There are 156 users in the forums

49ers released Chris Cook *Updated*

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Where are all the haters now? Come eat your crow!
they will resurface once he blows a coverage. they will then say how they were the sole voice of opposition in regards to keeping him

This - Big Time.

He still has a ways to go BUT as of now and what he's been through - he's been a success story.

I'm really rooting for him to step up and reach his full potential.
Originally posted by wailers15:
I'd still say the jury is out on this guy. let's see what he can do in the regular season. he has looked surprisingly good this pre season. I think he knows this may be it. I still have a hard time believing he was that bad of a CB.

when you hit rock bottom like he did, its just one step at a time and he has done that. he had to survive mini camps which he did, he had to survive pre season which he did. he, unlike some players,, took advantage of a opportunity when wright retired. so every step he takes forward is a positive thing for him and of course our team. a pleasant surprise like his story, so far, gets drowned out in the sea of negativity that surrounds our team in some quarters. You are right in that now the further he goes the tougher it will get for him but so far he has risen to the challenge and here he is on the main roster. for as much as some media people rip us for having a bunch of thugs and bad culture , a change in the uniform for people like him and cox have been very positive .. but of course those success stories do not fit into the narrative that we are thugs so it gets no airplay except on this forum

and his turnaround should speak volumes of our coaching staff. we can turn rejects into competitive monsters!!! i'll be rooting for him for sure!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I'd still say the jury is out on this guy. let's see what he can do in the regular season. he has looked surprisingly good this pre season. I think he knows this may be it. I still have a hard time believing he was that bad of a CB.

when you hit rock bottom like he did, its just one step at a time and he has done that. he had to survive mini camps which he did, he had to survive pre season which he did. he, unlike some players,, took advantage of a opportunity when wright retired. so every step he takes forward is a positive thing for him and of course our team. a pleasant surprise like his story, so far, gets drowned out in the sea of negativity that surrounds our team in some quarters. You are right in that now the further he goes the tougher it will get for him but so far he has risen to the challenge and here he is on the main roster. for as much as some media people rip us for having a bunch of thugs and bad culture , a change in the uniform for people like him and cox have been very positive .. but of course those success stories do not fit into the narrative that we are thugs so it gets no airplay except on this forum

and his turnaround should speak volumes of our coaching staff. we can turn rejects into competitive monsters!!! i'll be rooting for him for sure!!
not to mention the good players/veteran teachers around him. now i know we are a bunch of thugs but we must have some good inside of us for helping to turn around players like cox, cook, brooks etc.. again it does not fit what alot of "experts' are saying so no one cept for us know about it
He got burned a lot with the Vikings, facing Rogers, Stafford and Cutler twice a year was tough on him ...but with our front 7 and coaching staff, he has a chance to show why he was a 2nd round pick ...hopefully we use him in press coverage the majority of the time, he got torched a lot when the Vikings went zone, but then again the Vikings pass rush wasn't very intimidating and didn't do him any favors ....Donatell will get the most out of him ...rooting for Cook to make a splash
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
they will resurface once he blows a coverage. they will then say how they were the sole voice of opposition in regards to keeping him

LOL so true. It's funny to go back and reread some of the earlier posts in this thread.

This.

My first reaction:

smh.

My second reaction after I watched some tape:

Yes he was even worse. Qb´s had a passer rating of insane 140.3.

With that said. Cook was definitely no fit whatsoever in the Vikings Tampa 2 scheme. Combine that with his inability to track the ball in the air and you´ve got a problem.
While in man-to-man especially press ( which I expect to see a lot from us this season ) he often times was in pretty good position to mak a play on the ball but well you guessed it, could not track it or get his hands on it.
When Donatell somehow manages to get the best out of Cook he could be a very good FA pick up.

Low risk / high reward.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Eric Wright will beat him out guaranteed!!!!
  • thl408

I like my crow with tabasco sauce. I'm not a "hater", was more a doubter. It's not like I hoped Cook would be cut just so I can say "see, I told you so". I think he bumped Morris off the team. None of us knew how good of a CB Morris was, just that he was a good STer. It appears Cook has turned a corner and improved his biggest weakness, tracking the ball in the air. His athleticism was never in question. EXcited for what Donatell can do with a good athlete that appeared to lack proper coaching in MIN.
Originally posted by DeUh:

LOL so true. It's funny to go back and reread some of the earlier posts in this thread.

This.

My first reaction:

smh.

My second reaction after I watched some tape:

Yes he was even worse. Qb´s had a passer rating of insane 140.3.

With that said. Cook was definitely no fit whatsoever in the Vikings Tampa 2 scheme. Combine that with his inability to track the ball in the air and you´ve got a problem.
While in man-to-man especially press ( which I expect to see a lot from us this season ) he often times was in pretty good position to mak a play on the ball but well you guessed it, could not track it or get his hands on it.
When Donatell somehow manages to get the best out of Cook he could be a very good FA pick up.

Low risk / high reward.

I believe I was excited about him...saw him like I did Rogers, Brock, Cox, Cooper, Morris, etc. Baalke knows DB talent (on the CHEAP) and the fact that he went out and got a big CB, then added Johnson and Acker and Reaser...damn, I saw a shift in the philosophy. We were finally going to play some jamming press and not be outmuscled. Then I watched his tape and like you noted DeUh, he struggled tracking the ball in the air. But then something else stood out to me...he had zero S help every single time AND he was right in the hip pocket of some of the best WR's in the game downfield (who were also making some terrific catches over and around him as well). So to me, I thought, we've got WAY better S's here, the scheme should help a ton (front 7) and he has his work cut out for him...your positioning is perfect...speed, height, size, aggression, etc...just need to work on one aspect of your game and that is knowing when to turn and track the ball w/o losing the WR. He came in, from day 1, worked on it and he's suddenly a CB we're excited to have as a primary backup! He's now part of the 49er family (and he couldn't be happier).
Originally posted by thl408:

I like my crow with tabasco sauce. I'm not a "hater", was more a doubter. It's not like I hoped Cook would be cut just so I can say "see, I told you so". I think he bumped Morris off the team. None of us knew how good of a CB Morris was, just that he was a good STer. It appears Cook has turned a corner and improved his biggest weakness, tracking the ball in the air. His athleticism was never in question. EXcited for what Donatell can do with a good athlete that appeared to lack proper coaching in MIN.

This is a man right here! I think the way ppl first felt about him and with the limited "low lights" to watch, it was VERY understandable to be, at the very best, cautiously optimistic...with lots of reservation and little attachment. Haha. Glad he worked out...hope he stays motivated. You just never know when your time with come...right Brock!?

You know you're a badass when you can call out yourself!

Originally posted by niner4ever12:
he will get his first interception with us! you heard it here first!

BAM!
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Disp:
Hmm isn't this dude pretty terrible?

yes, he is. We basically just replaced Parrish Cox with....Parrish Cox.

Hopefully we still sign Thurmond.

This is exactly it. He's additional camp competition and depth if he makes the team.

On the good side, what nobody has mentioned, is that this signing might be further proof we'll be going to a more press look next year. We'll have Brock, Culliver, Wright and Cook to start things of. All physical and aggressive CB's up at the LOS. This is contrary to Brown/Rogers where much off-coverage was employed. It also means that Thurmond still may be an option here as they look to a nickle/dime/slot CB to compete with Morris. And naturally, it may trigger a bigger, more physical CB with our #1 draft pick as well.

PS: I think Baalke has seen enough of our little CB's getting smoked over the years in big games. Plus, if we play more (successful) press, it's closer to what Bethea has played @ SS and will free up Reid, Seattle-style.

Is there a pat-yourself-on-the-back emoticon?
Preseason dude....preseason lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

You know you're a badass when you can call out yourself!

Well to tell you the truth NC, I haven't watched a lot of Cook in the NFL, but I've seen him in college a couple times and it was two totally different players IMO. It didn't take long for me to like the Cook signing though after hearing about him in his first week in training camp. This dude seems to have been humbled and what is looks to be a changed person and player, I think what also made me mad about this signing though was that I wanted Walter Thurmond more. Oh well it looks like Baalke, Harbaugh and Donatell knew what was best after all, big respect to them for not chasing players and sticking to what they believe in.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Preseason dude....preseason lol

You can't say it's just Preseason when he's facing live fire and one-on-one situations. He's also shown good ball skills and better awareness which tells me that he's buying in to what coach Donatell is selling.
Share 49ersWebzone