LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ers released Chris Cook *Updated*

Originally posted by NinerG94:
I'm willing to give the guy a chance but my expectations couldn't be any lower. Did you actually see this guy play in Minnesota? What I saw of him was terrible. I live in Vikings country and the Vikings fans that I speak to on a daily basis are all saying good riddance for a reason. Tru2RedNGold25's comment is not untrue. As it stands right now Rogers has shown to be a better all around corner than Cook. Rogers play this past season was not on par with his salary but he was better than Cook.

well we're not comparing the 2 players at the same identical salary. rogers even if he were re-signed at a reduced rate would still be at a couple of million bucks and you're still dealing with a 30+ year old cb playing in the slot. cook is a pure flier at league minimum. if he is hot trash he wont see september. between cook, wright and cox, we've assembled 3 cb's who signed for peanuts. maybe they all show up and play well in camp, maybe they dont. but it wont affect the draft, if we see a cb we're high on we'll go select him. a guy like rogers just clogs up the depth chart and makes a bit too much money.
BTW Carlos Rogers was a high first round pick and considered a very good player even from Redskins fans. The knock on Rogers coming to SF was that he couldn't catch a cold. Comparing Cook to Rogers is a terrible comparison.

you could visit any redskin forum in 2011 and nobody called him a very good player. they called him carloser. sure he was a top 10 pick, but look at that entire top 10 that year, it was hot garbage. he was a second tier bargain bin FA in 2011 after the lockout. nobody considered him a top tier player.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Carlos Rogers is STILL a stud compare to this dud

how about giving the guy a chance in a niner uniform before you run him out of town. to hate him because of what he did for another team is not logical

exactly, people need to seriously chill.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Carlos Rogers is STILL a stud compare to this dud

how about giving the guy a chance in a niner uniform before you run him out of town. to hate him because of what he did for another team is not logical

exactly, people need to seriously chill.

im not expecting much but if he is decent itll be a plus. im taking the same approach i took with baldwin. its not like we broke the bank for this guy and we'll most likely draft our starter anyway, hes gonna be a fill in guy with cully and brck starting and a new nickle CB in the draft
BTW Carlos Rogers was a high first round pick and considered a very good player even from Redskins fans. The knock on Rogers coming to SF was that he couldn't catch a cold. Comparing Cook to Rogers is a terrible comparison.

You're taking the comparison too literally. We're not saying they're the same player. They are two corners who were high draft picks, Rogers (1st rd) Cook (2nd), that were cast out of town.

Rogers was a good cover corner who became a running joke in Washington. They only regretted losing him when they saw how he could contribute in a winning environment with good coaching. He signed a cheap 1-year deal here in 2011, so it's not like he was highly thought of at the time.

I'd don't anticipate Cook being anywhere near as good as Rogers, but the opportunity he has similar.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

You're taking the comparison too literally. We're not saying they're the same player. They are two corners who were high draft picks, Rogers (1st rd) Cook (2nd), that were cast out of town.

Rogers was a good cover corner who became a running joke in Washington. They only regretted losing him when they saw how he could contribute in a winning environment with good coaching. He signed a cheap 1-year deal here in 2011, so it's not like he was highly thought of at the time.

I'd don't anticipate Cook being anywhere near as good as Rogers, but the opportunity he has similar.

walt harris was also a dude everyone thought was done and he came here and balled out and made the probowl at the end of his career. dont judge the guy til hes out on the field for us. a winning attitude and solid players around him can have a big impact on the guy
  • thl408

Nailed it. And again, to people saying this is a low risk move, it's not. Gabbert and Martin are low risk moves because they were traded for using 6th/7th rounders. Cook is a no risk move. Signed UFA, with no guaranteed money.
Originally posted by thl408:
Nailed it. And again, to people saying this is a low risk move, it's not. Gabbert and Martin are low risk moves because they were traded for using 6th/7th rounders. Cook is a no risk move. Signed UFA, with no guaranteed money.

Yup, there is no risk. We're basically taking a free flier on him. Either he realizes his potential, or we cut him loose with no cost to us. It's worth a shot.
Yup, there is no risk. We're basically taking a free flier on him. Either he realizes his potential, or we cut him loose with no cost to us. It's worth a shot.

Ok, now that the "no room for error" bug has once again hit this team and kicked this conservative philosophy in the arse once again, (Cully arrest) how does your view of this impregnable staff of geniuses being able to fix any draft pick or player look now? Are they beyond this obstacle too? There is a thin line between optimism, denial, and being unrealistic.
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:

Ok, now that the "no room for error" bug has once again hit this team and kicked this conservative philosophy in the arse once again, (Cully arrest) how does your view of this impregnable staff of geniuses being able to fix any draft pick or player look now? Are they beyond this obstacle too? There is a thin line between optimism, denial, and being unrealistic.

My view hasn't changed. CB was the biggest need we had, even more so now. My post that you quoted was strictly concerning Cook, not the CB position as a whole. Right now it sticks out like a sore thumb, and will very likely be a big point of emphasis in the draft. I'll reserve judgment until I see exactly who we have on the roster heading into training camp.

My view hasn't changed. CB was the biggest need we had, even more so now. My post that you quoted was strictly concerning Cook, not the CB position as a whole. Right now it sticks out like a sore thumb, and will very likely be a big point of emphasis in the draft. I'll reserve judgment until I see exactly who we have on the roster heading into training camp.

I just picked a random post. I was not responding to that particular post. It (the CB issue) may get ugly from here. Once again this FO's stubborn philosophy might nullify the potential of this team of gladiators and may lead to another season of "at least we made the playoffs", and "where were we before Harbaalke showed up? Then shut up and be satisfied with our 'success' you idiot". LOL these dudes.

Might agree with you if the team was consistently way below the salary cap. But since the cap is nearly maxed out each year I'm not sure what you are suggesting...do we go after the Revis' of the world and roll dice that one guy is worth three or four slightly lesser guys at other positions? Should we cut Justin Smith and spend more on...DBs?

It seems that Baalke and the staff have been excellent at stocking the team with players who play at a high level. They have had a problem with one position...WR. They haven't developed a home grown WR in ten years except for Crabtree, who came pretty much NFL ready...and with a very high pick.

As for conservative...not sure what that means. Does it mean they don't take silly risks for the heck of it? Ir does it mean they haven't signed a huge name? Like Justin Smith? What exactly have other teams done that you think will put the niners over the top?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I just picked a random post. I was not responding to that particular post. It (the CB issue) may get ugly from here. Once again this FO's stubborn philosophy might nullify the potential of this team of gladiators and may lead to another season of "at least we made the playoffs", and "where were we before Harbaalke showed up? Then shut up and be satisfied with our 'success' you idiot". LOL these dudes.

your inability to see the forest through the trees prevents you from being objective in my opinion
Cook is going to have to impress big time in camp to make the team, but he has a chance to showcase his press skills against two physical WRs in practice. Hopefully he does well and contributes to the team.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Might agree with you if the team was consistently way below the salary cap. But since the cap is nearly maxed out each year I'm not sure what you are suggesting...do we go after the Revis' of the world and roll dice that one guy is worth three or four slightly lesser guys at other positions? Should we cut Justin Smith and spend more on...DBs?

It seems that Baalke and the staff have been excellent at stocking the team with players who play at a high level. They have had a problem with one position...WR. They haven't developed a home grown WR in ten years except for Crabtree, who came pretty much NFL ready...and with a very high pick.

As for conservative...not sure what that means. Does it mean they don't take silly risks for the heck of it? Ir does it mean they haven't signed a huge name? Like Justin Smith? What exactly have other teams done that you think will put the niners over the top?

Well I will not blame your stance because you may not be fully informed on my view. My argument is based on the philosophy that this team continues to bank on, which is to gem search only and not take a proactive approach (ever) in order to make moves for that established playmaker or dynamic player that would likely put us over the hump. This is what make this FO conservative. Lets be clear on one thing, this current regime has not "stacked" anything. Our most valuable players were inherited. Now if I was suggesting that we try and make splash signings now, then it would be "taking silly risks", but my issue is this FO's tendency to strictly gem search without the consideration of trying something different for the better.

Dude do you really want me to answer this "what have other teams done" question really?
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone