LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Can we create more cap room anywhere?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We can stay over the cap for as long as we need to depending on developments, and decisions before the deadline.
Niner fans should get it by now that whatever it takes to improve the team without disrupting its chemistry, Baalke will be all over it.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Restructure Gabbert, possibly Gore. Extend others

Must restructure Gabbert. Especially since he makes more Then Kaep. If he even makes the team?
The 49ers currently have $3.846 million in cap space. That figure includes kicker Phil Dawson's reported two-year, $6.134 million contract, which includes a $2 million signing bonus and a first-year cap figure of $2 million.

Because the 49ers released cornerback Carlos Rogers with a post-June 1 designation, they will carry his entire $8.094 million cap figure until that time. Only then, will the team realize its $6.6 million cap savings on Rogers' contract.

And as it's been mentioned we can also restructure Frank Gore's base salary.
Originally posted by GEEK:
A few ways to create more cap room:

- Restructure Frank Gore, save a couple million.
- Extend Vernon Davis and/or Glenn Dorsey, save quite a few million.
- Cut veteran backups (Ventrone, Spillman, Snyder, and/or Skuta) to save a few million.

I think Frank could work his deal, maybe extend a year and reduce the yearly hit. I'd love to see Dorsey extend. I think he can play any of the from 3 spots fairly well. He was a great add. Of the cuts the only ones I would consider is Ventrone of Snyder. With the Martin addition Snyder is a "hotseat" guy at this point anyway. Ventrone is a great special teamer but that is it. I like Spillman and love Skuta. No goes there.
I'd like to think Gore would be one of those players who would actually approach the team and offer to restructure as some others have done. We'll see.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by buck:
Our Center is very over paid and Frank Gore needs a pay cut.

Kilgore is overpaid? He is going to make $1,750,000 this year.

http://www.overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=C

Cute edit San Diego. Here is what you cut. (in bold)

Originally posted by buck:
Kilgore was not our starter. And has not proven he will be. To my knowledge we have not cut the old guy who gets paid too much but we should.[/quote]

The old guy, Goodwin, is not on the team. He does not get paid anything next year by the 49ers. He is a free agent. We can not cut a free agent.

That editing job seems, at least to me, to be a bit self-serving and dishonest.
  • buck
  • Veteran
from MM

The 49ers enter the day with $3.846 million in cap space. That figure includes kicker Phil Dawson’s reported two-year, $6.134 million contract, which includes a $2 million signing bonus and a first-year cap figure of $2 million

The 49ers’ cap situation should not be a deterrent toward getting veteran deals done with a wide receiver and cornerback. The team has the option of approaching any number of veteran players for contract conversions to replace base salaries with signing bonuses to create immediate cap room.

Because the 49ers released cornerback Carlos Rogers with a post-June 1 designation, they will carry his entire $8.094 million cap figure until that time. Only then, will the team realize its $6.6 million cap savings on Rogers’ contract.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-host-free-agents-edelman-thurmond-cap-space-dwindles
I suppose the plan is to run through as much cap money as possible now and use the Rogers money to sign draft picks. At this point, I've got to wonder if they really are going to get a contract done for Kaepernick.
  • thl408
Just throwing it out there: find a cheaper punter. Andy (10th highest paid base salary at $1.9) still posted a nice net average, and that's what it's all about, but I noticed his coffin corner kick skills (pinning opponents inside the 10) slipped last season. What used to be automatic punts that died inside the 10 yard line were too often touchbacks in 2013. Maybe negotiate his contract to a lower number. There used to be a time when I would chant "Andy Lee, MVP!", when there was little else to get excited about, so I love the guy.

List of punter salaries
http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/punter/

Originally posted by crake49:
I suppose the plan is to run through as much cap money as possible now and use the Rogers money to sign draft picks. At this point, I've got to wonder if they really are going to get a contract done for Kaepernick.

Seriously why would they? Even a modest cap hit would dramatically effect this teams ability to compete for a SB. Having a QB who makes $1M is a damn good thing.
Originally posted by thl408:
Just throwing it out there: find a cheaper punter. Andy (10th highest paid base salary at $1.9) still posted a nice net average, and that's what it's all about, but I noticed his coffin corner kick skills (pinning opponents inside the 10) slipped last season. What used to be automatic punts that died inside the 10 yard line were too often touchbacks in 2013. Maybe negotiate his contract to a lower number. There used to be a time when I would chant "Andy Lee, MVP!", when there was little else to get excited about, so I love the guy.

List of punter salaries
http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/punter/

NO
Kilgore was not our starter. And has not proven he will be. To my knowledge we have not cut the old guy who gets paid too much but we should.

lololololololololol
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by crake49:

Seriously why would they? Even a modest cap hit would dramatically effect this teams ability to compete for a SB. Having a QB who makes $1M is a damn good thing.

That's a good point. I guess if they can get away with it, why not. And it's not as if it's going to negatively affect Kaepernick's play. If anything, it should serve as more motivation because if they win a Super Bowl this year, he holds all the cards.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Kilgore was not our starter. And has not proven he will be. To my knowledge we have not cut the old guy who gets paid too much but we should.

lololololololololol

When I read that guy's posts, I still can't help but always wonder if he's kidding or if it's some sort of performance art he's going for.
Share 49ersWebzone