There are 238 users in the forums

Do you think Mario Manningham can make a comeback?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you think Mario Manningham can make a comeback?

• SaksV
  • Veteran
I was just thinking about this guy the other day. Man, has he become a forgotten player. I know it's highly unlikely he can come back from his knee injuries, but I was just wanting to know what y'all thought his chances were?

What if the team keeps him on the roster for OTAs/Minicamp and he looks pretty good?...does this change our plans as far as drafting a WR?
Maybe we go DB in the first rounds and WR later??

Prior to his injuries, Manningham was a good number 3 and at times could play #2....

Would you rather a recovered Manningham with his low contract competing with Quinton Patton for #3 or a 1st rounder who's playing time might not equal his contract size?

If there was a thread for this already, my apologies.

EDIT: I didn't realize his contract was over this year...duh. lol
[ Edited by SaksV on Mar 4, 2014 at 6:53 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Rookie, by a mile. Manningham is cool but he's likely never going to play again. He may eek out a couple of more years on bad teams just for the money cause a contender won't have him as more than emergency depth.

This the contract details of Cordarrelle Patterson, drafted 29th by the Vikings.....

7/25/2013: Signed a four-year, $6.816 million contract. The deal included a $3,631,672 signing bonus. 2014: $733,229, 2015: $1,061,458, 2016: $1,009,687 (+ $280,000 roster bonus + $100,000 workout bonus), 2017: Free Agent

I'd take that any day or a second round WR, cut that contract in half and you get the numbers of Aaron Dobson, selected 59th by the Patriots. 6/20/2013: Signed a four-year, $3.428 million contract. The deal contains $1.173 million guaranteed, including an $873,360 signing bonus. 2014: $560,835, 2015: $716,670, 2016: $872,505, 2017: Free Agent

Rio will be 28 3 weeks after the draft. At this point we have better younger players as emergency depth than him.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM ]
Totally done.
Odds are he's done but with an extra 6+ months to recover, don't count him out. His explosion off the LOS, quickness, ability to create insane separation in close quarters immediately after the snap, etc. is exactly what this offense needs esp. in the RZ.

So all that said, he is one of my dark horses this year and he may surprise.
He's done ...which is a shame , I had high hopes for the offense when he joined the team
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If his career is over it was ended by those cheapshots from Seattle.
Nope.. DONEZOOO
career wise? yeah probably. on this team? doubt it.
Originally posted by crabman82:
career wise? yeah probably. on this team? doubt it.

vice versa?
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I think he's pretty much done too....I just hate seeing guys lose their career/job over these unfortunate accidents and can't help but root for em.

With that said, the chances of him playing again in 2014 gotta be better than they were last year. I makes me wonder if we made a mistake and rushed him back too soon.

I do feel bad for Rio. He's a solid dude who unfortunately falls in that average career-span of a NFL player (4 yrs or so counting the time he's spent injured or rehabbing).
Welcome to retirement Mario.
No. Don't want him. Never did never will. Waste of 2 seasons. Carry on as you were.
I like Manningham, don't want him back whatsoever. What are you going to do, put him in front of a promising young player like Patton? Then you'd have Patton and potentially a rookie sitting behind Manningham who at best is a short-term solution. If he's not brought back as a #3 then there's no point to having him around either.

I'm tired of the band-aid's and I want the 49ers to finally develop some receivers of their own. Patton plus another rookie or two to go along with Crabtree and Boldin is a good start.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM ]
He can make a comeback, and land himself on a team that is desperate for a WR with some experience, but it won't be on this team. With Boldin back and Crabtree healthy for an entire seasons, Patton is the niners number three and he showed some real flashes towards the end of the season. Draft a 1 round WR and then another later in rounds and we will be STACKED offensively.
Share 49ersWebzone