There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49'ers project d-lineman from the UK

Can't recall the guy's name, but anyone heard any word on the, I believe, shot-putter from England, that the 9'ers signed as a project? Still on the team? A failed project? Practice squad? Whatever? Just curious.
lawrence okoye. he is a better story than a football player right now.
Correct...Lawrence Okoye.

Had minor knee injury that allowed team to stash him on IR for the year. He'll be in camp this year. Tremendous athlete but didn't really even resemble a football player in the preseason last year.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM ]
okoye. he was on IR for all of last season i think. im too lazy to find the link but there's a running thread on him somewhere in here.
Okoye is an amazing athlete even by NFL standards. And last training camp, he actually seemed to be able to take the pounding without crawling into a corner and crying. He needs to learn to play the game - there's a lot more to it than a lot of people realize. He needs to develop the vision and the presence in the midst of chaos to make the right decisions.

No reason to count him out though. I'm still hoping he can be extraordinary and become a wildcard. It would be a great story.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Had minor knee injury that allowed team to stash him on IR for the year. He'll be in camp this year. Tremendous athlete but didn't really even resemble a football player in the preseason last year.

Yeah but he had literally just started football when we saw him in the preseason.. If I recall, he worked with the D-line some during the year and was at least around the game for a whole year.. Now he'll have a full off-season under his belt. He'll definitely be a long shot, but I'm not going to discredit him for the preseason last year
One thing he's got going for him is his smarts. Dude has a deferred enrollment to a prestigious UK law school, so there's no question he's very bright. That will help him learn the nuances of the game faster...I hope. I'm pulling for him because it's a cool story, and the dude could be an amazing player.
Really nice guy too! Saw him at the safeway in milpitas. He looked surprised that i recognized him, but after that he went out of his way to find out my name and have a nice conversation with me. Rooting for him!!!!!!
I'm rooting for just because it would make such a great story. Glad to hear he's still in the mix. Thanks for the updates.
Originally posted by Cooper22:

Yeah but he had literally just started football when we saw him in the preseason.. If I recall, he worked with the D-line some during the year and was at least around the game for a whole year.. Now he'll have a full off-season under his belt. He'll definitely be a long shot, but I'm not going to discredit him for the preseason last year

Good move. Yes, he sustained a knee injuryon the final pre season game, er...so we could stash him on I.R. for a full year, learn the game and be trained by Tomsula, which just happens to be his personal specialty. I'm looking for some marked improvement this off season!
It'd be great if we could get him to start contributing.
i think i heard that he's really fast for his size so he could have ST value maybe
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cooper22:

Good move. Yes, he sustained a knee injuryon the final pre season game, er...so we could stash him on I.R. for a full year, learn the game and be trained by Tomsula, which just happens to be his personal specialty. I'm looking for some marked improvement this off season!

I'm not so positive on him.

When he played, he just seemed like he wasn't fond of the contact. No explosion. It's like he just stood up and had a slap fight with the guy across from him.

Would love it if Tomsula could work his genius, but I am far from sold. The guy is a freak of nature though physically.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by lucky_49:
i think i heard that he's really fast for his size so he could have ST value maybe

He would have been the ultimate wedge buster if they still allowed the wedge formation.
noob