LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

49'ers project d-lineman from the UK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if he didn't get injured, he'd be back across the pond by now.
I'm guessing that Tomsula saw enough positive stuff from Okoye to recommend that they keep him around another year and I think that at least indicates that Tomsula still sees the potential for him to be a contributor on the field. He seems to have a lot of passion for the game. Did anyone notice on Bowman's pick six in the Falcon's game that they showed Harbaugh running along the sidelines - until he came up against a human wall that was Okoye who obviously was as excited as anyone about the play.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
if he didn't get injured, he'd be back across the pond by now.

we werent too far removed from the london olympics when he signed. i wonder if it were a non summer olympic year like now would he have even gotten a contract?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I'm not so positive on him.

When he played, he just seemed like he wasn't fond of the contact. No explosion. It's like he just stood up and had a slap fight with the guy across from him.

Would love it if Tomsula could work his genius, but I am far from sold. The guy is a freak of nature though physically.

Well, we did only have about 7 snaps to go off of in PS but you are correct in that he has a long ways to go. He'd be my dark DARK horse pick given his IQ, drive, work ethic and the fact Tomsula took him under his wing. Baalke always says the 2nd year is when he expects everyone to step up their game. This should get interesting and Okoye is just one of these guys!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Correct...Lawrence Okoye.

Had minor knee injury that allowed team to stash him on IR for the year. He'll be in camp this year. Tremendous athlete but didn't really even resemble a football player in the preseason last year.

Yeah but he had literally just started football when we saw him in the preseason.. If I recall, he worked with the D-line some during the year and was at least around the game for a whole year.. Now he'll have a full off-season under his belt. He'll definitely be a long shot, but I'm not going to discredit him for the preseason last year

Good move. Yes, he sustained a knee injuryon the final pre season game, er...so we could stash him on I.R. for a full year, learn the game and be trained by Tomsula, which just happens to be his personal specialty. I'm looking for some marked improvement this off season!

I personally will be interested to see what Tomsula can create out of this "blank slate". He has the physical tools to be a great DLman. He has the attitude and mental make up but the question will be whether he can put all of that skill into being a football player at the level that is needed to be a professional. I think Baalke will have all of Tomsula's feedback as to whether it will work out and then training camp will reveal it or reveal how much progress he has made. I am excited to see if it will come to pass or not.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Correct...Lawrence Okoye.

Had minor knee injury that allowed team to stash him on IR for the year. He'll be in camp this year. Tremendous athlete but didn't really even resemble a football player in the preseason last year.

Yeah but he had literally just started football when we saw him in the preseason.. If I recall, he worked with the D-line some during the year and was at least around the game for a whole year.. Now he'll have a full off-season under his belt. He'll definitely be a long shot, but I'm not going to discredit him for the preseason last year

Good move. Yes, he sustained a knee injuryon the final pre season game, er...so we could stash him on I.R. for a full year, learn the game and be trained by Tomsula, which just happens to be his personal specialty. I'm looking for some marked improvement this off season!

I personally will be interested to see what Tomsula can create out of this "blank slate". He has the physical tools to be a great DLman. He has the attitude and mental make up but the question will be whether he can put all of that skill into being a football player at the level that is needed to be a professional. I think Baalke will have all of Tomsula's feedback as to whether it will work out and then training camp will reveal it or reveal how much progress he has made. I am excited to see if it will come to pass or not.

Blank slate is exactly right. Like my old Learning Psych professor professed, "It's always much easy to learn from a clean slate rather than having to (unlearn) something." Many of these college athletes not only have much to learn but have much to unlearn. This is one reason I'm even more intrigued by Okoye-Tomsula.
IDK he's such a raw work in progress but very coachable. I say they should see if he can become an O-lineman but that's why I'm not a coach.
Better than soap
So wait a second, the knee injury was bogus? I didn't know about that. In fact, I've never even heard that claim before this topic, but I see at least two people mentioning it. Anyone have more details?
Share 49ersWebzone