There are 180 users in the forums

Great Job by the Front Office...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Are we scared about Allen? Really?

The guy is good, but he's washed up. And the only reason he has the sack record is because Brett Favre let him. Yes, that's how long ago Allen was relevant. When Brett Favre still played, and when he played for the Packers.

Nothing to see here.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by susweel:
why you mad tho ?

Because all you and SD do is complain about every move the team makes. It gets old. I'm all for discussion and I don't want anyone to be a lackey and blindly agree withe very move we make but you guys don't seem to think we ever do anything right. Honestly, I think you are knowledgeable about football too so I think it's a waste to post like you do.

thanks for reporting me. lol

I didnt report you; I have never reported anybody that wasnt a spamer.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 20, 2014 at 2:18 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I didnt report you, I have never reported anybody that wasnt a spamer.

so if you didnt report me then why was I warned ?

mods
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

The guy is good, but he's washed up. And the only reason he has the sack record is because Brett Favre let him. Yes, that's how long ago Allen was relevant. When Brett Favre still played, and when he played for the Packers.

Nothing to see here.

*Cough* that's Strahan *cough*

Strahan had 22.5, Allen had 22

mods

No I swear I didn't you can ask the mods if you don't believe me. You would have to ask them why you got warned but maybe what you said about Martin?

And susweel you know how the 49ers operate. Like Marvin said there is a lot more to free agency for us than who we bring in. You weren't happy with re-signing/extending Boldin, Dawson, Kilgore, Miller, Donatell and Fangio? Really that is pretty much our free agency besides Bethea. Martin, Gabbert and Cook are just short deal projects/try outs that aren't costing us that much.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM ]
Originally posted by JoRo:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

Nothing to see here.

*Cough* that's Strahan *cough*

Strahan had 22.5, Allen had 22

Ah, damn it. I always mix those two up. I knew I should've looked up stats. But really, when was Allen last a stud DE?

Don't get me wrong, he's still a good viable option at the DE position. But I wouldn't even put him anywhere near the top10 for pass rushers in the NFL.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

mods

No I swear I didn't you can ask the mods if you don't believe me. You would have to ask them why you got warned but maybe what you said about Martin?

And susweel you know how the 49ers operate. Like Marvin said there is a lot more to free agency for us than who we bring in. You weren't happy with re-signing/extending Boldin, Dawson, Kilgore, Miller, Donatell and Fangio? Really that is pretty much our free agency besides Bethea. Martin, Gabbert and Cook are just short deal projects/try outs that aren't costing us that much.

It's all good man, it's no big deal. I get what your saying.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Seahawks just got Jared Allen while we got punk ass b***h Martin and plain gabbert.

Yah great job front office.

lol

FAWK!

I ain't worried about Jared Allen. We got Joe Staley and he ain't better than Aldon or Ahmad in my book at this stage in his career

I'm just pissed that they lost Clemons and upgraded to Allen. And we lose Brown and sign Chris Cook. Not exactly a "great" job by the F/O.

...Says who? Why do you assume they were going to replace Brown with a FA? I think they were looking to draft a new secondary all along and have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds to do so. Even Brown said that they lowballed him because they are probably looking to get younger there.

The Seahawks have 2 picks in the first 3 rounds. The Niners have SIX.

Free Agency isn't where you build. Its where you suppliment. If they had to start a game right now they'd have a solid starter at every position. Now that can draft a new secondary and some new WRs to groom behind those starters.

I assume they were going to replace Brown with a F/A because of we visited with Thrumond and Cook who were F/As. I understand that the draft is where you replace players, but CB is hard to replace, at least right away. Having draft picks doesn't really guarantee anything. And drafting if for the future anyhow. We are a superbolwl ready team now and needed to add some key pieces.

If we started playing who would be the starting DBs? Brock, Morris, Eric Wright? That is ultra risky.

1) Right, and they visited with Delmas and Woodson last year before drafting Reid. Thats what they do.

2) Draft picks don't guarantee anything. That's true. Neither does Free Agency. Free Agency is largely fools gold. The only players available are players another team let walk, they get WAY overpaid, and very often get released because they aren't worth their contracts. Draft is better. Always has been and always will be.

3) Starting Corners right now would be Brock and Culliver. Brock started half the season already and Culliver would have started had he not been hurt. he was hurt in camp so he'll have more than a full year to come back from ACL surgery.

Ideal? No...but if you have to go into the season with them, you should be OK...particularly with that front 7 in front of them. Was Brown ever really anything more than solid? There is a reason the 49ers lowballed him and why the Raiders got him for 3.5 when other corners were getting 10.

I forgot about Cully, but he's coming of a gruesome injury. I hope and pray he comes back to his old form, but it is highly unlikely he will right away.

We are basically doing what you said we did last year with Reid. Hey it worked out, but what if it doesn't? Last year our backup plan was Dahl and this year its Culliver, Cook, Wright , Morris or a rookie.

Baalke is playing with fire.

How would he NOT be playiong with fire with a FA?

Were Talib or Revis ever real options? Not at those prices.

I ALWAYS thought they'd address the secondary in the draft.

Why? Price and Age. Niners have some big contracts coming and they can't keep their own guys if they are paying huge $$$ to another teams castoffs.

The draft is better. Always. HUGE potential. Minimal price. Minimal risk. They have 2 starters. They now have the ability to get guys to compete with them for playing time.

As for Reid, remember...the 49ers traded UP to get him. They knew he was their guy. They also probably knew there were a few guys they liked. We can't be afraid to play rookies. More and more as other players eat up larger and larger portions of the cap, we will have to be reliant on draft picks playing on rookie contracts. Thats why its so important that the 49ers keep aquiring additional draft picks.

THATS HOW YOU STAY GOOD.

IMO, our secondary has been greatly overrated for the past few years now. They needed to overhaul the position anyway. Now they have the ammunition and a deep draft at the position to do exactly that.

Marv,

While I agree with much of your post and feel OK about how they've handled the secondary, two points to counter:

1. The team could have signed someone like Walter Thurmond just to have another solid vet presence and some insurance. He only signed 1-year 3.5 with NYG.
  2. Not sure how you can say the secondary is overrated. They were incredible in 2011, solid in 2012 until the playoff collapse, and regained form in 2013 thanks to a bounce back year from Whitner, the emergence of Reid and Brock, and solid play from Brown and Rogers. Fangio only gets the luxury of rushing 4 due to the trust he places in the secondary...and they deliver.
If you look back on 2013, you'll see a lot of times where really good QB's had plenty of time in the pocket and had to either throw it away or got taken down as the result of a coverage sack.

People love to slight the 49ers secondary but only if it falters, and I pray it doesn't, will people realize just how good it's been. For better context, revisit the unit from 2000-2010 and tell me 2011-2013 a marked improvement and one of the best units in the league?

Sure...signing a vet to a small contract would have been nice...but is that an upgrade?

They have 2 vets already. Brock and Culliver. Thurmond was the slot corner in Seattle with an off the field history and keeps getting hurt. How is that an improvement from Culliver?

I can easily say they are overrated. What happened when both Aldon and Justin got hurt late last year? The pass defense completely fell apart. Why? They were exposed.

They were good, but not nearly as good as advertised. Brown was solid but unspectacular. Rogers was pretty good but not worth the $$$. Goldson and Whitner were never great in coverage. Whitner had a good year last year, but struggled in coverage in every other year of his career. The secondary has been a position i need of a makeover for a few years now. The 49ers know this. Rogers would have been gone last year of Culliver didn't get hurt. There is a reason they didn't throw money at Brown.

In a perfect world, the 49ers could stockpile awesome proven DBs. This aint that world. The 49ers stregth on D is the front 7. Thats where the money is. They will be looking to upgrade in the secondary with draft picks and also get younger and cheaper in the process.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i do not care who they sign, when we play each other it will be close and we have just as good a chance to win. never understood people who worry so much about what other teams do and then they use those actions as a opportunity to bash our team and front office. makes zero sense to me

49ers: Hole at CB
Seahawks: Hole at WR

Who ever does a better job in the draft might get the upper hand. At the moment with us missing Bowman and them going into the season with a healthy Harvin. It's evident the Seahawks will be favored.
Originally posted by joshuatree:

Who ever does a better job in the draft might get the upper hand. At the moment with us missing Bowman and them going into the season with a healthy Harvin. It's evident the Seahawks will be favored.

When is the last time Harvin stayed healthy? A healthy Harvin for a full season is not really what I'd call a good bet. But, you're right about the draft. The good news for both teams is that this draft is heavy with both positions. Both teams will have a good chance - it will be interesting to see who drafts better.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Bill Williamson ‏@BWilliamsonESPN 5m #49ers Agree to three-year extension with fullback Bruce Miller

Booya. Culliver probably coming next.

Great news...expect zero 3+ WR sets next year! LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM ]

mods

You're on the "auto-warn" system...just every couple of months you get warned...no matter how many warnable offenses you commit in that time.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joshuatree:

they are the champs and should be favored, we always seem to play our best with our backs against the wall with everyone picking against us. remember two or three measly inches is all that prevented us from scoring 7 and going to the super bowl last year. i have a feeling that whoever will step in and do a fine job in filling in for bowman
Share 49ersWebzone