There are 152 users in the forums

49ers released Chris Cook *Updated*

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I understand the concern but Cook has great size and athletic potential. What matters to us is what he can or can't do under Donatell

Exactly!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Uggh I hope not.

I would rather have Wright than Cook. Cook was TORCHED last year several times. Its funny watching the NFL Networks TOP 100 Cook is in it several times.. getting burned.

Yeah, Cook sucked ass last year. He showed some serious potential in 2011, before injuries and some legal issues threw him off course.

I'll be rooting for him, because if he does make the team it will be well earned, not handed to him. He has a lot of talent.

Hoping a new team and Donatell can turn it around for him. Athletically, you won't find many guys with his size/speed at the position.

very true. dont get me wrong, i would love him to improve and hit his potential. but that seems to be the big word with all of our CBs... POTENTIAL. Thats a scary thing. Im really surprised we havent brought in a FA Vet to compete. Like a Quentin Jammer/Drayton Florence/Terrel Thomas/Jabari Greer.
very true. dont get me wrong, i would love him to improve and hit his potential. but that seems to be the big word with all of our CBs... POTENTIAL. Thats a scary thing. Im really surprised we havent brought in a FA Vet to compete. Like a Quentin Jammer/Drayton Florence/Terrel Thomas/Jabari Greer.

I hear ya man. The CB core has the potential to be great, but also the potential to be a disaster. The only "proven" guy is Brock and he only has a handful of games as a starting corner. Culliver is a question mark coming back from injury, and last time we saw him in the SB he was horrible, but looked great before then.

BUT, I do have great confidence in Fangio and Donatell. I'd be more worried if they weren't around. They have a knack for being able to plug in players in the secondary and get good production.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I understand the concern but Cook has great size and athletic potential. What matters to us is what he can or can't do under Donatell

Exactly!

I agree. This staff has shown an ability to bring in FA's that are viewed as busts or run of the mill players, fit them into the system and turn them into quality contributors. I will reserve my judgement until i see how he plays in the red n gold.

I hear ya man. The CB core has the potential to be great, but also the potential to be a disaster. The only "proven" guy is Brock and he only has a handful of games as a starting corner. Culliver is a question mark coming back from injury, and last time we saw him in the SB he was horrible, but looked great before then.

BUT, I do have great confidence in Fangio and Donatell. I'd be more worried if they weren't around. They have a knack for being able to plug in players in the secondary and get good production.
For sure. I need to have more faith in the brass. I do think that Dontae Johnson might be a stud!
For sure. I need to have more faith in the brass. I do think that Dontae Johnson might be a stud!

Great thing about Johnson is we get to mold him from Day 1. He's not tainted like Cook lol.
TBH when it comes to developing players on the defensive side of the ball I don't even question whats going on. The 49ers have the best top to bottom defensive staff in the NFL and it's not really that close. Tomsula is an amazing coach and someone I hope the Niners commit to long term. I think he can coordinate in the NFL, but will make a better head coach. Dontatell is a stud and should be coordinating a defense somewhere in the NFL. Leavitt is a guy I knew nothing about before coming to SF. He appears to be very good as well.

Wish our offensive coaching staff could pick up their game.
Uggh I hope not.

I would rather have Wright than Cook. Cook was TORCHED last year several times. Its funny watching the NFL Networks TOP 100 Cook is in it several times.. getting burned.

I hope the best CB earns the spot.

What happened last year is last year. Both guys are getting a fresh start and the opportunity to come in and compete for a spot.

Cook had a rough year and since being drafted, he hasn't lived up to potential for a variety of reasons (injuries, off field trouble/legal issues, scheme/bad Vikings defense all around).

New scenery and being coached up by Donatell could be a positive outlook for him. And if the speculation that we could expect to see more press coverage incorporated into our scheme proves to be true, I can definitely why they're interested in him. His size, speed, and overall athleticism is ideal of a press CB. Just gotta strengthen the mental part of the game (coverage, instincts, diagnosing plays, locating the ball, etc).
Originally posted by WINiner:
TBH when it comes to developing players on the defensive side of the ball I don't even question whats going on. The 49ers have the best top to bottom defensive staff in the NFL and it's not really that close. Tomsula is an amazing coach and someone I hope the Niners commit to long term. I think he can coordinate in the NFL, but will make a better head coach. Dontatell is a stud and should be coordinating a defense somewhere in the NFL. Leavitt is a guy I knew nothing about before coming to SF. He appears to be very good as well.

Wish our offensive coaching staff could pick up their game.

That's a really good point. The player development on defense has been outstanding. Far better than the offense, where we've had trouble developing young, skill position players. Hope that changes soon.
Strong (early) campaign by Cook in OTAs.

SANTA CLARA -- Veteran cornerback Chris Cook has been making the most of his first-string opportunities to replace Carlos Rogers, even wearing the same No. 22 jersey in the 49ers' backfield.

Cook nearly intercepted a Colin Kaepernick pass in the end zone to finish Tuesday's practice.

"I'm doing everything I can to put myself in the position to be out there with the starters, whether it being in nickel or base," Cook said.

Cook is lining up at right cornerback while Tramaine Brock is on the left side. Potential starter Chris Culliver is being limited to individual drills while he returns from a 2013 knee injury. First-round draft pick Jimmie Ward is also being kept out of team activity while he recovers from March foot surgery.

Cook played his previous four seasons with the Minnesota Vikings before signing a one-year deal with the 49ers.

"I like this defense a lot and feel it fits my style of play," Cook said. "I like to man up, and a lot of things we do ends up being man coverage."

Coach Jim Harbaugh called Cook an ascending player, adding: "He's showing up and making plays. He's getting his hands on the ball, he's made interceptions and he's done a good job."

Cook credited his coaches with enhancing his development in the 49ers' scheme.

"The coaches here really take care of players, especially (secondary coach Ed) Donatell, who puts in a lot of extra time with me working on my craft, and I appreciate it a lot."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_25938071/49ers-chris-cook-gets-first-team-reps-at
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Jun 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
Chris Cook can also contribute on special teams.

Last year, Cook played 19.7% of Minnesota's special snaps.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

SANTA CLARA -- Veteran cornerback Chris Cook has been making the most of his first-string opportunities to replace Carlos Rogers, even wearing the same No. 22 jersey in the 49ers' backfield.

Cook nearly intercepted a Colin Kaepernick pass in the end zone to finish Tuesday's practice.

"I'm doing everything I can to put myself in the position to be out there with the starters, whether it being in nickel or base," Cook said.

Cook is lining up at right cornerback while Tramaine Brock is on the left side. Potential starter Chris Culliver is being limited to individual drills while he returns from a 2013 knee injury. First-round draft pick Jimmie Ward is also being kept out of team activity while he recovers from March foot surgery.

Cook played his previous four seasons with the Minnesota Vikings before signing a one-year deal with the 49ers.

"I like this defense a lot and feel it fits my style of play," Cook said. "I like to man up, and a lot of things we do ends up being man coverage."

Coach Jim Harbaugh called Cook an ascending player, adding: "He's showing up and making plays. He's getting his hands on the ball, he's made interceptions and he's done a good job."

"The coaches here really take care of players, especially (secondary coach Ed) Donatell, who puts in a lot of extra time with me working on my craft, and I appreciate it a lot."

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_25938071/49ers-chris-cook-gets-first-team-reps-at

See that Donatell is at it again but now with Cook. Watch him turn this guy into a serious asset for the Niners.
  • thl408
Great thing about Johnson is we get to mold him from Day 1. He's not tainted like Cook lol.

Good point. If Cook is to salvage his career, he will need to unlearn some things he picked up on while in MIN. If he makes himself serviceable, I will give huge credit to Donatell.

Originally posted by NeonNiner:

^^ That sounds like he's referencing the pattern matching schemes that the 49ers use as it starts off as zone, then ends up being man coverage.

It looks as though Brock will take the LCB spot which is more likely to face opposing #1 WRs. Cully had that spot being the nickel CB as Rogers went to the slot (in 2012). I thought there was a chance Cully would stay at LCB. This speaks volumes to what the coaches think of Brock.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If he doesn't pan out (I kinda want him to do good, btw), he can become the chef he always dreamed about (Cook the cook)....
  • ethan
  • Veteran
I like Cook, I think he will be a starter this year.
Share 49ersWebzone