Concerned about the Secondary??

Originally posted by 951NINER:
What about Spillman replacing Whitner?

good lord no
Originally posted by wailers15:

good lord no

He seems like more in the FS mold (which is what we need). Seems like a heady player but also an ace on ST as well. We shouldn't count him out like we did Brock. Either way, like Dahl, he is key depth and a big bonus on ST!
Sign Browner and move him to SS.

....bet you all didn't see that one coming.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by wailers15:

good lord no

He seems like more in the FS mold (which is what we need). Seems like a heady player but also an ace on ST as well. We shouldn't count him out like we did Brock. Either way, like Dahl, he is key depth and a big bonus on ST!

Yeah more like a FS, but he is best suited for ST, & coming in to spell a player here and there, but he has proven that he is not that great in pass d, as is Dahl
With the signing of Bethea, CB is lookin more and more realistic for a 1st rd. Def expect to go after a SS in the late 2nd now, a Joyner type guy who will be there
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
That's pretty much unfathomable. Where did I even near mentioning that.

I'm talking about replacing three players in our backfield. As we're looking to pay our existing players more. Culliver is coming off a significant knee injury and so is Tank (totally unproven in the NFL). Justin Smith is going to be 35 this year. And who knows how long the team MVP is out.

PFF had Whitner rated as our 5th best player (and 6th best S in the league) and Bowman as our 2nd best player. And to be fair. Rodgers was rated barely above Nnamdi, but Rogers isn't anyone I'm worried about covering (heh).

I was fine with Goldson leaving last year. But I think not only is our FO going to have to be sharper in the FA with less money, but they're going to have to have a better draft than the 2013 and a much better draft than 2012.

I have no problem changing my position as new facts come to light. But this offseason has plenty of question marks for the defense.

Most of this is spot on,we definatly will have to make better draft decisions this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
our safety signing who is a better all around player than whitner made me feel good. we are set there. sounds like we are pursuing a nice cb from miami,, i am more than happy to let the front office and coaches figure it out,. they have done very well so far today in my opinion
I like the upgrade of bethea over whitner just have to see if we land revis after his release and boom
Already a very very good CB group: Brock is a lock @ #1 but now you have Culliver, Wright and Morris competing for starting spots as well and all have at least some experience on the field in 2013 and a full year under our system. Plus you have a nice mix of rookie-veteran in Reid & Bethea now with the usual ST and depth behind them in Dahl and Spillman. And you know we'll also draft a top CB (can now trade up if we want). And it's only 3 hours after the FA opening. So again, "Na,we'll be ok!"

Screw that...we may end up BETTER!
Tampa Bay Buccaneers CB Darrelle Revis informed the Bucs that he prefers to be dealt to the 49ers if he had his choice sources tell Pro Football Central . Other teams such as the Browns are making a hard push to acquire the former Jet.

Originally posted by Niners4ever:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers CB Darrelle Revis informed the Bucs that he prefers to be dealt to the 49ers if he had his choice sources tell Pro Football Central . Other teams such as the Browns are making a hard push to acquire the former Jet.

He wants to face Sherman! Then again, he said the same thing last year as well. You want a championship? Come here for $5M and build your legacy. You've had your money!
Originally posted by NCommand:

He wants to face Sherman! Then again, he said the same thing last year as well. You want a championship? Come here for $5M and build your legacy. You've had your money!

Oh s**t the media will be all over that.
Not worried at all. When Harbaugh first came in here he picked up a bunch of FA's that nobody wanted and turned them into a legit secondary. He did it once. He can do it again.

The only reason that Whitner is getting a big payday is thanks to Harbaugh and the players that Harbaugh put around him.
After signing Bethea and Wright, I feel quite a bit better. Bethea is a quality player, very productive and plays exceptionally smart. 13 penalties in 8 seasons, are you kidding me. Of those, only 3 were PF's, that's outstanding. Wright could now be the most experienced vet CB...I'm not expecting Brown to stay, given some of the alarmingly high contracts CB's all over the league are now signing. It's one of the reasons I hope Baalke brings in Nolan Carroll, because he's a rising CB, great size and shouldn't be too expensive. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with two more experienced vets behind Brock & Cully.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i am sure he would,, he comes cheap or he does not come at all in my opinion
Share 49ersWebzone