There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will Lattimore Bury Hunter In Depth?

Will Lattimore Bury Hunter In Depth?

I think it's going to come down to his ability to block or not? If he can't block, he won't be seeing the field often. I hope he can pick up that aspect of the game rather quickly. I think that's another reason LMJ hasn't surpassed Hunter on the depth chart... Hunter is a better blocker! People - look at what Gore does on the field. He is very likely the "best" run blocker in the league. He is so smart, such great vision. I see similar qualities in Lattimore but we will have to see if he can block or not? I hope he can and can withstand the rigors of the NFL.
Originally posted by jbeale49:
I don't want to see Lattimore running different runs than gore. That has always been an issue with hunter and LMJ. when they are in the game, everyone knows what is coming.

THIS. I think giving certain RBs series to work with is the best option. If we want to go with Gore and Lattimore, then let Hunter come in to spell either back when they are tired etc. LMJ IMO should be used as kick returner/punt returner if we want to continue to use him there AND used a handful of plays per game lined up as a WR for screen passes, reverses, other gadget plays. At least teams will have to account for him when out there, even when we run a simple run up the gut.
Future Starter.... As long as he stays healthy...
  • Amir
  • Veteran
how about this guy makes it thru one entire season without getting hurt before he gets put ahead of Hunter.
Originally posted by Amir:
how about this guy makes it thru one entire season without getting hurt before he gets put ahead of Hunter.

I'm confused by this. Are you saying that Lattimore got hurt last season? If that is in fact what you are saying do you watch the draft or any sports related shows? Lattimore got hurt in college and was drafted with no intentions of him playing last season. The plan was to "red shirt" him a year until fully healthy then gradually let him take the reins from gore. Obviously he will have to stay healthy to keep the lead role but it's his to lose. I love hunter and hope he gets his shot but I want the best guy out there no matter who it is! Our play calling will have to be less predictable if any of them are going to have success though!
He'll get worked in slowly.

As he improves he'll get more snaps until he starts to "break-out"

Gore will teach him the art of blocking and this will be crucial to more playing time.

I HOPE we trade LMJ during the draft.

Always like Jewel maybe he's a diamond in the rough.

or how about a nice run or two in the preseason to confirm the guy can actually play at this level after 1 serious knee injury and 1 catastrophic knee injury.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
people in a hurry to either want to put frank out to pasture or demote hunter. do not understand either. I am all for speculation but can not understand how you discuss a guy who has never taken a nfl snap unseating a established valuable player on our team
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MTninerfan:

I'm confused by this. Are you saying that Lattimore got hurt last season? If that is in fact what you are saying do you watch the draft or any sports related shows? Lattimore got hurt in college and was drafted with no intentions of him playing last season. The plan was to "red shirt" him a year until fully healthy then gradually let him take the reins from gore. Obviously he will have to stay healthy to keep the lead role but it's his to lose. I love hunter and hope he gets his shot but I want the best guy out there no matter who it is! Our play calling will have to be less predictable if any of them are going to have success though!

he didn't play at all last year. (I understand that was a decision by our team)
got hurt the year before
got hurt the year before that

don't know what you didn't understand
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He'll get worked in slowly.

As he improves he'll get more snaps until he starts to "break-out"

Gore will teach him the art of blocking and this will be crucial to more playing time.

I HOPE we trade LMJ during the draft.

Always like Jewel maybe he's a diamond in the rough.
in my opinion you can not trade james unless you have a person lined up to replace him in punt and kick returns. part of me wants to say that roman has no clue how to use james so why is he here anyway ,, but i will restrain my self
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MTninerfan:

he didn't play at all last year. (I understand that was a decision by our team)
got hurt the year before
got hurt the year before that

don't know what you didn't understand

a majority of us know exactly what amir was saying(and agree 100 per cent),,,,, i just hate it when posters act stupid on purpose. at least when I act stupid it is the most natural thing in the world
Originally posted by Disp:
I really hope they don't forget about Hunter this year. I think the guy has the capability of being an every down back, and was horribly underused this past year. I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I'd rather have Hunter as more of the feature back this coming season over Gore because he's just so explosive, has outstanding ball security, and his pass protection has developed very well. If there's one back that should get the short end of the stick it's LMJ.

Not gonna lie; I'm gonna be pretty mad if they let him walk in free agency or trade him. I think on a lot of other teams without such a crowded backfield the dude would be a star.

I agree Hunter was not used enough last season and to have Lattimore dwendiling his snaps this season might be a problem
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
He gonn' sink hiz balls up to the hilt...

Wah??
Originally posted by cciowa:
people in a hurry to either want to put frank out to pasture or demote hunter. do not understand either. I am all for speculation but can not understand how you discuss a guy who has never taken a nfl snap unseating a established valuable player on our team

Well put, but the point I was trying to make out is he probably wont knock Hunter down in snaps. Either way your right this would have been a better discussion for the preseason.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Well put, but the point I was trying to make out is he probably wont knock Hunter down in snaps. Either way your right this would have been a better discussion for the preseason.
understand and was not trying to be snarky to you!!