There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 CB depth chart

1. Chris Culliver
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Walter Thurmond
4. Eric Wright
5. Chris Cook
6. Darryl Morris




I think the Niners sign Thurmond when he visits, he still young and has a lot of potential, and there is some good depth here with three young talented corners in Culliver, Brock and Thurmond
That's looks pretty solid, and we haven't even gotten to the draft yet. No doubt we're taking a corner in round 1 or 2 IMO, even if we sign Thurmond.

I'd also put Morris ahead of Cook. He gets the edge on gamedays because of special teams ability.
Need to see how good Cully is coming back. Dropping 3 starters from the secondary is very risky.
Originally posted by 707Niners:
1. Chris Culliver
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Walter Thurmond
4. Eric Wright
5. Chris Cook
6. Darryl Morris




I think the Niners sign Thurmond when he visits, he still young and has a lot of potential, and there is some good depth here with three young talented corners in Culliver, Brock and Thurmond

Yeah, Brock would be backed up by Wright and Culliver would be back up by Cook (all outisde CB's). Thurmond and Morris would compete inside at the slot/nickle/dime. That's not bad at all really. Even if Thurmond doesn't come in, I'm sure Baalke isn't done yet...and no doubt we'll add at least one blue-chip CB to the mix and probably another slot CB as well; we'll also add another FS/SS who can probably play CB as well. And the good news is that Morris got some snaps last year so I'm curious to see how his development goes. CB Dax Swanson & SS D.J. Campbell were also signed to future contracts as well. I believe both D.J. Campbell & C.J. Spillman have played some CB as well (if needed in a pinch).
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Need to see how good Cully is coming back. Dropping 3 starters from the secondary is very risky.

Feel the same way
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,440
I don't see Thurmond being signed now that Cook is. The draft is where the 9ers will find their true starter in the draft.
not even done with FA and there's a thread about a depth chart. wake me up after training camp.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Need to see how good Cully is coming back. Dropping 3 starters from the secondary is very risky.

they were all average to slightly above average anyways. Brown definitely earned everything he got. and good thing Brock unlocked his hidden potential!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,082
A future lock-down CB awaits us in the draft....
Morris is gonna be a BAD ASS
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't see Thurmond being signed now that Cook is. The draft is where the 9ers will find their true starter in the draft.

IMO Cook doesn't effect the FA or Draft plans at all. He's just a potential reclamation project, plus he's an outside CB not a slot guy like Thurmond. The slot is tough to cover and I doubt the coaching staff wants a rookie playing that role unless they think Brock can handle it.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't see Thurmond being signed now that Cook is. The draft is where the 9ers will find their true starter in the draft.

This
i really wish we just went with Thurmond. our two slot corners would be Thurmond (starter) and Wright (backup,spelling Thurmond). Our starting outside corners would be Brock and Culliver(had a lot of time to recover, I think he comes back strong) with cook and a high draft pick as their backups. So that leaves morris to fight for a spot against cook and wright. Also I think a late round draft pick will be thrown into the mix. Baalke is planning for one hell of a competition at CB and chances are the CBs who don't make it will be swooped up quickly by other teams and added to their 53.
Originally posted by LVJay:
A future lock-down CB awaits us in the draft....


yea but even when super talented future stud CB get drafted they usually aren't very good their first year u know...I mean they could start out as studs but I think it is hard for CBs to translate to the NFL. We need someone a corner to show results now because we are in SB or bust mode still

I still do want a cornerback in the draft though who shows shutdown potential even if they don't catch on til their 2nd or 3rd year

Im looking at kyle fuller and McGill
Originally posted by SofaKing:
That's looks pretty solid, and we haven't even gotten to the draft yet. No doubt we're taking a corner in round 1 or 2 IMO,

Even if we dont like the corner talent available, given what our 1st & 2nd rd. pick value should be set at?
[ Edited by random49er on Mar 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM ]