LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Concerned about the Secondary??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Concerned about the Secondary??

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Everyone always wants the sexy addition come free agency but the reality of our situation just doesn't lend itself to that. The 49ers are valuing its LB's and front 7 very high and that means not as much dough for the back end. The MO of Baalke has been to wait until the first wave of signings are complete and look for bargains. Not great talents, but guys who would work well in Fangio's system. The good news is our front 7 is so good that the back-end doesn't need to be as good as other teams to have some success. The Seahawks are an anomaly because they are all young and cheap. That's about to change for them.

What you might see is a stable, average veteran presence who is good enough to start but not so good that he couldn't be pushed by a rookie. The interesting part is what value the 49ers place on their needs. Ie. which comes first? the CB? the safety? the wide receiver? The thinness of our roster here is starting to show as Baalke has had a couple of terrible drafts lately.

I'm glad you brought that up, and I don't want to hijack this thread by going off on a slight tangent, but you raised a concern I have as the 49ers begin to draft for need. I agree with you that Baalke seems to allot most of the cap room (on the defensive side) to the front7 - a good philosophy to building a team defense. As the 49ers use high draft choices on the secondary (Reid in 2013) and perhaps a CB/SS drafted high in 2014, are the 49ers supposed to just let Reid and this blue chip CB walk when it comes time for them to get paid? Logic would say "no". But if that's not the case, and these young DBs are extended, then the cap allotment will slowly drift towards the secondary. Just something for us to think about 3-4 years down the line.

Interesting,thats a tangent well worth going off on lol.Glad you brought that up.

Maybe those guys do walk in time.As long as we stay strong up front and we continue to recycle db's,im fine with them walking.I agree that the front seven is the most important part.But thats alot to hope for honestly.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Just out of curiosity,what worries you about this situation??

Well, I do tend to worry.

I do not think that we have much depth at safety.
If we end up starting a rookie and Reid, there will not be much accumulated experience at the position.

I generally feel good about Brock and Culliver, but it might take Culliver a while to recover fully from his injury.

I am hoping that Morris can prove that he is capable of covering the slot receiver. I believe that he has both the speed and short area quickness to do so, but as of now there is not much to justify my belief.

[ Edited by buck on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I tend to worry about such things.

I do have confidence in the front office and the coaching staff.

Bottom line, I worry.

You know what some people say. If you're not worried, you're not paying attention.
Just out of curiosity,what worries you about this situation??

Well, I do tend to worry.

I do not think that we have much depth at safety.
If we end up starting a rookie and Reid, there will not be much accumulated experience at the position.

I generally feel good about Brock and Culliver, but it might take Culliver a while to recover fully from his injury.

I am hoping that Morris can prove that he is capable of covering the slot receiver. I believe that he has both the speed and short area quickness to do so, but as of now there is not much to justify my belief.

I tend to overthink things myself so I feel you lol.

Your points about accumelated experience and depth are right on the money. Morris is an unproven commodity,so as of now until proven otherwise,I have no faith there yet either.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Agree, BZ. Carroll might be the exception...he hasn't been a starter for that long and arguably won't command salaries like many other more experienced players. I'd love to see Baalke sign Charles Tillman...maybe a 2 yr contract. He's still got good skills but his biggest value would be to mentor the younger CB's. Couldn't ask for a better guy to do that. Which position comes first in the draft? Probably CB, but it's one of those "pends on" deals. If Baalke thinks one of the top S is within his reach, he could trade up, as he did last draft for Reid. Baalke will want longer-armed guys, so I'm thinking Fuller, Desir, guys like that. For S, I'd be stoked to get Bucannon, who's got a nice mix of cover and thumping skills.

Really REALLY encouraged to read so many posts who have come to understand our FO and how they operate....it makes for far much better (more realistic) expectations.

Guys like Carroll are exactly the type we will target, get, and get at a good price. Remember, even Carlos Rogers wasn't a "big name" when we got him. The Redskins were thrilled to let him walk. When it comes to the secondary, it seems like Baalke is on point acquiring quality players who can play in the farm league of Nickle/Dime (i.e. Brock, Culliver, Cox & Morris) before making the leap to the big leagues as starters (i.e. Brock and potentially Culliver this year). He's acquired these guys from all over the place too (last-shot vets like Nnamdi, a defeated Rogers) and developed the rest like Brown, Brock, Culliver, etc. from late in the draft and as UDFA's.
I'm a little concerned. There is going to be some turnover and there is no guarantee that it will be for the better . There is an opportunity to acquire younger/ better/cheaper players ,but we need to pick up the right guys.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Everyone always wants the sexy addition come free agency but the reality of our situation just doesn't lend itself to that. The 49ers are valuing its LB's and front 7 very high and that means not as much dough for the back end. The MO of Baalke has been to wait until the first wave of signings are complete and look for bargains. Not great talents, but guys who would work well in Fangio's system. The good news is our front 7 is so good that the back-end doesn't need to be as good as other teams to have some success. The Seahawks are an anomaly because they are all young and cheap. That's about to change for them.

What you might see is a stable, average veteran presence who is good enough to start but not so good that he couldn't be pushed by a rookie. The interesting part is what value the 49ers place on their needs. Ie. which comes first? the CB? the safety? the wide receiver? The thinness of our roster here is starting to show as Baalke has had a couple of terrible drafts lately.

I'm glad you brought that up, and I don't want to hijack this thread by going off on a slight tangent, but you raised a concern I have as the 49ers begin to draft for need. I agree with you that Baalke seems to allot most of the cap room (on the defensive side) to the front7 - a good philosophy to building a team defense. As the 49ers use high draft choices on the secondary (Reid in 2013) and perhaps a CB/SS drafted high in 2014, are the 49ers supposed to just let Reid and this blue chip CB walk when it comes time for them to get paid? Logic would say "no". But if that's not the case, and these young DBs are extended, then the cap allotment will slowly drift towards the secondary. Just something for us to think about 3-4 years down the line.

Interesting,thats a tangent well worth going off on lol.Glad you brought that up.

Maybe those guys do walk in time.As long as we stay strong up front and we continue to recycle db's,im fine with them walking.I agree that the front seven is the most important part.But thats alot to hope for honestly.

Great point. But one thing that comes to mind is Baalke hasn't assembled HIS secondary yet...guys like Goldson, Whitner and Brown and Rogers were already here and entrenched. Baalke seems to like bigger more physical CB's and he may now have them in Brock and Culliver. He nabbed Reid, a blue-chipper at critical need position. Has he seen enough of Brown and Whitner (certainly enough of Rogers)? I think even if Brown and Whitner do sign, it may be in the 2-3 year low-end contract with no guarantees they retain their starting position if guys behind them, like Brock did, develop and earn that spot. The fact a guy LIKE Brock earned a starting role should please everyone in NT. That is extremely encouraging and creates a culture for others that they DO have a shot to start (Ian Williams, Alex Boone, etc.).
  • buck
  • Veteran

Your points about accumelated experience and depth are right on the money. Morris is an unproven commodity,so as of now until proven otherwise,I have no faith there yet either.

Morris is a midget.

That is one thing that I really like about him.

Morris is a midget.

That is one thing that I really like about him.

LOL. Perfect for the slot to cover the Harvin's of the world. Keep the big boys outside and prision-rape WR's like Seattle.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Whitner may be a good Safety but his aggressiveness in the Superbowl and last year NFC Championship game hurt the team. Rogers was a smart veteran whom should have not started at nickel against the Seahawks. I believe that Culliver and Brock offer more big plays opportunities and the 49ers will draft a corner early to compete for nickel spot with a veteran.

Cox may come back cheap as well

I've really stopped worrying about our talent levels in the last two seasons. We'll be as loaded as ever this season. What our coaching and QB play will be like is a whole different kettle of fish though. I'd worry about those, not cornerbacks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
of all the things i can over react about,, this free agency stuff is not one of them(however if they do not sign dawson i may get on edge) with this front office i know they have a plan and will follow through when and if we lose some guys. since that plan has brought us a super bowl trip and two trips to the nfc title game i do not worry. once the regular season starts and we start to play the game and i start to see the game plan roman makes up, that is when i worry
We'll sign a DB or two, no.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:
We'll sign a DB or two, no.

if we do not till day 3 when the insanity dies down, i have high hopes they can find some good rookies for the secondary like we did last year
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I'm a little concerned. There is going to be some turnover and there is no guarantee that it will be for the better . There is an opportunity to acquire younger/ better/cheaper players ,but we need to pick up the right guys.

why worry? FA hasn't started, the draft hasn't started...it's not like were are going into week 1 with no dbs
Share 49ersWebzone