There are 255 users in the forums

Great Job by the Front Office...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We probably lost a little with whitner but not too much. I think if we draft a strong safety in top sixty well be set.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Keep in mind his may be Jim's last year if rumors are true. If that's the case and they don't reach an extension they won't let him coach 2015. Without him around we are 8-8 or 9-7. Kap isn't Peyton who can lead a team no matter who the coach is. If Jed says is true and Jim will be extended after draft I'll feel a little better about the moves.

I guess you all like coming so close and losing year after year that solidifying back up spots excites you. Is Martin and upgrade over Synder? No. Is Gabbert better than McCoy I don't know. Is Bethea better than Whitner probably without the roughness calls may fare a little better.

I don't know the market on Edelman, Jacoby Jones, Munnerlyn and I don't pretend to. I do know they aren't too tier guys but are upgrades at positions of needs. Do you like the thought of Culliver coming off injury being the #2 corner. I know I don't feel great about it. Do I want Patton to improve absolutely. Have him at 4th WR and push for the 3 job and not to mention if Crabs or Boldin go down were not left with Marlon Moore and Baldwin again.

Still work to be done here and in draft excited for Carradine and Lattimore to see the field.

I love Boldin and Dawson coming back but I still need more substance.
In HarBaalke we trust.

So far so good!!
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by susweel:
Great job my ass we downgraded our SS, got probably the worst QB in the NFL to be our back up, and got an emo little b***h from the dolphins that nobody else wanted.

yah real great job

sus gonna sus

Can't argue with that................wouldn't help with sus anyway.
This FO rocks...despite all the BS we've been hearing for the last couple of weeks. And you'd better believe Harbaugh's been plenty involved, too. Take that, media.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Not a bad job but are Gabbert and Martin the guys that will take us over the hump? Ask me it's status quo so far no better no worse. Where's the catalyst to get us over ? Is Bethea over Whitner the difference maker? I don't see it.

We could go all or nothing and sign Decker and trade for Revis.

Or bring in few mid round solid contributors who make key contributions. Break up a 3rd down pass. Catch that pass extend that drive.
Clog the gap on 4th and short. Where are these guys?

We're in worse shape then we think we are if we need Gabbert and Martin to take us over the hump. These two moves were strictly depth moves and in no way reflect any of the on the field issues that needed to be addressed. I have a feeling there's something else brewing, and maybe it will happen later this afternoon or tomorrow.
Originally posted by kentc1978:
Originally posted by nj9er:
Not a bad job but are Gabbert and Martin the guys that will take us over the hump? Ask me it's status quo so far no better no worse. Where's the catalyst to get us over ? Is Bethea over Whitner the difference maker? I don't see it.

We could go all or nothing and sign Decker and trade for Revis.

Or bring in few mid round solid contributors who make key contributions. Break up a 3rd down pass. Catch that pass extend that drive.
Clog the gap on 4th and short. Where are these guys?

We're in worse shape then we think we are if we need Gabbert and Martin to take us over the hump. These two moves were strictly depth moves and in no way reflect any of the on the field issues that needed to be addressed. I have a feeling there's something else brewing, and maybe it will happen later this afternoon or tomorrow.

Harbaugh will no longer wear khaki pants tomorrow.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM ]
Anyone else think that the Martin acquisition was Baalke's and FO first attempt at repairing their relationship with Harbaugh? Harbaugh has always been an advocate of trying to land his former players from Stanford. The move makes sense for offensive depth and if they ever lose A.Davis or Iupati but I think this was a move to get Harbaugh feeling welcome once again.

Thoughts?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Harbaugh will no longer wear khaki pants tomorrow.

Harbaugh has signed an official endorsement deal with Dockers

Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Anyone else think that the Martin acquisition was Baalke's and FO first attempt at repairing their relationship with Harbaugh? Harbaugh has always been an advocate of trying to land his former players from Stanford. The move makes sense for offensive depth and if they ever lose A.Davis or Iupati but I think this was a move to get Harbaugh feeling welcome once again.

Thoughts?

i think a lot of it has been over blown and that this is a football decision a lot more than it is a extending the olive branch in house decision
My thoughts:

Gabbert is probably beter than McCoy
Martin is probably ALOT better than Snyder (cuz he is the worst).

Good risk vs. reward moves
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
In HarBaalke we trust.

Man i sure would love to see Harbaugh in anything other than the fleece
Gabbert for a 6th and Martin for a conditional 7th is fantastic! Both are young and had promising futures once upon a time.

Re-upping Wright for a year provides solid depth at an important position.

I personally would rather have signed Alterraun Verner over Bethea (They signed almost identical contracts). Verner is younger and appears to be reaching his prime, whereas Bethea is probably on the downswing of his career. The 49ers were in need of both a CB and a S and I understand wanting an experienced player playing "center field" as opposed to having a rookie playing alongside a 2nd year player in Reid.

That being said, we have made it to the NFC Championship 3 years in a row, so I trust our front office to continue making good decisions.
Not true, Verner got 26 mill with 14 guaranteed while Bethea got 23 with 6.5 guaranteed. Think of NFL contracts as gross vs net when it comes to salary vs guaranteed. With the 9ers own free agents in the future, they can cut Bethea after 2 years and not loose any money while developing his replacement on a rookie salary. The 9ers have a lot of pending FA in the up coming years at pivotal positions, the subtraction of Whitner is minimized while they preserve their future salary. Can wait to see ABs breakdown.
Share 49ersWebzone