on the field. Brown was getting healthy and starting to look more like T. Brown toward the end of last season. You can say I'm homering and over rating T. Brown, that may be true, but I'm positive some of you are over rating Wright and Culliver.

I think that Brown made a good decision, a good decision for him.

He may have not got the money that he wants, but the contract with the Raiders is only for a year.

He should easily become the starter for Oakland, and will have a clear and unobstructed opportunity to show that he is a quality corner back.

He should have a good year in Oakland, and then he becomes a free agent again.

I wish him the best of luck.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM ]
1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Draft Pick
4. Wright/Cook/Cox
5. Morris/Draft Pick

Yes, I believe we tend to over rate some of our own players at times...fall in love with a guys perceived talent. The fact that Rogers hasn't signed and Cox is a yo-yo indicates how much competition is out there and might just point out that some 49ers are undervalued--Wright, Morris and Cook. Donatell has worked with Wright and Morris for the past year and likely knows what they can do in the coming season. If he signed off on cutting Rogers so be it.

I'll be curious to watch the center position! This line has some interesting young players but are they future starters?

C/G Kilgore, Looney
G/T Boone, Netter, Snyder
G Iupati
T Staley, Martin, Marquardt
T/G Davis, Bykowski

Some of these guys played two positions in college, or HS...so I listed them accordingly. Netter was a four year starter at LT. The team still seems a bit short on the center position. I know that Snyder filled in once upon a time but that would be a stretch. Tackle seems really well set, especially if Marquardt or Bykowski are ready--Staley, Davis, Boone, Martin, Marquardt, Bykowski, Netter and Snyder can all play OT. In the old days, Coach Bobb would take these guys and mold a good line out of them...still waiting to see if this coaching staff can turn these guys into a good pass blocking group.

Possible scenarios :

1) Staley--Iupati--Kilgore--Boone--Davis (starters as of today)
2) Staley--Davis--Kilgore--Boone--Martin (if Iupati leaves next year)
3) Martin--Looney--Kilgore--Boone--Davis (Staley has a bad back)
4) Martin--Looney--Kilgore--Davis--Boone (all new or new position team)
5) Martin--Netter--Looney--Bykowski--Marquardt (youngest team, but Davis is only a year older! 24 is pretty young for his experience level)
why is everyone concerned about the depth at CB? We have a titload of picks in a stacked Corner back class in this years draft. Relax bros
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
why is everyone concerned about the depth at CB? We have a titload of picks in a stacked Corner back class in this years draft. Relax bros

everyone doesn't feel comforted by rookies performing this year
Share 49ersWebzone