There are 272 users in the forums

Great Job by the Front Office...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nj9er:
Edelman can play WR CB and return

I want him on the cheap to play slot wr!
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by verb1der:
after what this team has done in the last 3 years esp last year when they were left for dead by fans like me at 1-2 and winning two playoff games in a row on the road and almost getting to the super bowl,,,,,,,, if you are not excited about this team, well i just do not know

for 3 years now we've been using the same formula and I think it's been figured out, I was hoping the front office would at least make a big splash somewhere..

imagine Kaep with Crabtree, Boldin, and Eric Decker!

now that excites!!

provide proof that we have been figured out please? if you followed this team you should know they do not make a big splash putting all of the eggs into one expensive basket that could put our future in doubt(see what denver is doing). this formula has brought us three nfc title games and a super bowl showing. if we have been figured out, we would have never made the playoffs and would have been beat on the road by either green bay or carolina in my opinion

I'll tell you right now, we are extremely lucky to have Kaep, because he is the one who tips the scale in the post-season, we are a QB away from being completely figured out, what has Gore done in the post season lately!?

We need to stop being run-heavy and be a more pass-heavy team....now that will excite!!!
after what this team has done in the last 3 years esp last year when they were left for dead by fans like me at 1-2 and winning two playoff games in a row on the road and almost getting to the super bowl,,,,,,,, if you are not excited about this team, well i just do not know

for 3 years now we've been using the same formula and I think it's been figured out, I was hoping the front office would at least make a big splash somewhere..

now that excites!!

provide proof that we have been figured out please? if you followed this team you should know they do not make a big splash putting all of the eggs into one expensive basket that could put our future in doubt(see what denver is doing). this formula has brought us three nfc title games and a super bowl showing. if we have been figured out, we would have never made the playoffs and would have been beat on the road by either green bay or carolina in my opinion

I'll tell you right now, we are extremely lucky to have Kaep, because he is the one who tips the scale in the post-season, we are a QB away from being completely figured out, what has Gore done in the post season lately!?

We need to stop being run-heavy and be a more pass-heavy team....now that will excite!!!

gore had over 300 rush yards in 3 playoff games after the 2012 season. and last year he had 150+ yards and a td in the first 2 playoff games. an average of 75 yards per game is fine. everyone wants to point to his seattle game, but look at the last 3 trips there, he hasnt run good up there, probably in part to the noise and the D getting a jump. but he rips seattle up in sf.
Originally posted by crabman82:

now that excites!!

gore had over 300 rush yards in 3 playoff games after the 2012 season. and last year he had 150 yards and a td in the first 2 playoff games. an average of 75 yards per game is fine. everyone wants to point to his seattle game, but look at the last 3 trips there, he hasnt run good up there, probably in part to the noise and the D getting a jump. but he rips seattle up in sf.

I didn't mean to say Gore does absolutely nothing at all, what I meant was Gore is not going to be the primary weapon to win us a SB...that's Kaep, so we need to start being more of a passing team, than we are a running. But I don't think that's Harbaugh's style...
[ Edited by verb1der on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:

now that excites!!

gore had over 300 rush yards in 3 playoff games after the 2012 season. and last year he had 150 yards and a td in the first 2 playoff games. an average of 75 yards per game is fine. everyone wants to point to his seattle game, but look at the last 3 trips there, he hasnt run good up there, probably in part to the noise and the D getting a jump. but he rips seattle up in sf.

I didn't mean to say Gore does absolutely nothing at all, what I meant was Gore is not going to be the primary weapon to win us a SB...that's Kaep, so we need to start being more of a passing team, than we are a running. But I don't think that's Harbaugh's style...

no i dont think so either
I love what we have done so far. Bethea is at worst as good as Whitner but I think he'll end up being better in coverage here than Whitner was. Bringing back Boldin, Dawson, Wright are all good moves. The trades are interesting, backup QB and swing OT were needs that are now erased with young vets who have starting experience in the NFL on the cheap. We are now set up in the draft to go target our guys at WR & CB early and then go BPA the rest of the way. Can't wait to see who we get, these additions along with Lattimore, Tank, Dial from last years draft and Culliver/Ian Williams coming back from injuries and the 49ers could end up improving a ton which should scare the hell out of the rest of the league.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Not a bad job but are Gabbert and Martin the guys that will take us over the hump? Ask me it's status quo so far no better no worse. Where's the catalyst to get us over ? Is Bethea over Whitner the difference maker? I don't see it.

We could go all or nothing and sign Decker and trade for Revis.

Or bring in few mid round solid contributors who make key contributions. Break up a 3rd down pass. Catch that pass extend that drive.
Clog the gap on 4th and short. Where are these guys?
Our previous hx of drafting WRs high has been not so good. Rashaun was the most memorable...ok, make that un-memorable, but if we end up drafting a WR at #30, well, that really isn't so high. What I don't like is taking a WR in the top 7 or top 10. That is where a lot of teams have crashed and burned. Also betting the franchise with a signing like SD did with Wallace...he is barely mediocre...but has a lot of cash. TB and JH don't do that, and it is a very well thought out philosophy. TB has been picking up value, not with the flashy CBs and WRs but basically traded Whitner for Bethea, and Bethea is way better on preventing a pass completion than Whitner, but both hit like a ton of bricks...oh, and we got Bethea for .5Mil/yr less than Whitner signed for. Win/win.

The Martin thing was probably destined to happen... he joins his old coach, and was a 2nd rd OT, for a 6th. Remember, his first yr, Martin played well. We don't have and never have had a Miami type locker room, and we just added huge value for an established OT with over a yr's experience for a lousy 6th. Both these are examples of value. And like CC said above, TB signed his own, Dawson, Wright, and I forgot the other. Again, pure value.
Not a bad job but are Gabbert and Martin the guys that will take us over the hump? Ask me it's status quo so far no better no worse. Where's the catalyst to get us over ? Is Bethea over Whitner the difference maker? I don't see it.

Or bring in few mid round solid contributors who make key contributions. Break up a 3rd down pass. Catch that pass extend that drive.

No Gabbert/Martin won't get us over the hump but in the NFL it's about improving and doing so on the cheap where you can. We needed a new backup QB and swing OT and we just got them for next to nothing. Not everybody can be a star on a 53 man roster, these are solid moves.
The FA market was not meant to put us over the hump. It was to fill in gaps in our roster and prepare us for the draft. Now backup QB is not so much an issue and I still would not be surprised to see the Niners pick a QB in the 3rd round. OT was another need and it with Martin on the roster we have some competition for TC to sort out. Now Marin, Bykowski, and anyone else we pick will have competition. With Bethea on board we can still draft a high Safety and train them without sacrificing experience and set the stage for the future. Now we are left to draft the BPA in CB, WR, Safety and still have enough flexibility to cover our remaining needs - C, G, TE, FB. So we are set up nicely and still may pick up another FA or two on the cheap without hurting the draft.

• nj9er
  • Veteran
The whole league was beating down the door for Gabbert and Martin. If Kap goes down Gabbert is gonna win the Super Bowl? If Staley goes down Martin will play at the same level. Hate to break it to you if Kap or Staley are lost for a significant amount of time our hopes of a Super Bowl deteriorate immensely. Martin could help a little with some shuffling I'm not against the moves just thought these could have waited.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
The FA market was not meant to put us over the hump.

It worked for the seahawks!
Originally posted by matt49er:

No Gabbert/Martin won't get us over the hump but in the NFL it's about improving and doing so on the cheap where you can. We needed a new backup QB and swing OT and we just got them for next to nothing. Not everybody can be a star on a 53 man roster, these are solid moves.

We are getting esentially two draft classes this year that will infuse young athletic talent into the entire roster....that is what is going to get this team over the hump as you say.
The whole league was beating down the door for Gabbert and Martin. If Kap goes down Gabbert is gonna win the Super Bowl? If Staley goes down Martin will play at the same level. Hate to break it to you if Kap or Staley are lost for a significant amount of time our hopes of a Super Bowl deteriorate immensely. Martin could help a little with some shuffling I'm not against the moves just thought these could have waited.

what backup qb is going to win the super bowl? jeff hostetler stories are great because of how impossible it really is to accomplish. if staley went down we'd be making 2 changes on the offensive line because boone would flip over there and wed have a new guard. now if staley went down we'd only have 1 hole to fill. baalke could have waited on the moves for a little while sure, but its not like we'd be filling that time adding some of these sexy names everyone thinks we should
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
The FA market was not meant to put us over the hump.

It worked for the seahawks!

And they are steadily losing player over the next couple of years to pay the bill.
Share 49ersWebzone