LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 170 users in the forums

49ers released Chris Cook *Updated*

damn
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Well it's not like teams are lining up to sign Bubba, he sucks lol. Don't know if it's just me but he ain't nospecial teams ace to me, I haven't seen him do s**t

This.

Not this season so far.

Daryll Morris is gone Ventrone keeps popping up
Well that sucks about Cook. He was actually more of an asset than a liability. Why is this team so f***ing cursed with the injury bug to good role players
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Well that sucks about Cook. He was actually more of an asset than a liability. Why is this team so f***ing cursed with the injury bug to good role players

probably because we've been fortunate for the last 4-5 years.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by SaksV:
I can't fathom a player going on IR because of an injured hamstring unless it is torn.... I'm not sure that's the case but I trust the coaching staff knows what they're doing. Having as many healthy DBs going into the playoffs as we can is going to be huge though....

It's either a serious injury (hamstring) or a roster move to free up space for Aldon or Lattimore to come back. I'm betting it's a roster move.

Maybe if they feel good about Johnson and Acker.

Johnson did well recently - good point, and I don't know much about Acker - and I think Acker is IR'ed and can't come back. Somebody correct me if I'm worng. It still smells of a roster move.

i dont think acker was on season ending IR and i dont remember him having a serious injury...i was assuming that we put him on there to stash for the second part of the season
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i dont think acker was on season ending IR and i dont remember him having a serious injury...i was assuming that we put him on there to stash for the second part of the season

Kenneth Acker is currently on IR. Once a player is put on IR he is not eligible to return to the 53 man roster for the remainder of the season.

The only exception is injured reserve / designated to return.

Here are the rules

During each season a club will be permitted to return one player from the Reserve/Injured List to its 53-player Active/Inactive List. Such player must have suffered a major football-related injury (defined as an injury that renders the player physically unable to practice or play football for a period of at least six weeks [42 calendar days] from the date that the injury occurred) after reporting to training camp and must have been placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday after the final roster reduction. A player who is eligible to return must be noted as "Designated for Return" at the time the player is placed on Reserve.

Glenn Dorsey is currently on injured reserve / designated to return.
Originally posted by cjsmoove:

probably because we've been fortunate for the last 4-5 years.

Niners have been screwed by more than a reasonable amount of injuries the past 2 seasons. 2012 - Manningham, Hunter, Kyle Williams, the Smith Bros on defense even though they played through it and a couple other injuries here & there. 2013 - Crab, Culliver, Ian Williams, Pat and Vernon missing a few games, Miller out of the playoffs, Justin Smith playing injured again most of the season. Oh yeah and Kap playing through a foot injury part of the season.
Bad break for Cook. Hope he can heal up & be prepared next year.
Originally posted by tohara3:

If he's re-signed for camp, he'll be in for a tough competition with some very talented semi-rookies in Reaser/Acker who will be 2nd year guys next year, plus any draft picks we use on the position.

If I recall, Culliver's deal expires too after this season, so we could be looking at this being our TC roster at corner if he and Cook are not back:

Brock
Cox
Dontae Johnson
Ward
Reaser
Acker

And any other corners we draft.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
yep,, he was no all pro but he sure was not the trash that so many people breathlessly predicted he would be as they cherry picked videos of him sucking as a vike before he ever put on our uniform. he did more for us in a short body of work then he ever did as a viking, he was also a player who was in trouble before but was a model player and person when he came to us. maybe the team can sign him next year for competition. i think he sure did earn some points with the coaches and his team mates this year

• cciowa
  • Veteran
no one is cursed,, that is just the way it is
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
yep,, he was no all pro but he sure was not the trash that so many people breathlessly predicted he would be as they cherry picked videos of him sucking as a vike before he ever put on our uniform. he did more for us in a short body of work then he ever did as a viking, he was also a player who was in trouble before but was a model player and person when he came to us. maybe the team can sign him next year for competition. i think he sure did earn some points with the coaches and his team mates this year

I agree. He should be signed for camp competition. Just too bad for the kid. We really need the depth he gives us. Now some of our youngsters will be given the chance to shine.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

I agree. He should be signed for camp competition. Just too bad for the kid. We really need the depth he gives us. Now some of our youngsters will be given the chance to shine.
wow,, i can not believe there is not a clammer for us to trade a player to oakland and bring back brown or rogers. you know when we are down a man, the first thing so many do around here is to scream for us to get a x niner who is a x niner for a reason hope ward stays injury free now
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

If he's re-signed for camp, he'll be in for a tough competition with some very talented semi-rookies in Reaser/Acker who will be 2nd year guys next year, plus any draft picks we use on the position.

If I recall, Culliver's deal expires too after this season, so we could be looking at this being our TC roster at corner if he and Cook are not back:

Brock
Cox
Dontae Johnson
Ward
Reaser
Acker

And any other corners we draft.

I agree but I'm wondering about this year. Right now we only have Brock, Culliver, Cox, Ward, Johnson (and Ward can't play outside, just a slot CB/S) so I'm wondering if the team will/should sign a CB to join the team the rest of the way. Do we have a CB on the PS right now?
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Regarding Chris Cook, it's a torn hamstring. !@#$!$#!@#$!@#$!@#$

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article3369636.html

That's what I was thinking....I couldn't see it being a straight up roster move because we are way too shaky at corner to be putting guys on IR for boo-boos just to free up space ala Brandon Jacobs.
Share 49ersWebzone