LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

49ers Release S Antoine Bethea *Updated 3/7/17*

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
What the F. We are plucking from a terrible Indy defense and planting him into a starting role? Do we want to lose?

He was one of the few guys that survived the Colts overhaul and has shown he can play in two totally different systems and play well.

He was one of the Colts best guys on D when they had a very good D and their D has been solid despite a big turnover and a lot of young guys.

Good player. Good signing.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
What the F. We are plucking from a terrible Indy defense and planting him into a starting role? Do we want to lose?

Yeah 49ers are no good with FA signings on defense i mean look at Glenn Dorsey... He was terrible with KC and terri... Wait no he was pretty good for the 49ers last year.
[ Edited by Jcool on Mar 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:

This guy is a thumper. He has a couple of hits that lead to fumbles. Clearly has more range then Whitner. 26 mil over 4 yrs is a great price because this guy is going to thrive in Fangios system.

Definitely makes the safety blitz a more viable wild card option if Fangio ever wants to pull it out at a key moment.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Originally posted by cory4903:
4 years 26 million

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/safety-dance-49ers-to-replace-whitner-with-bethea.html

Woah, wait a minute. We wouldn't pay Whitner 28, but we're going to pay him 26?

Whitner wanted to go home to Cleveland.

Plus the elephant in the room is Whitners coverage.
How long are his arms?
Originally posted by sspiker:
Everyone stop making declarative statements about the contract, especially compared to Whitner. Without knowing the details, including the year-by-year breakdown and the guarantees, there is absolutely no way to compare the contracts.

If you want an example, look at... I don't know, any contract ever signed in the NFL.

Agreed. point in had is the Boldin deal. Only costing $2.16 against the cap this yr. I'm sure it's not all guaranteed $$$ for AB
Originally posted by sspiker:
Everyone stop making declarative statements about the contract, especially compared to Whitner. Without knowing the details, including the year-by-year breakdown and the guarantees, there is absolutely no way to compare the contracts.

If you want an example, look at... I don't know, any contract ever signed in the NFL.

Agreed. point in had is the Boldin deal. Only costing $2.16 against the cap this yr. I'm sure it's not all guaranteed $$$ for AB
We upgraded. This is a good signing and good day.

Plus if we draft a young corner at least we have a good, veteran safety back there.

Like I said, he is much better in coverage than Whitner and Whitner's hard hitting style is useless in todays NFL

didnt brady and alex smith tear the colts defense apart. i dont like this move...
lol at all the knee jerk reactions

Better tackler than Whitner

Bethea's Tackling Efficiency: 15.7 tackles per miss. Whitner: 11.7. Mike Adams and Kenny Vaccaro top the list with 32 and 26.7 #49ers
For some reason I think this deal isn't legit. No reports on NFL network or ESPN network. Anybody have an NFL or ESPN link?
as long as he's better in coverage and doesn't get flagged every other game for big hits, then I'm all for it.
I love this signing!! I dont wanna hear anyone cry about this! I will take this over any rookie safety for the next season and he is way better in coverage and although they didnt save much money... what they did save was very useful at this juncture trying to get Brown signed or a backup QB, C, and or WR.

Love it!!!
With as quick as the FO signed him, it seems like they had a plan to replace winter all along......
Share 49ersWebzone