Originally posted by Evilgenius:With the rumored potential DJ deal, I could see the team dumping Crabtree after next year. Maybe not sold about his ability to get back where he was (and he wasn't there last year although it was really encouraging to see where he was). Also probably unsure about his contract demands. Jackson is signed to a pretty reasonable deal, plays a role we really need to find someone to play and AB and Crabtree are basically redundant. They probably view Patton as a potential possession guy first and foremost too although I think he might be a little more than that (big maybe).
I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have Crabtree over Desean Jackson. Reasons:
1) Crabs, while a diva, is the Kelly Rowland to Desean Jackson's Beyoncé. And I would really would hate for us to trade for Jackson and then have to listen to his upgraded contract demands next season (and every season after).
2) Because Crabtree's career numbers aren't as good as DJ's, he should be (theoretically) easier and cheaper to resign. Better for us long term cap-wise.
3) Crabtree is the more physical receiver. And lord knows that in our offense, you can never have too many blockers.
4) Boldin, while still great, can't play forever. You're right in that Boldin and Crabtree have similar skill sets but I don't see Boldin lasting beyond his current contract. Say we let Crabs walk, where does that leave us once Boldin is gone and our best receiver on our team is a self-absorbed d-bag?
5) Crabtree's established rapport with Kap: We finally started to see what Crabtree is capable of with Kap under center. He really came on the second half of last season. He's entering the final year of his contract. He finally has a competent receiver opposite him to take some of the pressure off. All that to say: I fully expect him to tear it up this year.
With Jackson you get speed but that's basically it. He can't be depended in to make the tough catch and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, his attitude is a major turn off. There's a reason why Philly is looking to dump him although he's clearly their best receiver.