LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 444 users in the forums

Can we create more cap room anywhere?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I skimmed the entire thread for AB's post, then I carefully read every word! When it comes to cap space in AB I trust. Thanks for the great work.
With the rumored potential DJ deal, I could see the team dumping Crabtree after next year. Maybe not sold about his ability to get back where he was (and he wasn't there last year although it was really encouraging to see where he was). Also probably unsure about his contract demands. Jackson is signed to a pretty reasonable deal, plays a role we really need to find someone to play and AB and Crabtree are basically redundant. They probably view Patton as a potential possession guy first and foremost too although I think he might be a little more than that (big maybe).
Originally posted by WildBill:
AB-why does other sources say we have approx only 4 mill. in cap space? there is a disparity of 8 mill.-what gives?

Rogers salary which will be cut in June.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
With the rumored potential DJ deal, I could see the team dumping Crabtree after next year. Maybe not sold about his ability to get back where he was (and he wasn't there last year although it was really encouraging to see where he was). Also probably unsure about his contract demands. Jackson is signed to a pretty reasonable deal, plays a role we really need to find someone to play and AB and Crabtree are basically redundant. They probably view Patton as a potential possession guy first and foremost too although I think he might be a little more than that (big maybe).

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have Crabtree over Desean Jackson. Reasons:

1) Crabs, while a diva, is the Kelly Rowland to Desean Jackson's Beyoncé. And I would really would hate for us to trade for Jackson and then have to listen to his upgraded contract demands next season (and every season after).

2) Because Crabtree's career numbers aren't as good as DJ's, he should be (theoretically) easier and cheaper to resign. Better for us long term cap-wise.

3) Crabtree is the more physical receiver. And lord knows that in our offense, you can never have too many blockers.

4) Boldin, while still great, can't play forever. You're right in that Boldin and Crabtree have similar skill sets but I don't see Boldin lasting beyond his current contract. Say we let Crabs walk, where does that leave us once Boldin is gone and our best receiver on our team is a self-absorbed d-bag?

5) Crabtree's established rapport with Kap: We finally started to see what Crabtree is capable of with Kap under center. He really came on the second half of last season. He's entering the final year of his contract. He finally has a competent receiver opposite him to take some of the pressure off. All that to say: I fully expect him to tear it up this year.

With Jackson you get speed but that's basically it. He can't be depended in to make the tough catch and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, his attitude is a major turn off. There's a reason why Philly is looking to dump him although he's clearly their best receiver.
Originally posted by baltien:
I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have Crabtree over Desean Jackson. Reasons:

1) Crabs, while a diva, is the Kelly Rowland to Desean Jackson's Beyoncé. And I would really would hate for us to trade for Jackson and then have to listen to his upgraded contract demands next season (and every season after).

2) Because Crabtree's career numbers aren't as good as DJ's, he should be (theoretically) easier and cheaper to resign. Better for us long term cap-wise.

3) Crabtree is the more physical receiver. And lord knows that in our offense, you can never have too many blockers.

4) Boldin, while still great, can't play forever. You're right in that Boldin and Crabtree have similar skill sets but I don't see Boldin lasting beyond his current contract. Say we let Crabs walk, where does that leave us once Boldin is gone and our best receiver on our team is a self-absorbed d-bag?

5) Crabtree's established rapport with Kap: We finally started to see what Crabtree is capable of with Kap under center. He really came on the second half of last season. He's entering the final year of his contract. He finally has a competent receiver opposite him to take some of the pressure off. All that to say: I fully expect him to tear it up this year.

With Jackson you get speed but that's basically it. He can't be depended in to make the tough catch and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, his attitude is a major turn off. There's a reason why Philly is looking to dump him although he's clearly their best receiver.
There are several reasons Crabtree is going to tear it up. 1) he is good 2) it is contract time 3) he will be fully healed and 4) he will be extremely motivated to shut up Richard Sherman and prove why he went first round and Sherman went fifth. Thank you Richard Sherman. We are about to see the best year Crabtree has ever put together. He is about to go Biletnikoff in the NFL!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM ]
This roster is what it is and thats not a bad thing. We barely have enough space for the load of rookies coming in as it is. With the re signings that are coming up, there is no need to do anything crazy
[ Edited by walker807 on Mar 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Evilgenius:

The problem with Jackson is that he will never be paid enough in his mind. Mesean is not a team player in my opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone