There are 272 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
The truth of the matter is that none of us really know what Gabbert is capable of doing being a good line in Kelly's offense. We have seen Gabberts floor but how high is his ceiling? As much as Gabberts haters will have you believe otherwise, there is a chance that Gabbert could flourish under Chip Kelly.
Cant the same be said for pretty much any QB who hasn't played in Kelly's system?

Not really. All QB's aren't a fit for all systems. Kelly requires a cerebral, accurate, QB with respectable mobility. Some are more mobile, some are more accurate, some understand the game more than others. You don't need a rocket arm,and the ability to carry a team on your legs to function in Kelly's offense, but you do need a good balance of the three things I mentioned above.

What makes you think Gabbrt is "cerebral"?

I meant a complete grasp of the play book and able to read abd react to defenses. Gabbert does that. Not all QB's do All three. Most in the NFL do. There are definitely QB's that aren't a great fit for Kelly to run his offense the way he wants to tin it. You statement that all QBs could flourish in Kelly's system is inaccurate.

I haven't really seen evidence of Gabbert doing a great job reading defenses or mastering playbooks.
I didn't make the statement that all QBs could flourish in Kelly's system.
I'm still trying to udnerstand what in Gabbert's game showed a complete understanding of the playbook. Where do people come up with this stuff? Does consistently hitting checkdowns make someone a master of the playbook?
The truth of the matter is that none of us really know what Gabbert is capable of doing being a good line in Kelly's offense. We have seen Gabberts floor but how high is his ceiling? As much as Gabberts haters will have you believe otherwise, there is a chance that Gabbert could flourish under Chip Kelly.
Cant the same be said for pretty much any QB who hasn't played in Kelly's system?

Not really. All QB's aren't a fit for all systems. Kelly requires a cerebral, accurate, QB with respectable mobility. Some are more mobile, some are more accurate, some understand the game more than others. You don't need a rocket arm,and the ability to carry a team on your legs to function in Kelly's offense, but you do need a good balance of the three things I mentioned above.

I meant a complete grasp of the play book and able to read abd react to defenses. Gabbert does that. Not all QB's do All three. Most in the NFL do. There are definitely QB's that aren't a great fit for Kelly to run his offense the way he wants to tin it. You statement that all QBs could flourish in Kelly's system is inaccurate.

I haven't really seen evidence of Gabbert doing a great job reading defenses or mastering playbooks.

"Cant the same be said for pretty much any QB who hasn't played in Kelly's system?"

Yes, you pretty much did.

"Cant the same be said for pretty much any QB who hasn't played in Kelly's system?"

No, I didn't.
Go back to where you just copied it from (a half a page up) and take a look at the name attached to the post. Jiminy Christmas, man.

No, I didn't.
Go back to where you just copied it from (a half a page up) and take a look at the name attached to the post. Jiminy Christmas, man.

Yep, wrong poster. Apologies.

No, I didn't.

No worries.
I think the quick short pass aspect of Gabbert's game that I was not thrilled with in 2015 could be put to good use in Kelly's system but I am not sold on Gabbert being particularly cerebral or mentally strong as a QB. I just haven't seen it.

No, I didn't.

No worries.
I think the quick short pass aspect of Gabbert's game that I was not thrilled with in 2015 could be put to good use in Kelly's system but I am not sold on Gabbert being particularly cerebral or mentally strong as a QB. I just haven't seen it.

Still on my phone, but scrolling up before I respond
I could see him scan the field, when he had any time to do so. And it looked to me coming in off the bench he did indeed have a grasp of the system. I don't know if he is the answer, but he seems to have the general tools. Kelly has done a lot of good things with QB's no one thought much of . We will know soon who he chooses.

No, I didn't.

That was me who posted that and to clarify I never said all QBs can succeed in Kelly's system or that all are even a good fit. Goodthings19 said we don't know what Blaine can do in Kelly's system and my point is that you can say that about any QB who has yet to play in his system so it's really a moot point.
Blaine Gabbert may be the starter for the San Francisco 49ers. Let that sink people, let it sink in real deep. Visions of 2000-2010. I have no problem of him proving me completely wrong, but I saw the same exact play as I saw at Jax & Missouri. Give me Kaep an bring in Chase Daniel as his backup.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Blaine Gabbert may be the starter for the San Francisco 49ers. Let that sink people, let it sink in real deep. Visions of 2000-2010. I have no problem of him proving me completely wrong, but I saw the same exact play as I saw at Jax & Missouri. Give me Kaep an bring in Chase Daniel as his backup.

Blaine is the devil. 666
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

I actually like Chase Daniel but I think Chip will have a tremendous amount of say in how the qb situation shakes out for the 2016 49ers. So if the 49ers draft a qb high or especially bring in one in free agency, it will be very telling of what Chip thinks of how the qb's currently at his disposal translate to his system.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Feb 10, 2016 at 7:29 AM ]

I'm not saying Blaine is the answer, but he looked much better last year than he did in Jacksonville. Not even close
Originally posted by njninersfan420:

I'm not saying Blaine is the answer, but he looked much better last year than he did in Jacksonville. Not even close

And his supporting cast certainly wasn't any better than what he had in Jacksonville. Personally, I would like to get to see what he can do under Kelly. That doesn't mean I am 100% convinced he will be the guy. We may see a new QB in place, and I am ok with that too.

Gabbert was the same as in Jax during the 2014 preseason. in 2015 he was way better. More accurate, quicker release, better decisions, and way more athletic.
Share 49ersWebzone