There are 242 users in the forums

2014 CB depth chart

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
When did I say you were on the phone with Baalke? What are you talking about man? I just questioned why the club would move a promising CB, a position in question, to a position with two solid starters. I gave some film in the Cook thread which is more than I've ever seen from you. There's also film of him doing a poor job locating the ball while showing poor effort making a play on the ball. There is no film if him playing deep zone in the games I watched. For additional research, I went to a Vikings board and saw that many posters expressed frustration in him not improving over the years while getting lots of playing time.
1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Wright
4. Cook
5. Morris

Not getting Thurmond really makes our CB's look weak. Brock is great, but after that its Culliver coming off a rookie 2012, and a few scrubs. Morris isnt ready, Wright wouldnt make half of NFL rosters, and Cook blows.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by thl408:
When did I say you were on the phone with Baalke? What are you talking about man? I just questioned why the club would move a promising CB, a position in question, to a position with two solid starters. I gave some film in the Cook thread which is more than I've ever seen from you. There's also film of him doing a poor job locating the ball while showing poor effort making a play on the ball. There is no film if him playing deep zone in the games I watched. For additional research, I went to a Vikings board and saw that many posters expressed frustration in him not improving over the years while getting lots of playing time.

Apologies bro, I thought you were taking a shot at me. I was actually referring to sometwo else, but like I said, it was my opinion on what I'd like to see play Safety or moved there. I'm not saying do it today nor am I saying that they will do it. I just thought that he was an honorable mention as a Safety in the SEC, it wouldn't be such a bad idea seeing him back at Safety.

As for what you posted in the Official Cook thread, I wouldn't exactly call that film though, but a highlight of a couple of his mistakes. But again, I apologize for that shot I took at you my mistake.
Is Leon sandcastle available?
In looking at it closer as it stands today, I am a little concerned with the CB situation (not the Safeties...I'm liking the pairing of Reid with Bethea). Here's why:

-I like Brock, but he has never started for a full season for the team - will he be consistently good over 16 games + the playoffs, will he be durable, etc. (hopefully the answer is "yes" to such questions after he was promoted last year...that's a big "hopefully", though, on a Super Bowl contender)
-I like Culliver and what he has shown before getting hurt last year; that said, who knows how he'll come back after the major knee injury
-Wright was not too long ago highly thought of as a starting-caliber CB; can he round back into his previous form, and, can he stay out of trouble?
-Cook is a wildcard here and the team didn't spend much to get him - can the Niners bring out the best in him? He was pretty highly drafted not long ago, he has the size and looks the part...will he be a good fit and, like Wright, stay out of trouble?
-Morris has the speed, we know that much...can he develop to where he can earn some playing time? So far, little-to-no NFL CB playing experience.
-A CB with our 1st or 2nd Rd. pick...hopefully, this rookie would step right in and get playing time immediately (another big "hopefully" and the Niners would be counting on it)

The front office has more than earned the right to be trusted (three straight NFC Championship games) - that, to me, is a given and this is nothing to speak against that. This is only to mention that, as it stands right now, there is reason to be concerned about the CB situation. A main reason for the concern with this CB group is this is a Super Bowl-caliber D and team...the team is that close and, even with a great pass rush and terrific front 7, you need to be able to cover and tackle on the back end. I think one more quality, veteran CB would help...someone that wouldn't cost too much. Maybe Terrell Thomas? Or, should Carlos Rogers not find a team (probably will, though) and be willing to come back at the right price, I wouldn't close the door on that. He's getting up there in age but he knows the system and can cover the slot.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If Brock is (supposedly) our "best" CB, we need help. Brock is very good, but Cully coming off that injury (100%?), Wright/Morris unproven, Cooks is proven to suck and what FA available is something to write home about... we can only hope the draft can provide immediate assistance.

Safety position needs immediate (back up) help, as well......
Originally posted by 707Niners:
1. Chris Culliver
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Walter Thurmond
4. Eric Wright
5. Chris Cook
6. Darryl Morris

I think the Niners sign Thurmond when he visits, he still young and has a lot of potential, and there is some good depth here with three young talented corners in Culliver, Brock and Thurmond

Then there's no room for a rookie. And if we we're to draft a rookie high, he will have to be kept and now we'd have to cut someone abaove-thus our cast offs go elsewhere and make other teams better- some even win SB's...No need for Thurmond now,
We need to draft a Starter calibre CB, and a backup Safety.
Remaining free agent cbs are Antonio cromartie and DRC. I would take either on a 3-4 million 1 year deal
No worries, y'all. Cully, Brock, Verrett, Reid, Bethea will do juuust fiiine for us next year...

Before the draft

After the draft

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
In looking at it closer as it stands today, I am a little concerned with the CB situation (not the Safeties...I'm liking the pairing of Reid with Bethea). Here's why:

-I like Brock, but he has never started for a full season for the team - will he be consistently good over 16 games + the playoffs, will he be durable, etc. (hopefully the answer is "yes" to such questions after he was promoted last year...that's a big "hopefully", though, on a Super Bowl contender)
-I like Culliver and what he has shown before getting hurt last year; that said, who knows how he'll come back after the major knee injury
-Wright was not too long ago highly thought of as a starting-caliber CB; can he round back into his previous form, and, can he stay out of trouble?
-Cook is a wildcard here and the team didn't spend much to get him - can the Niners bring out the best in him? He was pretty highly drafted not long ago, he has the size and looks the part...will he be a good fit and, like Wright, stay out of trouble?
-Morris has the speed, we know that much...can he develop to where he can earn some playing time? So far, little-to-no NFL CB playing experience.
-A CB with our 1st or 2nd Rd. pick...hopefully, this rookie would step right in and get playing time immediately (another big "hopefully" and the Niners would be counting on it)

The front office has more than earned the right to be trusted (three straight NFC Championship games) - that, to me, is a given and this is nothing to speak against that. This is only to mention that, as it stands right now, there is reason to be concerned about the CB situation. A main reason for the concern with this CB group is this is a Super Bowl-caliber D and team...the team is that close and, even with a great pass rush and terrific front 7, you need to be able to cover and tackle on the back end. I think one more quality, veteran CB would help...someone that wouldn't cost too much. Maybe Terrell Thomas? Or, should Carlos Rogers not find a team (probably will, though) and be willing to come back at the right price, I wouldn't close the door on that. He's getting up there in age but he knows the system and can cover the slot.

Nice post and it's a fair concern. But check this out:

04/25/2013 The 49ers have selected S Eric Reid pick No. 18 in the 2013 NFL Draft.
04/15/2013 The 49ers have signed CB Tramaine Brock to a one-year contract.
04/03/2013 The 49ers have signed CB Nnamdi Asomugha to a one-year contract.
03/21/2013 The 49ers have signed S Darcel McBath to a one-year contract.
03/16/2013 The 49ers have signed S Craig Dahl to a three-year contract.

Catch my drift? Many of the moves were made within a month of the draft last year and we had few holes there...and quickly solidified the "hole" in the draft. This year, CB & S will be a top priority.

Now how big was that "meh" Brock signing 10 days before the draft? Cox was the same way. Whitner and Rogers were "meh" signings at best esp. with Nnamdi and other big names signing with other teams such as the Eagles...and then we ended up with Nnamdi anyhow. Remember Brown surprised everyone in NT when he "won" a starting CB spot himself out of nowhere. Last year, remember, we went with Nnamdi instead of Cooper. Oops! Also, Baalke already signed 13 players to future contracts and even Spillman can play CB if needed.

Now let's look at the starters and depth:
T. Brock - Signed and secure and for the first time in his career, will be preparing for a full season as a starter!
C.Culliver - Baalke wanted him to start TWO years ago. What does that tell you? Baalke is already working on a contract extension as we speak.
E. Wright - Knows this defense now and for the first time, willl have a full offseason and a real shot at earning a #2 or #3 spot = motivated.
D. Morris - The dude got better and better through college and even beat out Cooper for a final spot. Year 2, like the others, will be their year to "lock down" their roles.
A. Bethea C. Dahl R. Ventrone - Anyone worried here?
E. Reid C. Spillman - Or here?

We only kept 7 CB's last year and 4 spots are already guaranteed for 2014! In 2013, 3 CB's were on I.R. or NFI to start the year so really, we only started the year with 4 total CB's.

2013:
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock; Chris Culliver, Eric Wright & Nnamdi Asomugha (I.R. & NFI)
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Raymond Ventrone

We will add another blue-chip CB on the outside and another slot CB in the draft and possibly another "meh" FA or two for competition closer to the draft.

Just learn from our FO's pattern of success and be patient. Watch "the plan" unfold.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Rehabbing Culliver in line for a starting job with 49ers

He looks real good, and he is working awfully hard, Baalke said. He is at the facility every day and doing extra, and really doing a nice job. He has matured a lot, both on the field and off the field, and it is fun to watch.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/rehabbing-culliver-line-starting-job-49ers
[ Edited by buck on Mar 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice post and it's a fair concern. But check this out:

04/25/2013 The 49ers have selected S Eric Reid pick No. 18 in the 2013 NFL Draft.
04/15/2013 The 49ers have signed CB Tramaine Brock to a one-year contract.
04/03/2013 The 49ers have signed CB Nnamdi Asomugha to a one-year contract.
03/21/2013 The 49ers have signed S Darcel McBath to a one-year contract.
03/16/2013 The 49ers have signed S Craig Dahl to a three-year contract.

Catch my drift? Many of the moves were made within a month of the draft last year and we had few holes there...and quickly solidified the "hole" in the draft. This year, CB & S will be a top priority.

Now how big was that "meh" Brock signing 10 days before the draft? Cox was the same way. Whitner and Rogers were "meh" signings at best esp. with Nnamdi and other big names signing with other teams such as the Eagles...and then we ended up with Nnamdi anyhow. Remember Brown surprised everyone in NT when he "won" a starting CB spot himself out of nowhere. Last year, remember, we went with Nnamdi instead of Cooper. Oops! Also, Baalke already signed 13 players to future contracts and even Spillman can play CB if needed.

Now let's look at the starters and depth:
T. Brock - Signed and secure and for the first time in his career, will be preparing for a full season as a starter!
C.Culliver - Baalke wanted him to start TWO years ago. What does that tell you? Baalke is already working on a contract extension as we speak.
E. Wright - Knows this defense now and for the first time, willl have a full offseason and a real shot at earning a #2 or #3 spot = motivated.
D. Morris - The dude got better and better through college and even beat out Cooper for a final spot. Year 2, like the others, will be their year to "lock down" their roles.
A. Bethea C. Dahl R. Ventrone - Anyone worried here?
E. Reid C. Spillman - Or here?

We only kept 7 CB's last year and 4 spots are already guaranteed for 2014! In 2013, 3 CB's were on I.R. or NFI to start the year so really, we only started the year with 4 total CB's.

2013:
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock; Chris Culliver, Eric Wright & Nnamdi Asomugha (I.R. & NFI)
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Raymond Ventrone

We will add another blue-chip CB on the outside and another slot CB in the draft and possibly another "meh" FA or two for competition closer to the draft.

Just learn from our FO's pattern of success and be patient. Watch "the plan" unfold.

I like it and I'm with you - I trust our FO and they've had the history over these past three+ years to back it up. It's only Mar. 17 in the offseason...what we have in place right now at CB is already better than what a lot of other teams have. Once the draft rolls around (May 8 can't get here soon enough), I know we'll have added one or two quality rookie CBs and hopefully we'll be talking about an upgraded CB situation once we get to Sept.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Culliver was our second best cornerback in the 2012 regular season.

In 2013, Tramaine Brock was our best cornerback and Eric Wright was third.

Well, according PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2013&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=0&numgames=1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2012&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=0&numgames=1
Share 49ersWebzone