LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

49ers released Chris Cook *Updated*

I know Cook isn't a sexy name, or been all dependable, but neither was Brock for the first few years, Donatell turned him around, so I think Cook can do good under Donatell.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Sounds like they are trying to beef him up to be a starter by default.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Sounds like they are trying to beef him up to be a starter by default.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great thing about Johnson is we get to mold him from Day 1. He's not tainted like Cook lol.

Good point. If Cook is to salvage his career, he will need to unlearn some things he picked up on while in MIN. If he makes himself serviceable, I will give huge credit to Donatell.

Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Strong (early) campaign by Cook in OTAs.

SANTA CLARA -- Veteran cornerback Chris Cook has been making the most of his first-string opportunities to replace Carlos Rogers, even wearing the same No. 22 jersey in the 49ers' backfield.

Cook nearly intercepted a Colin Kaepernick pass in the end zone to finish Tuesday's practice.

"I'm doing everything I can to put myself in the position to be out there with the starters, whether it being in nickel or base," Cook said.

Cook is lining up at right cornerback while Tramaine Brock is on the left side. Potential starter Chris Culliver is being limited to individual drills while he returns from a 2013 knee injury. First-round draft pick Jimmie Ward is also being kept out of team activity while he recovers from March foot surgery.

Cook played his previous four seasons with the Minnesota Vikings before signing a one-year deal with the 49ers.

"I like this defense a lot and feel it fits my style of play," Cook said. "I like to man up, and a lot of things we do ends up being man coverage."

Coach Jim Harbaugh called Cook an ascending player, adding: "He's showing up and making plays. He's getting his hands on the ball, he's made interceptions and he's done a good job."

Cook credited his coaches with enhancing his development in the 49ers' scheme.

"The coaches here really take care of players, especially (secondary coach Ed) Donatell, who puts in a lot of extra time with me working on my craft, and I appreciate it a lot."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_25938071/49ers-chris-cook-gets-first-team-reps-at

"I like this defense a lot and feel it fits my style of play," Cook said. "I like to man up, and a lot of things we do ends up being man coverage."

^^ That sounds like he's referencing the pattern matching schemes that the 49ers use as it starts off as zone, then ends up being man coverage.

It looks as though Brock will take the LCB spot which is more likely to face opposing #1 WRs. Cully had that spot being the nickel CB as Rogers went to the slot (in 2012). I thought there was a chance Cully would stay at LCB. This speaks volumes to what the coaches think of Brock.

Absolutely th! This is good news on many levels...not just with the scheme and flexibility but now we've heard good reports by both Cook and Johnson and all this before Culliver is fully integrated. And like you said, this says a ton about how the coaches feel about Brock as well. I'm expecting many more PD's and INT's this year.

PS: And with Cook's ability to play on ST (McCray getting some good reports plus he's a returner), this is great news all around.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 11, 2014 at 7:05 AM ]
Keith Reaser sounds like a very smart kid as well...very well spoken. He could end up being a find for us later in the season/next year. Anyone have any projections of where he may have gone if not for the injury?
Dude still cant EVEN get a INT during practice, Kap sure does love him sum Cook

I think Cook can be good in our system. Dude has talent and just needs to be coached up. A big thing he needs to work on is his ball skills. A lot of the plays I saw him getting burned on, he was basically right there, just had no idea how to make a play on the ball.
I'm hoping for a Carlos Rogers type improvement... Over-drafted player who struggled with previous team comes here on a cheap deal and performs well. Vikings fans will gripe like the Redskin fans did.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
per Maiocco:

--The best play for the offense was on a red-zone drill when Kaepernick rolled right and found Devon Wylie, who had shaken free from Tramaine Brock's coverage, for a touchdown. Brock lined up at left cornerback, while Chris Cook was at right cornerback with the No. 1 defense.

It's still very early, but it appears Cook is currently the primary backup to Culliver at RCB. If he holds down that spot, he's more likely to make the roster than Wright or Cox imo.

Long way to go.

Both Culliver and Ward not playing.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Dude still cant EVEN get a INT during practice, Kap sure does love him sum Cook

LMAO!

soon to be renamed chris cooked
Gotta say, I wasn't a huge fan of this move initially, but I really like what I'm hearing out of camp. This could end up being one of those surprisingly solid moves if he comes into his own here.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Gotta say, I wasn't a huge fan of this move initially, but I really like what I'm hearing out of camp. This could end up being one of those surprisingly solid moves if he comes into his own here.
walt harris the second.. its always nice when you hear a guy who takes advantage of his opportunity. sometimes it does not work out for us like in the case of my man marlon moore from last year. sometimes like walt harris it does. since i was wrong,again,, in regards to eric wright being a great player for us,, hope this kid comes through as a pleasant surprise
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
walt harris the second.. its always nice when you hear a guy who takes advantage of his opportunity. sometimes it does not work out for us like in the case of my man marlon moore from last year. sometimes like walt harris it does. since i was wrong,again,, in regards to eric wright being a great player for us,, hope this kid comes through as a pleasant surprise

Don't beat yourself up too much about that guy. He's proved everyone, from college to the 49ers, wrong. He couldn't get out of the way of his talent, and now, is going to figure out that the real world doesn't care about how much talent you have, it cares about how often you show up for work.

Wright disappointed a LOT of people throughout his career.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

CC,
The idea is that we take a few low-risk fliers per year, and hope that one or two hit. Walt Harris is a great example. Or Carlos Rodgers or Perrish Cox or Nmamdi Asumogha...

You win some, you lose some... I like what I'm hearing from him. I remember when he was drafted by the Vikings, I thought to myself... 'Over-drafted', but for vet-min... Ill take it!
Share 49ersWebzone