LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Shorteous:
I'm really not sure what game people were watching last night.

This. A lot of people seem to be rooting for Martin to fail, so much that it has blurred all objectivity.

He wasnt great nor bad, he had a couple of iffy moments but otherwise was solid last night. The OL overall was decent, especially for a first preseason game with the entire right side having never played together before.

You may now return to your previously scheduled torches, pitchforks and all around hysterical overreaction.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM ]
Just rewatched the tape and here is my assessment:

71 Jonathan Martin (OT & G) – As a starting RT he looked good. His pass protection and selling the roll-out right was perfect. Not sure of all the hate for him either. Poor pull block (fell down or tripped up; hard to see) on the 2nd down Hampton sprint to the edge. At LT, he instantly had a false start and was subpar. He's much better suited for RT to me but as a swing-T, he needs to play both and at a high level. Keep in mind that when he played on the left side, he was next to Snyder who just absolutely BLOWS in pass protection. How this dude is still here with us is mind boggling to me. Very nice fire-off block in 2Q from LT. In all, played very comfortable on the right side and mixed bags in the left. Also, keep an eye on #69 LT Bykowski and RT #62 Ryan Seymour. They both played well.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/179148-winners-losers-preseason-game/page18/#HTxd2dqm24xVvg2B.99
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
I'm really not sure what game people were watching last night.

This. A lot of people seem to be rooting for Martin to fail, so much that it has blurred all objectivity.

He wasnt great nor bad, he had a couple of iffy moments but otherwise was solid last night. The OL overall was decent, especially for a first preseason game with the entire right side having never played together before.

You may now return to your previously scheduled torches, pitchforks and all around hysterical overreaction.

You're a wise man!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I'm pretty sure a lot of peeps didn't watch the game and are feeding off the negative talk because it is somehow amusing to them. I joke around too but I'm not giving up hope, yet. I want to see where he's at after fully recovered from mono and a few ps games in... before any serious judgment.

Originally posted by NCommand:

71 Jonathan Martin (OT & G) – As a starting RT he looked good. His pass protection and selling the roll-out right was perfect. Not sure of all the hate for him either. Poor pull block (fell down or tripped up; hard to see) on the 2nd down Hampton sprint to the edge. At LT, he instantly had a false start and was subpar. He's much better suited for RT to me but as a swing-T, he needs to play both and at a high level. Keep in mind that when he played on the left side, he was next to Snyder who just absolutely BLOWS in pass protection. How this dude is still here with us is mind boggling to me. Very nice fire-off block in 2Q from LT. In all, played very comfortable on the right side and mixed bags in the left. Also, keep an eye on #69 LT Bykowski and RT #62 Ryan Seymour. They both played well.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/179148-winners-losers-preseason-game/page18/#HTxd2dqm24xVvg2B.99

Thx for the info and (especially) the encouragement....
Let's review. SanDiego49er thinks they should cut Jonathan Martin. NCommand thinks Jonathan Martin looked good at RT and he's "not sure of all the hate for him."

Pop quiz: based on past performance, which of these posters has more credibility?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
LOLLL the zone's new whipping boy. Kwame would be jealous.

no,, dahl still is
Originally posted by cciowa:

no,, dahl still is

Actually, if you go over to the Blaine Gabbert thread, you'll know who is the new whipping boy. There's a piling on party going on over there to beat the band.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by cciowa:

no,, dahl still is

Actually, if you go over to the Blaine Gabbert thread, you'll know who is the new whipping boy. There's a piling on party going on over there to beat the band.
yes you are correct,, as a matter of fact i just was there and backed you up in regards to the mob and pitchforks you and i are gabberts only friends over there,,, and i am pretty much an a*****e so with friends like that, who needs serial killers?
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
J-MART....open for business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

lol!

no breaks on holidays?

Never
Let's review. SanDiego49er thinks they should cut Jonathan Martin. NCommand thinks Jonathan Martin looked good at RT and he's "not sure of all the hate for him."

Pop quiz: based on past performance, which of these posters has more credibility?

SanDiego49er!

This guys totally missed a block yesterday....(Willy May's Hayes) style slide.

SanDiego49er!

Okay! That's one vote for SanDiego!
I think of this when people mention Jonathan powder-puff Martin:

when we plucked Seymour last year from Seattle, i thought he was a Guard?

Thank god for you NC. A voice of reason in preseason madness. Forget the narrative on both sides. Martin wasn't good but he wasn't awful. It was his first game back from a tornado of a season in Miami. Not to mention he had mono. I'm not trying to baby Martin but writing him off is ridiculous because you could possibly be cutting a potential starter. He needs work in the run game for sure but his pass pro was solid. Good movement and good hand placement. I'm excited to see if this first game was just the shaking off of some cobwebs.
Share 49ersWebzone