LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 184 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here's a stat that no one ever seems to address:
Blaine Gabbert ranked 37 out of 37 on 3rd downs, converting only 18 times out of 80 tries.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Gabbert played as well or better than Kap did in 2015.

Gabbert also made 6 times less than Kap. Think about that.

Kap needs to get traded as he refuses to change his mechanics and footwork.

One is battling some serious psychological demons and bruised ego and lacks maturity and the other is feeling a rebirth and can't wait to get started.
I think a lot of that, at least for me, is a big part of why I think, at minimum, he needs to restructure his contract to stay with us. I don't care how much cap room we have. I think the biggest value of a restructure is in the possibility that Gabbert wins out in a QB comp - or a rookie, it then gives us a much more realistic chance to off-load him via trade. We'd be hard pressed to find a trade suitor for Colin if he's coming off of 2 seasons of regression, is 28 and still looking like a long-term project, as well as a 16 mil salary. If he was more around a 4-5 mil salary I think we find a trade suitor no problem. That way, if Gabbert comes out on top this off-season, we're in a great position to gain value via trade.

I'm with this...obviously!
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
Context. Big Ben had 460+ attempts, Gabbert had 282.

In nearly twice as many attempts, Ben had 48 3rd and long (7-10 yards) attempts. Gabbert had 55. That means Ben had roughly HALF as many 3rd and long attempts as Gabbert.

Ben had twice as many 3rd/4th and short. On 3rd and medium (4-6 yards), Ben had nearly triple the attempts as Gabbert.

You convert more 3rd downs when they're short third downs, and it's easier to throw 2-5 yards past the sticks when you only need 3 yards for the first.

Roethlisberger

Gabbert

In case anyone was wondering what those % were:

Roethlisberger: 48/473 - 10.1% of the time BR faced a 3rd and 7+ passing situation

Gabbert: 55/282 - 19.5% of the time

On average, Gabbert was twice as likely to face a 3rd and 7" situation

It's even worse when you realize that of those attempts, 67% of Gabbert's 3rd and 7+ were actually 3rd and 10+ (37/55)

By comparison, BR's was 56% (27/48)

Great stuff you too.

The bold is what I have been posting about as THE major issue with our offensive schemes since forever. First down production has sucked here even during HaRoman and with all those weapons.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great stuff you too.

The bold is what I have been posting about as THE major issue with our offensive schemes since forever. First down production has sucked here even during HaRoman and with all those weapons.

It seems to exacerbate with a bad oline in 2015.

3rd&7+ is too predictable for the defense. They know you have to pass the ball in that situation. Kinda snowballed.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It seems to exacerbate with a bad oline in 2015.

3rd&7+ is too predictable for the defense. They know you have to pass the ball in that situation. Kinda snowballed.

Exactly. It used to be as simple as stacking up to 10 in the box and run blitzing. Now 2nd and 10+. Now drop back in nickel/dime and use a spy as needed (CK only). Now, 3rd and long, pass rush and bring the heat and punt.

But it started with the predictability and lack of production on first downs.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM ]
Blaine at his best we're looking at 8 wins
Kap at his best we're looking at a playoff run
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Blaine at his best we're looking at 8 wins
Kap at his best we're looking at a playoff run

This
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
SUNSHINE did superbly for the situation he landed... and it's just fair to say that he should be the QB to beat come HARD KNOCKS!!

he clearly outplayed Kaep and showed some flashes while at the same time also showed that he still a very very un-finished product. ..
Originally posted by 9moon:
SUNSHINE did superbly for the situation he landed... and it's just fair to say that he should be the QB to beat come HARD KNOCKS!!

he clearly outplayed Kaep and showed some flashes while at the same time also showed that he still a very very un-finished product. ..

Superbly?
I must have missed that and most of the flashes. He may have outplayed Kaepernick but they both sucked last year.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
the kinda year we had last year, Sunshine's plays had to fall under SUPERBLY considering how CRAPPY Kaep played ..

the kinda year we had last year, Sunshine's plays had to fall under SUPERBLY considering how CRAPPY Kaep played ..

One has nothing to do with the other.
Gabbert's play was not superb in any way.

why do you nickname everyone that you discuss? you can't just call them by there name? every discussion you ever start/hook on to, you have to give nicknames..
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
Facts and stats don't fit the narrative, so you can't use them.

Stats can be manipulated to fit any narrative. You should be quite familiar with that.
  • Stud

Yup. Kap was awful.
Blain is in a great situation right now. If he out performs kap and the mystery QB he will probably get an extension. If he plays well but kap or the mystery QB out plays him then Gabs put himself in a sotuation where other teams will want to trade for him. If he plays mediocre then he ends up as the number two again with a chance to start mid season if kap is the number 1.
Share 49ersWebzone