There are 283 users in the forums

Great Job by the Front Office...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Seriously. '94 was epic how can you spew such nonsense? I suppose since we have 5 championships you can say something like "least favorite." But I'd trade 5 years of mediocrity and "salary cap hell" for one Super Bowl win.

If you were guaranteed a Super Bowl win, there might be an argument there. But since it is not guaranteed, it is not generally wise to trade the future away for the "maybe".
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Seriously. '94 was epic how can you spew such nonsense? I suppose since we have 5 championships you can say something like "least favorite." But I'd trade 5 years of mediocrity and "salary cap hell" for one Super Bowl win.

If you were guaranteed a Super Bowl win, there might be an argument there. But since it is not guaranteed, it is not generally wise to trade the future away for the "maybe".

I agree. I'm not proposing any OJ/Hershel Walker type deals. What I'm saying is what the Broncos are doing, for example, is wise. You're close, you need a few pieces to get over the top - you have to go for it.
Originally posted by kronik:
Are you comparing a 15 year vet to someone who has only played 1.5 years of games?

I'll guarantee one thing. Kaep will have much more production than Manning in the next 10 years. Manning will retired within next 2-3 years.

No, clearly i am comparing playoff statistics of two quarterbacks. Before you came along the argument was Payton's ability to get it done without a coach, and Kap's ability with a coach. I do agree Kap is good because of Harbaugh, but i also believe that Payton is good because of his team, not just himself.
This may just be me but Payton is an excellent seasonal QB, come playoffs he is average.
In my opinion, getting it done means a superbowl win. Payton has gone to the playoffs 12-13 times and has won the superbowl 1 time. I'm pointing out that given the chances Payton had, I'm confident Kap would have won more than 1 with Harbaugh.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM ]

I agree. I'm not proposing any OJ/Hershel Walker type deals. What I'm saying is what the Broncos are doing, for example, is wise. You're close, you need a few pieces to get over the top - you have to go for it.

Well, three years for 30 million is not a bad contract. That's less than a LOT of worse players. He could have made a lot more I think.
I think its quite clear that Ware chose the Broncos for a Super Bowl run, more than the Broncos chose him.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Revis one year $12M really would have put us in cap hell. No wait it would have given us a year long upgrade and depth for Culliver not to mention a guy from a draft pick(s) to learn from.
I was really hoping for Talib. What did he sign for?

And, what is up with Denver? How can they afford this with a 20M qb?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

They turned off the salary cap
Originally posted by cciowa:
he screwed tampa raw. cost em picks and lots of money. kind of like what oj did to us in 78

He didn't screw them! What don't you understand... Tampa made the trade, gave him the 16 mil and hired a coach that couldn't find a way to use his talents. It's really quite simple, Iowa!

I AGREE. I think the Broncos have done a Hell Of a Job!! Ware, Talib/ Those are two studs and theyre not finished. That's how it should be. Whats the point of having a 12-4 team or an 11-5 team but cant win the big one? I'd trade a SB win for 5 years of mediocre 7 DAYS A WEEK!! If you draft right, there wont be a big dropoff.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

I AGREE. I think the Broncos have done a Hell Of a Job!! Ware, Talib/ Those are two studs and theyre not finished. That's how it should be. Whats the point of having a 12-4 team or an 11-5 team but cant win the big one? I'd trade a SB win for 5 years of mediocre 7 DAYS A WEEK!! If you draft right, there wont be a big dropoff.

I know my first reaction to the Broncos signings was to walk to the ledge before I ask myself if Baalke is screwing the 49ers over by not signing every free agent out there. We're screwed, I thought.

[ Edited by bzborow1 on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM ]

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

The broncos are screwed anyway once Peyton retires so why not go for broke now? I think this past Super Bowl loss really deflated Peyton. To have such a great year, probably his best one statistically and to still comeup short will knock something out of any competitor. This might be his last year.
[ Edited by mutant-man49 on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM ]
I'm surprised at how many moves Denver has made. Ward, Talib and Ware makes that defense a hell of a lot better. With that said, I still don't think they would beat us or Seattle for that matter.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

They turned off the salary cap

John Elway played too much Madden recently.
Denver learned from their mistake. Their defensive backfield was pathetic in the sb. really exposed.

Ward + Talib = instant credibility.

Just like Seattle, they will buy their way to a championship.
Denver is curing themselves as the new "Philly", all that talent is going to clash, and will not amount to a championship. I wouldn't be surprised if Manning falls completely apart next season (for good), and they either lose in the divisional, OR wildcard round.

Elway was apart of that big 'cap' conspiracy in Denver back in the late 90s, players taking money under the table in exchange for cheap contracts on paper to win that final one in 1999. He's a dirty motherf**ker who brands the 'triangle', as well.
Share 49ersWebzone