2014 CB depth chart

Originally posted by SteveYoung:

1. Tramaine Brock
2. Chris Culliver
3. Jason Verrett
4. Eric Wright
5. Chris Cook
6. Darryl Morris

I like Verrett a lot but adding him goes against the front office's length philosophy doesn't it? As it sits right now Culliver is the only CB on the roster that's even sniffing 6' and I question if he's really even that tall. And no Chris Cook does not count. He's been nothing more than terrible thus far and I think the 49ers coaches will have their work cut out for them just to make cook worthy of the last CB spot on the roster.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by LVJay:
A future lock-down CB awaits us in the draft....

yea but even when super talented future stud CB get drafted they usually aren't very good their first year u know...I mean they could start out as studs but I think it is hard for CBs to translate to the NFL. We need someone a corner to show results now because we are in SB or bust mode still

I still do want a cornerback in the draft though who shows shutdown potential even if they don't catch on til their 2nd or 3rd year

Im looking at kyle fuller and McGill

It will be nice if we go Safety, CB and WR within the first three picks. Each one of those may or may not be ready on day one, but I'm hoping they'll make nice contributions and eventually become starters.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by 707Niners:
1. Chris Culliver
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Walter Thurmond
4. Eric Wright
5. Chris Cook
6. Darryl Morris

I think the Niners sign Thurmond when he visits, he still young and has a lot of potential, and there is some good depth here with three young talented corners in Culliver, Brock and Thurmond

1. Tramaine Brock
2. Chris Culliver
3. Jason Verrett
4. Eric Wright
5. Chris Cook
6. Darryl Morris

Agreed Brock has proved he is the best cover corner we have thus far, then Cully, unfortunately he has trouble locating the ball in the air. I absolutely love the Verrett pick, he can play both inside and outside however he can be inserted in the slot for now and if Cully hasnt fully recovered from injury or still has issues locating the ball. Morris is intriguing however he hasnt played much so hopefully he can become a feel good Tramaine Brock story. I get that everyone wants a big corner but size doesnt necessarily mean they can play press coverage, plus our issue in the secondary is speed, once Brock came in he was able to gamble more because of his speed. I believe we need the best cover corner no matter the size.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You may be right about that after seeing Maiocco report.

Brock
Culliver
Wright
Morris
Cook
Thurmond???
Draft pick
Draft pick

One or two of them might be gone. I'd like to see one of them moved to Safety, either Cook or Culliver.

We aren't moving any cornerbacks to safety. Cooks is a press corner who gets lost in zone coverage. Why the hell would we move him to safety? Cully mirrors routes well, but can struggle to play the ball properly once it's in the air. Why would that make him a better safety than corner.

We lost one safety and three corners. We signed one safety and 2 corners. Why are we looking to turn corners into safeties? We will almost certainly draft one of each (maybe 2 corners).

Well for one, Culliver was a Safety first in college before making the transition to CB his Senior year, it's not that crazy of an idea. As for Cook, I think he would fill in nicely at SS in the 9ers defense, he definitely has the range for the position, being lost in Zone coverages can be coached or do you not think the 9ers do that sort of thing there.......coach?? I mean they have a lot of time to transition him, OTA's, mini-camps, TC and Preseason, you act like he's gonna start and be in a game tomorrow at Safety.

Baalke openly laughs at the idea of switching Culliver to safety. Everyone knows he was a safety in college before he switched to CB, but he's never taken a rep there as a 49er. I don't think that's an accident. Maybe his college coaches took awhile to notice something the 49ers got right away.

Cooks has been in the NFL for 4 years, he's never intercepted a pass, and he still struggles in zone coverage. That might be more than a coaching issue.
Well for one, Culliver was a Safety first in college before making the transition to CB his Senior year, it's not that crazy of an idea. As for Cook, I think he would fill in nicely at SS in the 9ers defense, he definitely has the range for the position, being lost in Zone coverages can be coached or do you not think the 9ers do that sort of thing there.......coach?? I mean they have a lot of time to transition him, OTA's, mini-camps, TC and Preseason, you act like he's gonna start and be in a game tomorrow at Safety.

This isn't madden. You don't take someone who's already been coached up to play corner to go back to safety again in the NFL.

fail
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
You may be right about that after seeing Maiocco report.

Brock
Culliver
Wright
Morris
Cook
Thurmond???
Draft pick
Draft pick

One or two of them might be gone. I'd like to see one of them moved to Safety, either Cook or Culliver.

We aren't moving any cornerbacks to safety. Cooks is a press corner who gets lost in zone coverage. Why the hell would we move him to safety? Cully mirrors routes well, but can struggle to play the ball properly once it's in the air. Why would that make him a better safety than corner.

We lost one safety and three corners. We signed one safety and 2 corners. Why are we looking to turn corners into safeties? We will almost certainly draft one of each (maybe 2 corners).

Baalke openly laughs at the idea of switching Culliver to safety. Everyone knows he was a safety in college before he switched to CB, but he's never taken a rep there as a 49er. I don't think that's an accident. Maybe his college coaches took awhile to notice something the 49ers got right away.

Cooks has been in the NFL for 4 years, he's never intercepted a pass, and he still struggles in zone coverage. That might be more than a coaching issue.

Oh I'm sorry, did you talk to Baalke and did he openly laugh? Some of you people and your sarcasm is ridiculous and see it all the time, what are you 12.
Not taking a snap as a safety in the NFL as absolutely nothing to do with being able to play it at the next level or do you know that already and it can't be done. Go ask Ronnie Lott about that.

As for Cook, tell me how he struggles in Zone coverage, what is it that he's reading wrong, does he move to early before the snap count, does he react to late in his zone, does he fail to diagnose plays in zone.....WHAT IS IT THAT HE STRUGGLES WITH IN ZONE?!?!?!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by defenderDX:

This isn't madden. You don't take someone who's already been coached up to play corner to go back to safety again in the NFL.

fail

You can't even do that in Madden it drops their rating.

Sorry if I failed you, oh wait IDGAF!!!

fail

You can.

Hey, let's move Clements to SS!! Remember that?

FAIL.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
You can.

FAIL.

then lets have him return punts.. yes so many good things happen when you switch positions, unless you are bruce miller
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

fail

You can.

FAIL.

Like I said it drops their rating, but save that Madden stuff for another thread/board.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Anyway it was just my opinion on position switching no need to start hissy fits.....unreal.

fail

You can.

FAIL.

Like I said it drops their rating, but save that Madden stuff for another thread/board.

not if you change their position lol. But yes I agree, you should be in a board regarding madden based off your logic.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Thurmond's gone. He was overrated anyway. The whole Seattle secondary minus Earl Thomas is overrated. 85% scheme
Why would Cully move to safety? Reid and Bathea have those two spots locked down. The team needs CBs and Cully is good at that. I never saw Cook play deep zone. MIN either ran tampa2, in which case Cook played the flats (short to intermediate zone) or it was press man. One thing that shows up on film is his poor ability to play the ball when it's in the air. The short segment on NFL Network was just a snippet of his problems playing the ball.

I suppose things are different when facing the play as a safety, as opposed to having his back to the ball as a CB, but you don't just move bad CBs to safety because they don't work out as a CB. Locating the ball, play recognition, and angles come to the forefront as a safety and there is no evidence that Cook can do those things, much less learn it within 4 months. He can tackle though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by thl408:
Why would Cully move to safety? Reid and Bathea have those two spots locked down. The team needs CBs and Cully is good at that. I never saw Cook play deep zone. MIN either ran tampa2, in which case Cook played the flats (short to intermediate zone) or it was press man. One thing that shows up on film is his poor ability to play the ball when it's in the air. The short segment on NFL Network was just a snippet of his problems playing the ball.

I suppose things are different when facing the play as a safety, as opposed to having his back to the ball as a CB, but you don't just move bad CBs to safety because they don't work out as a CB. Locating the ball, play recognition, and angles come to the forefront as a safety and there is no evidence that Cook can do those things, much less learn it within 4 months. He can tackle though.

Due to injury of course, but it was just a suggestion, you people act like I'm on the phone with Harbaugh or something.

As for the things about Cook, HOW do you know these things....WHAT FILM do you speak of....show us??