There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 CB depth chart

If this ends up being the final depth chart, it wouldn't be horrible, though I can't imagine we wouldnt use a high draft pick on a CB
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't see Thurmond being signed now that Cook is. The draft is where the 9ers will find their true starter in the draft.

IMO Cook doesn't effect the FA or Draft plans at all. He's just a potential reclamation project, plus he's an outside CB not a slot guy like Thurmond. The slot is tough to cover and I doubt the coaching staff wants a rookie playing that role unless they think Brock can handle it.

You may be right about that after seeing Maiocco report.

Brock
Culliver
Wright
Morris
Cook
Thurmond???
Draft pick
Draft pick

One or two of them might be gone. I'd like to see one of them moved to Safety, either Cook or Culliver.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I don't see Thurmond being signed now that Cook is. The draft is where the 9ers will find their true starter in the draft.

IMO Cook doesn't effect the FA or Draft plans at all. He's just a potential reclamation project, plus he's an outside CB not a slot guy like Thurmond. The slot is tough to cover and I doubt the coaching staff wants a rookie playing that role unless they think Brock can handle it.

Brock
Culliver
Wright
Morris
Cook
Thurmond???
Draft pick
Draft pick

One or two of them might be gone. I'd like to see one of them moved to Safety, either Cook or Culliver.

cook would be an interesting move to safety. i doubt culliver gets moved tho
Originally posted by 49ers808:

This

I'm guessing he got a vet minimum (w/vet credit) and no/very little guaranteed $$. I don't see him affecting any plans (FA or Draft), and he will need to prove he can play to even make the team. We signed Wright for vet min, and he's had much more success in the league.

Brock
Culliver
Wright
Morris
Cook
Thurmond???
Draft pick
Draft pick

We aren't moving any cornerbacks to safety. Cooks is a press corner who gets lost in zone coverage. Why the hell would we move him to safety? Cully mirrors routes well, but can struggle to play the ball properly once it's in the air. Why would that make him a better safety than corner.

We lost one safety and three corners. We signed one safety and 2 corners. Why are we looking to turn corners into safeties? We will almost certainly draft one of each (maybe 2 corners).
We lost 3 players in the secondary but Whitner was replaced. Announcing your name change to "Hitner" probably didn't help him avoid any flags from the refs either.

Rogers was slipping and should probably retire.

T Brown is an interesting case. I am surprised he took a 1 yr deal with the Raiders. If he was willing to sign a 1 yr deal and the 49ers didn't want to offer him one I have to believe they have a plan they think will be even better. They have done a great job of building this team so I have faith.
Clearly the personnel department identified the secondary as our weak link and is adjusting accordingly. Hopefully they like the young talent thats already on the roster in Cully and Brock. Obviously Reid is a stud, and our other safety position is solid. I would like to see us land a true shut down corner, but those are very few.
Culliver and Brock on the outside Jason Verrett in the slot would be perfect just throwing that out there.
I wonder if there's any chance we wind up bringing back Rogers if he doesn't get any other deal to his liking - a la Goldson in 2011. I'm sure we'd be willing to give him something like a 1-yr/$2M deal or something along those lines, and if he can't do better elsewhere, why not return to a contender where he's obviously got familiarity? I don't want a rookie covering the slot on 70% of snaps and the coaching staff seems to not be totally sold on Wright's ability to do so as well. Let Wright be the backup nickel and hopefully we can pick Rogers back up off the street on a real team-friendly deal.
I think it's Brock and Culliver on the outside..slot right now would be Wright and backed up by Cook. If we go say Verrett in the draft he will likely end up our slot CB and Wright would back him up/back up the outside guys. Cook they told him to work on his press and sounds like he will be a slot guy. Morris is probably better suited for the slot as well.

What it looks like now IMO:
............Brock...................Wright...............Culliver
............Wright...................Cook.................Cook
....................................... Morris.......................

What it could look like:
............Brock...................Verrett/Fuller............Culliver
............Wright..................Wright.....................Cook
....................................... Cook.......................
........................................Morris.....................

It's really hard to say because Cook and Wright, even Morris can probably play inside or outside. 1 could be 2nd string LCB, 3rd string slot and 4th string RCB. Like with Morris he wouldn't just be 4th string slot and ST, he would probably be 4th string CB on one or both of the sides as well. We just don't know how they want them to line up so that's my best guess.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM ]
Wow, we have such a great coaching staff that I trust what they do in our secondary. Rock on, they know when to move on and when to keep a player
Originally posted by 707Niners:
1. Chris Culliver
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Walter Thurmond
4. Eric Wright
5. Chris Cook
6. Darryl Morris

I think the Niners sign Thurmond when he visits, he still young and has a lot of potential, and there is some good depth here with three young talented corners in Culliver, Brock and Thurmond

1. Tramaine Brock
2. Chris Culliver
3. Jason Verrett
4. Eric Wright
5. Chris Cook
6. Darryl Morris
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Brock
Culliver
Wright
Morris
Cook
Thurmond???
Draft pick
Draft pick

We aren't moving any cornerbacks to safety. Cooks is a press corner who gets lost in zone coverage. Why the hell would we move him to safety? Cully mirrors routes well, but can struggle to play the ball properly once it's in the air. Why would that make him a better safety than corner.

We lost one safety and three corners. We signed one safety and 2 corners. Why are we looking to turn corners into safeties? We will almost certainly draft one of each (maybe 2 corners).

Well for one, Culliver was a Safety first in college before making the transition to CB his Senior year, it's not that crazy of an idea. As for Cook, I think he would fill in nicely at SS in the 9ers defense, he definitely has the range for the position, being lost in Zone coverages can be coached or do you not think the 9ers do that sort of thing there.......coach?? I mean they have a lot of time to transition him, OTA's, mini-camps, TC and Preseason, you act like he's gonna start and be in a game tomorrow at Safety.
As it stands now the likely ranking would be:

1. Chris Culliver
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Eric Wright
4. Darryl Morris
5. Chris Cook
6. Rookie

This coaching staff rarely starts rookies over seasoned vets. If they pick up a first rate veteran CB it would be a phenominal move...but would that skew the cap balance toward the position? As it stands, the position is likely very cut rate compared to other winning teams.

Then the Safety position:

Reid is a bargain for his ability, Bethea saved money, Spillman and Dahl are inexpensive...wow! This defensive backfield could be a real bargain for a few years.

Now they can bring in some rookies over the next few years to compete and take over to keep costs down as they try to sign Kaepernick and other more expensive guys.
Thurmond could still be in the mix. he canceled a trip to DC