LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'll reserve judgement until we see him play in pre-season, but reports coming out of camp are not encouraging. Seems like the entire d-line is taking turns schooling this kid. Can't handle the bull-rush and his hand fighting technique sucks. Pure finesse player at this point. He'll never make it at this rate.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I don't feel confident that JM earns a spot on the 53.

Man I wish we had Rams on preseason schedule.

I'd love to see that cat fight between JM and Michael Sam (all that pushing, slapping, rolling on the ground....).
I still have hope for this fvckboi. Probably learned a lot of bad habits and poor technique with the fins. I think Solari and the Harbs will eventually get this guy back to stud status.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
^^ good point on "bad habits and poor technique"

I think he had a set back and kinda rushed into camp... maybe he can be fixed in time
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'll reserve judgement until we see him play in pre-season, but reports coming out of camp are not encouraging. Seems like the entire d-line is taking turns schooling this kid. Can't handle the bull-rush and his hand fighting technique sucks. Pure finesse player at this point. He'll never make it at this rate.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

lol don't be sad. There's still time for him to turn it around. He's back in his comfort zone playing for Harbaugh, and is experienced in the offense. He has to get physically and mentally stronger though.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think he lost part of his confidence with the Miami situation and everything. Needs to get his nastiness back. There's still time, but he needs to make it happen before someone leap frogs him on the depth chart.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think he lost part of his confidence with the Miami situation and everything. Needs to get his nastiness back. There's still time, but he needs to make it happen before someone leap frogs him on the depth chart.

Lol "get his nastiness back."?? Has he ever had any?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Lol "get his nastiness back."?? Has he ever had any?

Yeah, maybe I should say get his sassy back.
I thought this trade would "suit" him, but didn't he get pancaked twice yesterday?

That thought doesn't calm my worries about OL depth if Boone or Iupati leave.

Anytime your getting owned by a Brit it's time to go! I felt bad for Martin last year and then the more details that came out the more I was convinced maybe Martin just can't make it in an NFL locker room. Maybe he's just not tough enough or just not good enough? He seems to lack that mean nasty streak in his play. He literally got ran over once a game with the Dolphins and it sounds like not much has changed. I know he was sick but I think that's just another excuse. It's to bad for him and us we really need the depth with Alex out of camp.
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
Anytime your getting owned by a Brit it's time to go! I felt bad for Martin last year and then the more details that came out the more I was convinced maybe Martin just can't make it in an NFL locker room. Maybe he's just not tough enough or just not good enough? He seems to lack that mean nasty streak in his play. He literally got ran over once a game with the Dolphins and it sounds like not much has changed. I know he was sick but I think that's just another excuse. It's to bad for him and us we really need the depth with Alex out of camp.

I thought I heard that in one of his texts he blamed his mom for raising him in so many words "soft"? It doesn't seem like he had to scrap much in his upbringing or had to face adversity like some might have due to his privileged upbringing. Despite this fact JMart has a second round skill set and he just has to dig deep and find that bitter competitive fire required to make a go of this thing. I still think he can help us and he ain't but 24yo so he can use another year and an offseason with our staff and trainers to see if he can make that jump
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 4, 2014 at 5:45 AM ]
I think its more likely he's just not strong or athletic enough .
He's the only lineman that has a daily report like this:

"(Insert Dlineman) knocked Jonathan Martin on his backside in one on ones."
[ Edited by WilliamDonovan on Aug 4, 2014 at 6:38 AM ]
Hes actually not having a bad camp, he was completely drained from mono. By the time the 4th preseason game rolls around Martin will be fine. Every lineman gets beat, but he is holding his own. Dont forget he is seeing new competition now. Elite competiion, not the crap he had to go through in MIami. Its a new level for him here.
Share 49ersWebzone