LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by xcfan:
martin just had mono before camp; you have to cut him some slack.
you're not your true self for a few weeks after, and you lose all the fitness during down time.

Did he have mono in Miami? Cuz he sucked there too.
This guy is Boones leverage. Nobody in their right mind wants to watch this guy start.... ever. Martin is a huge downgrade and Boone knows it.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by xcfan:
martin just had mono before camp; you have to cut him some slack.
you're not your true self for a few weeks after, and you lose all the fitness during down time.

Did he have mono in Miami? Cuz he sucked there too.

I hear you catch mono from persistent sucking.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I hear you catch mono from persistent sucking.

Literally? Be careful, sticks and stones breaks bones
and even words breaks this guy lol
Give the guy a chance before you all starts jumping off the cliff. Should change the name of this site to 49erspaniczone.com
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Okay for the record, the rap on Martin here is based on ONE one-on-one pass blocking drill and the rest is PURE hearsay until I see more "scouting reports saying that everyone beats him" and it better not be any one of the Cohns. As far as I can tell, I've not hear much at all about Martin and I've been following pretty closely I think. Most times writers post the highlights and low lights of practice and rarely talk about the mundane. If some of you "keep reading he gets beat" I would really like to see the evidence (and this needs to be more than ONE practice on ONE day).

Actually I've read more about Tank not being ready, Ian Williams prognosis coming back from his injury anytime soon becomes less likely, injuries at WR, RB and have only heard McDonald is great sometimes has big drops at others.

Agree about all the Martin stuff. Some of the dudes in here are worse than ESPN keeping old stories going. And Wtf is with calling him gay? He's emotional and doesn't like being emotionally and verbally abused so he's gay? That's pretty f**kin ignorant.

It seems to me like there's been a lot of good stuff about Carradine looking great.

Why you gotta talk about "Gay" like it's a bad thing? Bunch of RACISTS around this b*tch.
we have no depth at Tackle, it concerns me
Whats with the hatr thread? Weve had plenty of developmental play on the line the last twoyears i dont remember anyone getting on looney kilgore bykowski like this.. Hope he keeps working hard and trains right.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Whats with the hatr thread? Weve had plenty of developmental play on the line the last twoyears i dont remember anyone getting on looney kilgore bykowski like this.. Hope he keeps working hard and trains right.

Because easy targets take very little effort to shoot. I'm with ya though
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we have no depth at Tackle, it concerns me

Yep. Hopefully it doesn't become an issue.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Is JMartin supposedly a better run blocker or pass blocker? If he's a better pass blocker, that means he must suck big time as a run blocker, being that he is not faring well in pass blocking drills this TC. Was hoping he could play in the jumbo package if he was a better run blocker. Last year, it was Kilgore and Snyder acting as the 2nd/3rd TEs when 49ers went jumbo. I suppose MMartin and Looney have their names in the hat for being in the jumbo package.

Good point re: the jumbo packages. As to Martin, I tihnk we need an objective skill set analysis from someone in here. One report I read today did say that it appears Martin hasn't fully regained his strength from Mono in the Spring. I "hope" that is it...granted he's getting tossed around by some gladiators in Okoye, Aldon, etc. but damn, at least refer to your technique and veteran savy if your strength isn't fully back!

Mayock's take: "First-round talent right here, tremendous arm length. I call him a little bit of a finesse player. Doesn't mean he's not tough, but he's so good with his feet and understands angles. I believe the Dolphins just got themselves a starter on either the right or left side."

Here are a couple of old scouting reports. 1st round talent according to the first 2. Overhyped according to the 3th.

1. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jonathan-martin?id=2533041

2. http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012jmartin.php

3. http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/jonathan-martin-55/
He's definitely going to be a major focus of mine for preseason. If he's not cutting it, we may have a serious issue.
  • thl408
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Is JMartin supposedly a better run blocker or pass blocker? If he's a better pass blocker, that means he must suck big time as a run blocker, being that he is not faring well in pass blocking drills this TC. Was hoping he could play in the jumbo package if he was a better run blocker. Last year, it was Kilgore and Snyder acting as the 2nd/3rd TEs when 49ers went jumbo. I suppose MMartin and Looney have their names in the hat for being in the jumbo package.

Good point re: the jumbo packages. As to Martin, I tihnk we need an objective skill set analysis from someone in here. One report I read today did say that it appears Martin hasn't fully regained his strength from Mono in the Spring. I "hope" that is it...granted he's getting tossed around by some gladiators in Okoye, Aldon, etc. but damn, at least refer to your technique and veteran savy if your strength isn't fully back!

Mayock's take: "First-round talent right here, tremendous arm length. I call him a little bit of a finesse player. Doesn't mean he's not tough, but he's so good with his feet and understands angles. I believe the Dolphins just got themselves a starter on either the right or left side."

Here are a couple of old scouting reports. 1st round talent according to the first 2. Overhyped according to the 3th.

1. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jonathan-martin?id=2533041

2. http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012jmartin.php

3. http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/jonathan-martin-55/

Thanks Deuh. The first two reports say he's a good run blocker. The last one says he's not. But this is all from his college playing days so I'll take that with a grain of salt. I'm more interested in how he's run blocked in the NFL.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Yeah, this is where Boone being out is annoying. Martin seems not to be a great tackle right now. I know he caught Mono or whatever, so hopefully by reg season start he's good, but having a backup tackle worth a s**t is really really important. Right now this guy might get Kap killed. Boone can backup both spots and start at RG which is an incredibly awesome luxury to have.

I'm not gonna hate on the guy too hard yet, even though a lot of the jokes are funny. He's playing with the best team in the league now and going against prolly the top Dline in the game. We'll definitely see if he has what it takes.
Doesn't sound like he's having the best camp. He'll get his chance to shine as our starting RT against the Ravens.
Share 49ersWebzone