LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yup. If you hire a clown, the circus is sure to follow. This guy is a chump through and through.

Totally agree, but he's still probably better than a 6th-round rookie; so I have no problem with trading for him. I hope a young guy beats him out for a roster spot, but if nobody does, they could do a lot worse at tackle(backup) than Martin IMO.

Did he even pass his physical

I don't remember reading anything specific on it but I believe he would have had to pass the physical for the trade to be complete.

Its funny how we hear about it a lot, but with him it's was quite

Huh?
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Huh?

Like with all our trades..we always hear pending physical, he passed/didn't pass...with JM I don't think anything hit the press about his physical...

Just seems wired to me

Edit..did a search seen the headlines...just still seems odd to me
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jun 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM ]
Ugh, making something out of nothing.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I don't know, I was kinda hoping to get a glimpse of J. Martin vs Michael Sam, that would be an epic battle...

One will push, one will shove. One is used for protection, the other is used for penetration.

Martin gets pancaked, rolls over onto belly, Michael ceases the opportunity...

just sayin............
  • ethan
  • Veteran
I think I took a wrong turn. It sounds like a seventh grade classroom in here.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Mike Solari will have Martin ready to rumble when the time comes ...I have faith in our coaching staff to prepare the team and put the best unit out on the field , Martin being a former 1st rounder should be ready to answer the bell

I think Martin is one of our gambles that probably won't pay off. I think he lacks the requisite mental toughness to make it. Making it in the NFL is all about how you handle adversity, on the field and off it. Some people just don't respond well to negative pressure (aka adversity)....Martin strikes me as one of those.

He's worth the gamble....but I don't think he'll work out for us.

Harbaugh was his college coach and he did well when he was with Harbaugh in college so I'm betting this experiment will work out.
The NFL is a COMPLETELY different animal than college. Martin is soft and he's been exposed, just not cut out for this.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Harbaugh was his college coach and he did well when he was with Harbaugh in college so I'm betting this experiment will work out.

Agreed. I think because he's now in a environment with true professionals as opposed to jagoffs with an adolescent mentality he'll be able to concentrate on football and excel as he did at Stanford. It's hard enough to succeed in the NFL without needless distractions from a couple of lunatics like Incognito and Mr. "Free Aaron Hernandez" Pouncy.

Maybe he's soft for not being able to confront these guys and settle things man to man, but we don't know everything those clowns were pulling. All I know is we picked up a young 2nd round pick for a conditional 2015 7th round pick and I'm glad to have him on the roster.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Who do you expect to see through training camp / pre season. The 1st. Martin or the 2nd. Martin ?

1st.

2nd.

Originally posted by ethan:

Right. Seventh grade. That may be the last time I heard guys snickering about someone coming down with mononucleosis. I can't help but be amused by armchair prognosticators sitting at their keyboards with a bag of Cheetos musing about how someone like Jonathan Martin is "soft." Soft? NOBODY in the NFL is soft. Nobody that starts for a division I football team is soft. Give me a break. Martin just may be someone who doesn't perform well when he's surrounded by psychopaths like Richie Incognito, that's all.
Originally posted by crake49:

I can't help but be amused by armchair prognosticators sitting at their keyboards with a bag of Cheetos musing about how someone like Jonathan Martin has any value.Give me a break.

Fixed
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jul 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM ]
Right. Seventh grade. That may be the last time I heard guys snickering about someone coming down with mononucleosis. I can't help but be amused by armchair prognosticators sitting at their keyboards with a bag of Cheetos musing about how someone like Jonathan Martin is "soft." Soft? NOBODY in the NFL is soft. Nobody that starts for a division I football team is soft. Give me a break. Martin just may be someone who doesn't perform well when he's surrounded by psychopaths like Richie Incognito, that's all.

Bumping this as it covers the subject quite well!
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:

I can't help but be amused by armchair prognosticators sitting at their keyboards with a bag of Cheetos musing about how someone like Jonathan Martin has any value.Give me a break.

Fixed

That's your fix, keyboard cowboy. And, I'm sure you think you know more about NFL talent than Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh. Take another handful of cheetos and imagine that you could be a tenth as tough as Jonathan Martin on your best day.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Bumping this as it covers the subject quite well!

Thank you. Nice to know that there are grownups on this forum.
Share 49ersWebzone