LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

The Power Struggle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
IMO they have a healthy relationship and work together fine. This is media driven BS, I'm sure some nobody in the 49ers FO knew of some minor arguments or disagreements whatever you want to call it (which IMO is healthy for a HC & GM to have BTW) and leaked something dumb and the media ran with it. It gained steam for 2 reasons, it's the off season & it happened before FA started & Harbaughs contract hasn't been extended (which big damn deal, he has 2 years left for God's sake).

Our FO and organization is very healthy, great, talented roster, cap situation is fine, new stadium, 3 fantastic years under current regime, young ascending QB, a ton of core players signed long term and the ability to get most of the guys they want in the next couple years extended as well. After a great draft this year in a deep class, a solid FA coup, our red shirt guys Tank, Lattimore (even Dial to some extent) our injured guys I.Williams, Culliver, Miller coming back, this team is going to be as good as any next year and right back in the SB hunt.

Not saying it will happen but it's very possible this team hosts SB 50 as the defending SB champions in Levi Stadium!
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I see teams spending millions on players, Talib 6 years 57 million, Byrd 6 years 56 million. That takes money away from players around them. The 49ers are playing the game at a different level. Signing players before they reach free agency and keeping the roster stocked with draft picks.

This. It will be interesting to see these teams try to resign their own free agents. In 2014, 2015, 2016, etc, most of our core guys will be here. I doubt Denver will be able to say the same.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Teams like the Bucs and Redskins throw money around to free agent players, and it doesn't get them anywhere. You focus that much money on 1-2 positions, and you decline in other positions.

And I think Baalke may be giving into some of Harbaugh's requests. I don't think Baalke would have executed the trade for Martin unless Harbaugh was on board. Dawson was resigned. While Whitner got a mega contract, we replaced him with another solid safety in Bethea. And I have to imagine Harbaugh wanted to get his hands on Blaine Gabbert.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Teams like the Bucs and Redskins throw money around to free agent players, and it doesn't get them anywhere. You focus that much money on 1-2 positions, and you decline in other positions.

And I think Baalke may be giving into some of Harbaugh's requests. I don't think Baalke would have executed the trade for Martin unless Harbaugh was on board. Dawson was resigned. While Whitner got a mega contract, we replaced him with another solid safety in Bethea. And I have to imagine Harbaugh wanted to get his hands on Blaine Gabbert.
I just hope the Gabbert deal works out for more than a year.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I just hope the Gabbert deal works out for more than a year.

Gabbert was/is one of the most surprising moves they've made in years. Everything else they did had some "Oh, sure" in it. So I have to think that Harbaugh believes in his ability to turn Gabbert around and then the team will have a surplus of QBs for future deals. Could be a Wow! kind of move in retrospect...or just a wasted late draft pick.

If anyone is familiar with the history of the transition tag would you please give us some insight? Alex Mack has been tagged, which means Cleveland can match any offer made within five days and keep him. My question is--how often does that happen? I could see the 9ers having enough room under the cap this year to take a flier for Mack on a short term deal, then renegotiating to add gauranteed money in a longer deal next year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by scooterhd:
or you make Harbaugh happy with a few minor moves involving 6th and 7th round picks, so that you can have your way with Day 1 and 2.

Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I mean, you could just as easily say Baalke is placating Harbaugh with castoffs that will be lucky to be in the league after the preseason is over.

But I'd never say that.

please, please
  • buck
  • Veteran

The choice of words-giving in-seems to indicate some residual belief in the existence of a power struggle between Baalke and Harbaugh.

Washington has been very, very quiet in free agency this year, and I think, and only think, that was also the case last year.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency
[ Edited by buck on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:33 AM ]
NOT "giving in" it's collaboration.

If Baalke didn't think the talent and potential was there - it NEVER would have happened.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
NOT "giving in" it's collaboration.

If Baalke didn't think the talent and potential was there - it NEVER would have happened.

You and Buck are absolutely right - poor choice of words on my part.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I see teams spending millions on players, Talib 6 years 57 million, Byrd 6 years 56 million. That takes money away from players around them. The 49ers are playing the game at a different level. Signing players before they reach free agency and keeping the roster stocked with draft picks.

This. It will be interesting to see these teams try to resign their own free agents. In 2014, 2015, 2016, etc, most of our core guys will be here. I doubt Denver will be able to say the same.
You both hit the nail on the head. My friend was laughing at me when I told him the only team that will have success in the years to come is the 49ers and our Hawks. The media and fans of other teams drum up s**t like the rift with your front office. Though a lot of you won't agree with me, but I believe both teams are a lot alike. Both teams are not scared to release players that were playing fine but do not fit into the teams scheme. It's like watching both coaches in college all over again. Have a great core of players then bring in some cogs. Always preach competition and if you fall off, your gone. Some say both teams lost some great players, but those players were great because of the scheme. Neither team has fallen into the trap of overpaying a mediocre player. Your front office has done the same as us in bringing in talent that no one else saw and only asking them to do what they do best. Even if either team is not the top next year, each team is building for the long haul not the JUST WIN NOW mentality. It's going to be fun for the next few years to watch us battle for the top spot in the NFL and NFCW. As a real fan I don't miss a game of your team. Unlike others I like watching my rivals top talent perform each week. Good luck next year gentlemen, it's going to be fun.

Originally posted by TWOooohSIX:
You both hit the nail on the head. My friend was laughing at me when I told him the only team that will have success in the years to come is the 49ers and our Hawks. The media and fans of other teams drum up s**t like the rift with your front office. Though a lot of you won't agree with me, but I believe both teams are a lot alike. Both teams are not scared to release players that were playing fine but do not fit into the teams scheme. It's like watching both coaches in college all over again. Have a great core of players then bring in some cogs. Always preach competition and if you fall off, your gone. Some say both teams lost some great players, but those players were great because of the scheme. Neither team has fallen into the trap of overpaying a mediocre player. Your front office has done the same as us in bringing in talent that no one else saw and only asking them to do what they do best. Even if either team is not the top next year, each team is building for the long haul not the JUST WIN NOW mentality. It's going to be fun for the next few years to watch us battle for the top spot in the NFL and NFCW. As a real fan I don't miss a game of your team. Unlike others I like watching my rivals top talent perform each week. Good luck next year gentlemen, it's going to be fun.

Yes it will be. A true test will come for us both once we have to pay our going QBs. How we continue to manage the roster will say aplenty
  • buck
  • Veteran
Cold War over? Baalke, Harbaugh appear to be working together

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/cold-war-over-baalke-harbaugh-appear-to-be-working-together.html
Un-named sources are reported to be saying that Baalke is furious over the "walrus incident" and has privately complained to York that he just cannot work with a coach who is known to be lying down and exercising with walruses. Some of Mike Florio's contacts in the building have told him that the issue came to a head when Harbaugh came back from Six Flags and breathlessly informed Baalke that he "had found the team's new nose tackle and she's a beauty!" This "walrus incident" may tear the team apart. According to Tim Kawakaki, the locker room is totally divided between pro-walrus and anti-walrus players. Culliver has been quoted as saying that he's extremely uncomfortable with the idea of a female walrus in the showers.
  • buck
  • Veteran
from MM on Fangio contract

The Sacramento Bee first reported the news. No contract terms were reported. Assistant coaches typically work on two-year contracts with deals that are extended a year after every season.

One source told CSNBayArea.com all of the assistant coaches received one-year extensions. There was a budget in place for the assistant coaches, and Harbaugh worked with general manager Trent Baalke to determine how to allocate the money.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/harbaugh-gets-wish-fangio-receives-pay-raise
Share 49ersWebzone