Originally posted by SofaKing:
Cook's pre-season numbers:

2 interceptions
5 passes defended
5 total tackles
Allowed 1 catch for 6 yards on 9 targets
0.0 quarterback rating when targeted

http://thevikingage.com/2014/08/30/vikings-wrong-bring-back-cb-chris-cook/

Good for him. He really worked hard and earned his spot on the team. Hopefully he keeps it up during the regular season as well.

Also gotta give some credit to Donatell. If he can turn Cook into a serviceable to good press corner, give that man a raise. Consistently gets the most out of our guys and makes them better. He is a gem, love having him on our staff.

"I felt this is the place I would like to call home. I felt at home when I walked into the building," Cook said. "I could tell with all the interactions with the coaches that this is like one big family and all they care about is winning. There are a lot of positive things going on here and I can't wait for the season to start."

"It's really a brotherhood in this locker room and that's a big thing for me."
[ Edited by DeUh on Sep 3, 2014 at 2:11 AM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Cook's pre-season numbers:

2 interceptions
5 passes defended
5 total tackles
Allowed 1 catch for 6 yards on 9 targets
0.0 quarterback rating when targeted

http://thevikingage.com/2014/08/30/vikings-wrong-bring-back-cb-chris-cook/

Good for him. He really worked hard and earned his spot on the team. Hopefully he keeps it up during the regular season as well.

Also gotta give some credit to Donatell. If he can turn Cook into a serviceable to good press corner, give that man a raise. Consistently gets the most out of our guys and makes them better. He is a gem, love having him on our staff.

"I felt this is the place I would like to call home. I felt at home when I walked into the building," Cook said. "I could tell with all the interactions with the coaches that this is like one big family and all they care about is winning. There are a lot of positive things going on here and I can't wait for the season to start."

lol.. you can tell he's not used to getting INT's.. he didn't know who to give the ball to (@ 1:36).. love how he's comin around tho..
Originally posted by DeUh:

That's a great quote and thanks for sharing the video. 2 INTs already and 0 with Minnesota. He reminds me of Rogers on that tape but in a good way. Rogers only had 8 ints in 6 years with the Redskins. Then comes to the 49ers has 6, 1, 2 so topped what he had in 6 years at Washington in just 3 years. I think what Rogers problem was that he lost speed which is to be expected at 31 when we signed him to the 4 year deal after his first year. We signed him for too long and too much. We were desperate for CBs at the time though. So anyways Rogers wasn't a bad coverage guy his problem was speed. Put a 27 year old Rogers (cook's age) out there and he's a pretty solid CB. 31 year old Rogers not so much. Personally, I play him against other team's possession guys. Mainly the slot but keep him up against guys who aren't deep threats. Guys he can play physical against and keep in front of him. The less he is defending 50 yard passes down field the better. We keep everything in front of us anyways so he's a good fit. We like to give up the short stuff and make sure we don't get beat with a long bomb. The problem is we don't rotate our CBs. One plays right one plays left one plays slot, we don't go our #1 vs their #1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3. So I don't mind him on the outside I just wouldn't want to see him on the outside vs a Mike Wallace type deep threat. I'd rather see him against the bigger slower possession WRs

And yeah lol at him handing the ball to a photographer. The guy is like what am I suppose to do with this? I take pictures I'm not the ball boy or ref.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 3, 2014 at 3:42 AM ]
he looks so much improved!
Originally posted by outside4949:

Agreed
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by outside4949:

Agreed

Wet blanket alert!!!!

The underneath stuff was never cooks problem. The deep ball and ball tracking is where he was terrible. Its impossible based on preseason to make any type of judgment on weather he has improved. I would still be terrified if he had to start and you should be too.

But he has looked good in limited time vs scrubs and that's all you can really hope for up to this point.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:58 AM ]
Dude is hella big and athletic. He has some mad hops too. Broad jumped like 11 feet at combine.
This is exactly what we need with the defensive line in flux.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Dude is hella big and athletic. He has some mad hops too. Broad jumped like 11 feet at combine.

Yeah you can definitely see why he was a high pick.
Where are all the haters now? Come eat your crow!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
they will resurface once he blows a coverage. they will then say how they were the sole voice of opposition in regards to keeping him
Originally posted by cciowa:
they will resurface once he blows a coverage. they will then say how they were the sole voice of opposition in regards to keeping him

LOL so true. It's funny to go back and reread some of the earlier posts in this thread.
I'd still say the jury is out on this guy. let's see what he can do in the regular season. he has looked surprisingly good this pre season. I think he knows this may be it. I still have a hard time believing he was that bad of a CB.
Originally posted by cciowa:

LOL so true. It's funny to go back and reread some of the earlier posts in this thread.

Lol pots meet kettles. You guys are one in the same. All premature.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
I'd still say the jury is out on this guy. let's see what he can do in the regular season. he has looked surprisingly good this pre season. I think he knows this may be it. I still have a hard time believing he was that bad of a CB.

when you hit rock bottom like he did, its just one step at a time and he has done that. he had to survive mini camps which he did, he had to survive pre season which he did. he, unlike some players,, took advantage of a opportunity when wright retired. so every step he takes forward is a positive thing for him and of course our team. a pleasant surprise like his story, so far, gets drowned out in the sea of negativity that surrounds our team in some quarters. You are right in that now the further he goes the tougher it will get for him but so far he has risen to the challenge and here he is on the main roster. for as much as some media people rip us for having a bunch of thugs and bad culture , a change in the uniform for people like him and cox have been very positive .. but of course those success stories do not fit into the narrative that we are thugs so it gets no airplay except on this forum
Share 49ersWebzone