There are 275 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Just rewatched the tape and here is my assessment:

71 Jonathan Martin (OT & G) – As a starting RT he looked good. His pass protection and selling the roll-out right was perfect. Not sure of all the hate for him either. Poor pull block (fell down or tripped up; hard to see) on the 2nd down Hampton sprint to the edge. At LT, he instantly had a false start and was subpar. He's much better suited for RT to me but as a swing-T, he needs to play both and at a high level. Keep in mind that when he played on the left side, he was next to Snyder who just absolutely BLOWS in pass protection. How this dude is still here with us is mind boggling to me. Very nice fire-off block in 2Q from LT. In all, played very comfortable on the right side and mixed bags in the left. Also, keep an eye on #69 LT Bykowski and RT #62 Ryan Seymour. They both played well.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/179148-winners-losers-preseason-game/page18/#HTxd2dqm24xVvg2B.99

Thank god for you NC. A voice of reason in preseason madness. Forget the narrative on both sides. Martin wasn't good but he wasn't awful. It was his first game back from a tornado of a season in Miami. Not to mention he had mono. I'm not trying to baby Martin but writing him off is ridiculous because you could possibly be cutting a potential starter. He needs work in the run game for sure but his pass pro was solid. Good movement and good hand placement. I'm excited to see if this first game was just the shaking off of some cobwebs.

Hope he improves. He seriously needs to hit the weight room to get more power. He's a young guy, he should be able to develop that. He's better for a green bay type offense than a power run offense in my opinion.
Originally posted by Giedi:
He's better for a green bay type offense than a power run offense in my opinion.

I think he's better fit for a Wendy's or Jack In the Box. But not the drive thru because he doesn't have enough confidence for that kind of pressure.
Hope he improves. He seriously needs to hit the weight room to get more power. He's a young guy, he should be able to develop that. He's better for a green bay type offense than a power run offense in my opinion.

I agree. I just think he has good technique and really just needs to develop his strength. Lets says this coaching staff gets him for 3 years. That 3rd year could really translate into a starting position. Honestly if he was stronger he could play left tackle after Staley winds it down. Its so ridiculous to write Martin off because he's not strong enough because the body can still develo
At his age. His technical ability can not but he can still get more savvy at that. You can patch it up but he has the feet of tackle and this game showed that. I really hope they develop martin.
[ Edited by eonblue on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
This dude will hurt JM http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000375952/article/michael-sam-makes-debut-in-rams-preseason-opener
This fool is such a joke of a football player he was owned once again today by the Baltimore pass rush, so glad to hear Anthony Davis is close to returning cuz this chump is just taking up roster space.

Baalke 2014 trades 0-2

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
This fool is such a joke of a football player he was owned once again today by the Baltimore pass rush, so glad to hear Anthony Davis is close to returning cuz this chump is just taking up roster space.

Baalke 2014 trades 0-2

Did you include the Stevie Johnson trade amongst the other draft day specials?

Baalke 2014 trades 0-2

It helps not to close your eyes when you watch the game. The notion that Martin was "owned" is laughable.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Baalke 2014 trades 0-2

Did you include the Stevie Johnson trade amongst the other draft day specials?

Honest mistake i forgot we also traded for him mah bad.(excluding draft pick)

1-2

I'm calling that Bykowski beats out Martin for the swing tackle job.
He may need a psychiatric help

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

You will be wrong
Didn't Martin lose about 10+ lbs. of muscle this past offseason due to illness? Is it possible that he is still working back up to his ideal playing size?
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

You will be wrong

Don't know if bykowski has quicker feet than Martin plus the experience in this offense Stanford included
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
He's better for a green bay type offense than a power run offense in my opinion.

I think he's better fit for a Wendy's or Jack In the Box. But not the drive thru because he doesn't have enough confidence for that kind of pressure.

I don't know why he's being killed at this level, but he is. My hope is that he is much better run blocking than he is pass blocking. And he improves the strength. NC said he was better at RT than LT and I believe that's because right tackles run block more than they pass block.
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Didn't Martin lose about 10+ lbs. of muscle this past offseason due to illness? Is it possible that he is still working back up to his ideal playing size?

True and the kid will get a year with Uyeyama and he will be fine
Share 49ersWebzone