LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Great Job by the Front Office...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yeah with all the upgrades denver has made they might be able to beat the rams when they play the nfc west this year. MAYBE!
It would be nice if we could keep Terrell. We need depth at safety with Reid having a couple of concussions in 1st year.

I keep fantasizing about Wilfork. How much could we splurge on him?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by crake49:
Has anyone noticed that this happens every year lately the way Baalke and Harbaugh run the team. The FA period starts and the Niners aren't making a big splash in the free agency marathon. Web Zone worriers worry that the team hasn't been aggressive enough - no big signings - no impact players - what are the Niners doing!!! And, this is always prior to a draft when they have a boatload of picks they've amassed.

You have almost 900 posts, you should know logic and reason have no place in NT.
the only thing that has shocked me is how active they were on the first day.. all good moves but that is a bit unusual. still when you can make some trades like they did and get some high reward,, very very low risk, you jump on it
Ahhhh but can Denver win the big one??? I'm not that impressed. Ward, Talib & Ware are good additions, but Ward & Talib get nicked up a lot. High risk high reward. But they have to be spending like they are because Manning is nearing his end soon, so go for broke, fk it. But it will bite them in the long run, cap-wise.

I like what we have done so far especially on a cap side of it. The Boldin deal was great, and the Bathea deal as well. Giving Wright a chance. he'll be in condition this go around. I believe now we are in a good spot to bring Brown back. Or do we draft a CB. We are in a great spot now. We can let brown walk and trade up and get Gilbert if they want that badly. We have the picks. Gabbert, eh. Will have his contract restructured too i believe. i think with our coaching he could be a serviceable backup. been done before. Martin, lol, he will have some sturdy competition.

Front office is building this team through the draft. that was how Walsh did it. He never was a fan of spending/going big in FA. So Kuddos so far. Feeling a great draft coming up!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by nj9er:
Word is Revis is going to the Patriots. If true at least another consistent conference championship loser is trying to go to next level.

The next level of salary cap Hell.
if they win one of the next 2 Sb is it worth it?
no. maybe that is why the 94 super bowl is my least favorite super bowl, the team was made up of free agents and older players which we were unable or unwilling to replace with younger ones which then led to our path to salary cap hell.

blasphemy!

Seriously. '94 was epic how can you spew such nonsense? I suppose since we have 5 championships you can say something like "least favorite." But I'd trade 5 years of mediocrity and "salary cap hell" for one Super Bowl win.
if I had to rate my favorite super bowl teams, 94 would be the least fav,, my opinion, so what? my opinion runs counter to those who think the niner history started with the 94 team. the only way we won was to bring in free agents like norton and deon in my opinion. you may be willing to go to salary cap hell and unravel all the good we have done in the last three years but not me. like i said , its not like we have such a looooooooong hill to climb to get to the super bowl.you do not need a major change, cept for roman, for us to win the super bowl in my opinion
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
It's driving me nuts build through draft, build through draft, build through draft. Guess what we built so well through draft that our picks can't make it on the field. We were one play from championship win, two plays from 2 more superbowl appearances. One play here, one play there. We need to get the guys so we don't have to rely on that one play that one call, that one dropped interception, the one missed FG. Seattle didn't and they manhandled the hands down best team in the AFC. Need to stop sitting on our hands and blow our load all over the league.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
It's driving me nuts build through draft, build through draft, build through draft. Guess what we built so well through draft that our picks can't make it on the field. We were one play from championship win, two plays from 2 more superbowl appearances. One play here, one play there. We need to get the guys so we don't have to rely on that one play that one call, that one dropped interception, the one missed FG. Seattle didn't and they manhandled the hands down best team in the AFC. Need to stop sitting on our hands and blow our load all over the league.
seattle did not manhandle us and only a couple inches in a pass to crabs was the difference, thats football. a pass that barely misses does not mean you go crazy and rent someone for 12 million dollars a year,, it means ck works on his game so the next time he makes that pass. its that simple
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Word is Revis is going to the Patriots. If true at least another consistent conference championship loser is trying to go to next level.

The next level of salary cap Hell.
if they win one of the next 2 Sb is it worth it?
no. maybe that is why the 94 super bowl is my least favorite super bowl, the team was made up of free agents and older players which we were unable or unwilling to replace with younger ones which then led to our path to salary cap hell.

blasphemy!

Seriously. '94 was epic how can you spew such nonsense? I suppose since we have 5 championships you can say something like "least favorite." But I'd trade 5 years of mediocrity and "salary cap hell" for one Super Bowl win.
if I had to rate my favorite super bowl teams, 94 would be the least fav,, my opinion, so what? my opinion runs counter to those who think the niner history started with the 94 team. the only way we won was to bring in free agents like norton and deon in my opinion. you may be willing to go to salary cap hell and unravel all the good we have done in the last three years but not me. like i said , its not like we have such a looooooooong hill to climb to get to the super bowl.you do not need a major change, cept for roman, for us to win the super bowl in my opinion

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I've been a fan for all of the Super Bowl wins so I can understand you ranking '94 as the "lowest." It just seems crazy to "rank" Super Bowl wins because they are so rare. Plus comparing the '94 team (which was the first year of the salary cap) to the teams of the 80's (no salary cap) is totally unfair. '94 was our last championship - are you saying you'd rather NOT win the Super Bowl than do what we did in '94?
I havent been impressed by the majority of transactions and "project players" management has brought in starting with B.Edwards. That list also includes B.Swain, R.Moss, M.Manningham, C.Hall, B.Jacobs, C.McCoy, N.Asumugha, J.Skelton, J.Baldwin, McBLT, and now B.Gabbert and a big wussie in J.Martin. Yes, I feel Incognito was out of line, but regardless, my perception of Martin is he's not cut out for the rigors of the NFL. I hope I'm proven wrong, but the majority of acquisitions haven't exactly been anything to get excited about in my opinion.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Wait until this season is over.

Patton may replace Crabtree
Looney may replace Iupati
Lattimore and Hunter may replace Gore
Carradine may replace J. Smith

We already started seeing it with Kilgore projected to replace Goodwin. And Culliver may replace Brown/Rogers.

This is the problem with being a successful team in the cap era. You only have so much cash to go around. That's why you draft the replacement for your current starters 2-3 years in advance. You can sign them cheaper, let them develop on the sidelines or work them into a rotation. And if you bust on a pick, it doesn't debilitate your entire season (A.J. Jenkins).

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for Furlow.
Originally posted by daWest:
I havent been impressed by the majority of transactions and "project players" management has brought in starting with B.Edwards. That list also includes B.Swain, R.Moss, M.Manningham, C.Hall, B.Jacobs, C.McCoy, N.Asumugha, J.Skelton, J.Baldwin, McBLT, and now B.Gabbert and a big wussie in J.Martin. Yes, I feel Incognito was out of line, but regardless, my perception of Martin is he's not cut out for the rigors of the NFL. I hope I'm proven wrong, but the majority of acquisitions haven't exactly been anything to get excited about in my opinion.

Do you like any of these guys?

Justin Smith
Takeo Spikes
Carlos Rogers
Donte Whitner
Jonathan Goodwin
Glen Dorsey
Dan Skuta

I know he was not the GM for Smith and Spikes, but he was the director of player personnel so he had influence. I think Baalke has done a good job with FA. I don't think there has been any FA that would be that "one piece" left for a championship team (like Deion in '94). But it is a bit frustrating watching all these other teams gobble up super stars while we do very little to improve the team. Our formula seems to be built for long term, sustained success, but it doesn't feel like we're gearing up for a championship THIS YEAR.
after what this team has done in the last 3 years esp last year when they were left for dead by fans like me at 1-2 and winning two playoff games in a row on the road and almost getting to the super bowl,,,,,,,, if you are not excited about this team, well i just do not know

for 3 years now we've been using the same formula and I think it's been figured out, I was hoping the front office would at least make a big splash somewhere..

imagine Kaep with Crabtree, Boldin, and Eric Decker!

now that excites!!

Free agency hasn't been "exciting" the last few years, but the team has gotten progressively better by approaching free agency wisely and getting excellent value to shore up weakness. Then they look to the draft to get the impact players that give us "excitement" on game days. History has shown that teams that look to make a big splash by picking up big names in free agency usually find out this does not work out so well. Yeah, it's nice to get a buzz out of a big name being added to the roster in FA, but who cares. In the end it's about building a team that gets deep into the playoffs each year. We have become elite with the formula that has worked for other elite teams like the Pats.
Off-season been average so far. Got a solid replacement for Whitner. Didn't give up much for Martin & Gabbert but so far. both guys have been below average players. Hopefully they can be coached up. I expect them to sign a free agent corner. Then they are going to work magic in the draft.
Not a bad job but are Gabbert and Martin the guys that will take us over the hump? Ask me it's status quo so far no better no worse. Where's the catalyst to get us over ? Is Bethea over Whitner the difference maker? I don't see it.

We could go all or nothing and sign Decker and trade for Revis.

Or bring in few mid round solid contributors who make key contributions. Break up a 3rd down pass. Catch that pass extend that drive.
Clog the gap on 4th and short. Where are these guys?

I think your being way to quick to judge these moves thinking we need star through FA to get us over the hump. Ask Dan Snyder how this works out? Baalke gets great value in FA that fills important holes usually with underperforming guys who come here and play better than what we had at the position they filled for us. We use very low or no picks and add vet experience usually at depth positions and sometimes we hit a homerun as in the case of Ahmad Brooks. We don't use all of our cap money on guys like Decker or Revis and overpay for the talent they bring. Instead we use the money to pay our own players securing the best ones to longer contracts. This formula has worked brilliantly.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Masterful moves by the front office. Especially the Martin pickup. Think that dude doesn't have a chip on his shoulder? He's an athlete. He's been called soft. A wimp. A loser. There are other names I dare not share.

Martin is an athlete. And he's coming back into the NFL as an extremely pissed off individual. I feel sorry for the Seahawk's defensive line next year. Well, not really. But it's a great pickup.

Same with our new backup QB. Harbaugh is going to coach that QB back into the upper echelon and trade him away for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in another year or two. Mark my words.

Masterful moves by the front office. Just masterful.

Yes..great value in both of those picks. A+ on the basis of value and potential which is all we have at this point. If you wiff on a few of these there is no devastating effects. If you hit on one occasionally like Ahmad Brooks and Dorsey your way ahead of the game.
Share 49ersWebzone